Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:43 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Uh, since we give Egypt almost as much aid as Israel, do we also get to tell the Egyptians what to do? Or is this turning into just another Jew-hating thread?

U.S. Foreign Aid Summary

USAID Feature: Egypt Stories - U.S. Aid to Egypt Totals $28 Billion in Three Decades (http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/features/egypt/ - broken link)
Do you intentionally mislead? Conservative estimates of total US aid to Israel are around 114 Billion....LOL 4x your 28 Billion to Egypt.

http://www.wrmea.com/html/us_aid_to_israel.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Don't know what you're LOL-ing about. Probably a medication thing?

And as far as criticism of Israel is concerned, little else is taking place in this thread and in the dozens more like it that appear consistently on this Forum.
I have yet to see a thread critical of Egypt, though...

As for Jew-hating, just think of all the times in history it has been a convenient way for folks to initiate their own pet "solutions" to social and political problems.

If thinking about history is in your arsenal, that is....
The guy can't help himself...he's gone from slipping in "jew hating" to Nazi references.."solutions"...LOL

This is typical...Any thread...they've got to throw these things in...."hating jews" and "Nazi's"..

This is how they would stifle debate in the past...Just throw these things out and people would just stop.....

But it doesn't work anymore.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:00 PM

316 posts, read 596,121 times
This is information regarding the recognition of Jerusalem as the UNDIVIDED Israeli capital.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_Embassy_ActAlso does anyone have any source of information or recollection regarding Hillary Clinton's supprot for the PLO?Please keep the religion thing out of debate. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:51 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
Grantes. However, certainly you would agree that, all conditions being met, according to the finest expectations of the United States, regarding those funds.

Think about it. The Unites States funds tens of states around the world. Oh, by the way, as of today, the United States recognizes an UNDIVIDED Jerusalem, as the Israeli capital.

So surely, in essence, back to the first point. Should not Soverign Israeli housing laws not be made into a international case. Bottom line. Houses built illegaly are subject to laws the world around!

Please reply.
I must ask you to better clarify your question as it seems to be a double negative and I'm not clear as to what exactly you are asking.

As to other posters... My apologies, I keep forgetting that one is not allowed in this country to make note of US foreign aid to Israel without also mentioning other countries as some kind of twisted qualifier to intentionally obfuscate any meaningful discussion on the issue.

Since I didn't list ALL the other nations who also receive US foreign aid, I guess this once again makes me an Antisemitic neo Nazi American hating KKK member... I guess I'll go get my robe and light a cross now.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:15 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Dear Rabbi,
Reality is stronger then any principle. It reminds me of posters who question if Obama can (or cannot) introduce policies that may not correspond with the founding fathers principles. And we should stick to what the founding fathers envisioned, no matter what.
The reality is that it doesn't matter if Israel is a sovereign state and can have domestic policies. What matters is that the US is in the position to question, oppose or even dictate in some instances. And unlike Bush, Obama promised that he will be proactive and seek a solution. Reaching a solution may require twisting arms and forcing some policies on both sides. In the past it didn't work. Bush (maybe because he wanted to avoid another failure) stayed out of the game. Obama seems to tackle all problems simultaneously and will try a frontal attack on Israel/Palestinian conflict.
Quote:
Two Quick Points:

1)
During Bill Clinton's first run for president in 1992, there was much talk about checks Hillary Clinton had sent to the P.L.O. I can't seem to find information about this now however. Does anybody recall this, or have any more information. It would prove very interesting visa ve here current (and true) posture regarding Israel.

2)
Hillary Clinton today gave