Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:02 AM

238 posts, read 178,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
1. Someone said "ugly american attitude" and it all about me

Actually it the opposite, its about our kids and their future in THIS country.

2. Majority rule, democracy...who is the majority, illegals, democracy, is this school giving tax payers a choice not to learn Spanish by force?

we live in America not mexico.
When "majority rules" is all that matters then we should start ignoring the law to pay taxes since "majority" doesnt want to pay them...

No, - you're either out of touch or just plain argumentative. There's too much hysteria in your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 11:52 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,728,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountianboomer View Post
No, - you're either out of touch or just plain argumentative. There's too much hysteria in your response.
I can tell by your response that you do not live in California. I lived in Dallas up until four years ago. North Texas is practically illegal alien free when compared to Southern California, so I suppose that we can forgive you your ignorance since you claim Irving to be home.

What you see in ducter's response is not hysteria. It is the normal reaction of the majority of the middle class who have not yet fled illegal alien infested areas of this country. Southern California is Mexico. There is absolutely no doubt about it. Amazingly enough, there are a few Americans out here in Mexifornia, and I include myself in those numbers, who resent the fact that our beautiful state is being invaded and taken over without a single shot being fired. Well, unless of course, you count the inordinate amount of gang violence perpetuated by illegal alien members of such lovely organizations as MS 13.

Hysteria? No, I don't think so. Don't be so quick to judge until you spend some time in a part of the country that has been taken over by illegal aliens. I'm afraid you're rather isolated from the invasion there in Irving, Texas. Why don't you move down to Brownsville? That should be an eye-opening experience for you.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:28 PM

73 posts, read 402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
1. Someone said "ugly american attitude" and it all about me

Actually it the opposite, its about our kids and their future in THIS country.

2. Majority rule, democracy...who is the majority, illegals, democracy, is this school giving tax payers a choice not to learn Spanish by force?

we live in America not mexico.
When "majority rules" is all that matters then we should start ignoring the law to pay taxes since "majority" doesnt want to pay them...

You sound like my mother. She was worried about the future of America and her kids, too. In fact, I repeated a spanish word to her, that someone taught me in the second grade, and got a hard slap to the mouth from my mother. I don't speak any language other than English, and I don't feel my life's any better for it. I would be the same American if I spoke and understood Spanish, too.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:08 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,498,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I can tell by your response that you do not live in California. I lived in Dallas up until four years ago. North Texas is practically illegal alien free when compared to Southern California, so I suppose that we can forgive you your ignorance since you claim Irving to be home.

What you see in ducter's response is not hysteria. It is the normal reaction of the majority of the middle class who have not yet fled illegal alien infested areas of this country. Southern California is Mexico. There is absolutely no doubt about it. Amazingly enough, there are a few Americans out here in Mexifornia, and I include myself in those numbers, who resent the fact that our beautiful state is being invaded and taken over without a single shot being fired. Well, unless of course, you count the inordinate amount of gang violence perpetuated by illegal alien members of such lovely organizations as MS 13.

Hysteria? No, I don't think so.
This native Californian would consider your attitude hysteria. Why don't you focus your anger on groups that deserve it like MS13 rather than on all Latinos? MS13, btw,are Central American, not Mexican, and should be on the list of terrorist organizations - even if the Al Qaeda link rumors aren't true, there's enough that they have done for them to qualify. They have certainly caused more violence in the US than some groups on the terrorist list, for example, ETA or 17 November. (I am NOT defending those Euro terrorist groups, btw, but neither of them has ever been responsible for any violence on US soil, and ETA afaik has never had any American victims) Blame criminals and extremists, but don't blame an entire ethnic group.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:09 PM

355 posts, read 841,317 times
I've yet to hear a response regarding the evils of acquiring a second language, only the circumstances in which second language learning is being implemented.

I don't know a single person who has studied a foreign language, enjoyed doing so, and exclaimed, "Man, I'm glad I didn't have to learn this in primary school. I love the challenge of language learning as an adult."

If you consider the plusses of foreign language acquisition, I think they outweigh any sort of "catering to illegals" (which is an arguable reason in the first place). Besides, having a command over a second language will not only work favorably in university admissions, but in the workforce as well.

Again, if you reside within a school district that is implementing Spanish into the coursework, and you have a bone to pick with the Spanish language, then petition to implement a different language-- but be prepared to explain its relevance over Spanish in the United States and N. America today.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:23 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,631,013 times
I am still trying to figure out why we NEED to learn this. Why cant they learn English??? I know three languages, none of them spanish. I dont like the language, really errks the spanish speakers when I respond in german. Hey whats good for the goose they say..

Old 03-23-2007, 05:44 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,498,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
I've yet to hear a response regarding the evils of acquiring a second language, only the circumstances in which second language learning is being implemented.

I don't know a single person who has studied a foreign language, enjoyed doing so, and exclaimed, "Man, I'm glad I didn't have to learn this in primary school. I love the challenge of language learning as an adult."

If you consider the plusses of foreign language acquisition, I think they outweigh any sort of "catering to illegals" (which is an arguable reason in the first place). Besides, having a command over a second language will not only work favorably in university admissions, but in the workforce as well.

Again, if you reside within a school district that is implementing Spanish into the coursework, and you have a bone to pick with the Spanish language, then petition to implement a different language-- but be prepared to explain its relevance over Spanish in the United States and N. America today.
Personally, I'm very happy that I studied Spanish in college after doing French in high school. I wish I had learned both at a younger age. And people should realize this has nothing to do with illegal immigrants.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:23 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,728,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
This native Californian would consider your attitude hysteria. Why don't you focus your anger on groups that deserve it like MS13 rather than on all Latinos? MS13, btw,are Central American, not Mexican, and should be on the list of terrorist organizations - even if the Al Qaeda link rumors aren't true, there's enough that they have done for them to qualify. They have certainly caused more violence in the US than some groups on the terrorist list, for example, ETA or 17 November. (I am NOT defending those Euro terrorist groups, btw, but neither of them has ever been responsible for any violence on US soil, and ETA afaik has never had any American victims) Blame criminals and extremists, but don't blame an entire ethnic group.
You are living in Texas. I guess it's a good thing for you that you don't have to be confronted by any of this Southern California hysteria. While I did live in Dallas for 24 years, I too am a native Californian who has been back for four years. You are correct in assuming that Mara Salvatrucha 13 is comprised mainly South Americans, particularly Salvadorans, Hondurans, and Guatemalans, but they are actively recruiting Mexicans. Most of the Mexican gang members in California are illegal aliens. There have been numerous studies regarding this particular phenomena in Los Angeles county. Additionally, I happen be acquainted with many of L.A.'s finest. I didn't just pull this tidbit of information out of thin air. I heard it straight from the source, and they are telling me that more and more members of the Mara Salvatrucha 13 are illegal aliens from Mexico. If any one organization knows gangs, it is the Los Angeles Police Department.

I don't consider that ALL Latinos are to blame for the ills cause by illegal immigration any more than I consider the Irish to blame if I buy a rotten potato in the supermarket. My anger is not toward Latinos. I work with a group fighting illegal immigration. We work closely with another organization called "You Don't Speak for Me" comprised of LEGAL Hispanic immigrants and multiple generations of Mexican Americans. I am a big fan of legal immigrants and the children of legal immigrants. I am the granddaugher of legal immigrants. Notice that LEGAL is the operative word here? Make no mistake, we are all fighting against the same thing and we are united in this cause.

You may be a native Californian, but living in Irving, Texas, you are FAR removed from the devastating effects of illegal immigration. Last time I checked, Parkland Hospital in Dallas was delivering lots of illegal alien babies, but North Texas wasn't losing hospitals and emergency rooms at the rate of 63 in less than three years, bankrupt because illegal aliens used the facilities as primary care providers and then skipped out on the bill. Texans are not forking over 10.5 BILLION dollars every year in social services and incarceration costs for illegal aliens. You don't have to pass a corner that illegals have turned into a day labor hang-out every day on your way to school and listen to the cat-calls, the nasty words they think you can't understand, or watch them grab their crotches when you walk by, with nowhere to go to get away from them because they are on all four corners of that intersection and the police have better things to do than chase illegal aliens who will only return once they are gone. I go through that gauntlet every Monday through Thursday, twice a day. It is likely that you never been beaten by a crowd of illegal alien men for the crime of being a blonde woman in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have and I will carry the injuries caused to my back to my grave; inflicted upon me by a culture which regards women as second class citizens. And because I just can't walk into a hospital and be treated without having to pay for it since I am an uninsured student who could no longer afford insurance once I went back to school, I get to live with the pain.

Nothing in my post that you quoted indicated that I blame all Hispanics for illegal immigration. That is idiotic for you to even assume. However, most of the people who are illegal immigration apologists love to point the racist finger so that they don't actually have to confront the issue. Nicely done.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:04 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,084,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I'm so glad that you were able to send your children to private school. Unfortunately, here in Southern California where the typical one room tar paper shack rents for $3,000 a month, it just isn't an option for many of us. I think that it's rather presumptuous and well as a tad arrogant of you to assume that just because parents cannot afford private school tuition that they can't afford the children they've had.

My husband, who is a Ph.D. in English Literature, teaches at UC Irvine. I am a full time student in college working on my Anthropology B.A. (on a merit scholarship, I might add). You may not be aware of it, but those who are teaching your children in this state's colleges are not even paid a living wage and must supplement their income by working at more than one college. My husband had heretofore been unable to do so because we were solely responsible for the care of his elderly father before Dad passed away three weeks ago.

We rarely go out to eat, we don't take trips, we own our home, we don't spend our non-existent extra cash going to Disneyland or living the California dream. We barely get by. So please, explain to me exactly how I can rob Peter to pay Paul so that my ten year old son may also partake in this "affordable" private schooling.

I pay taxes in the state. Lots of them. My tax dollars should offer my child a decent education without having to have Spanish shoved down his throat simply because those people in education who worship the deity called "Diversity" can't get their rocks unless they continue to blur the lines between what is legal and what is not.
For So. Calif., this post is all very accurate... many making what much of our nation would consider very good income, people can barely get by these days, and from here you have less and less incomes producing more and more poverty till it ends up in the streets because many cannot go back to school and are earning between $8-$12 per hr. so have 'no' way to afford a place of their own to rent let alone buy. Teachers are woefully underpaid in Calif. and maybe this is why they are shipping in teachers from other countries?

Old 03-23-2007, 11:26 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,148,977 times
We learned spanish in elementary school in the 60s and I wish I had learned more. In high school I was given the choice between spanish and french and took french. I wish a foreign language was taught to my children in elementary school- they had no choice either. They couldn't take it because it isn't offered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies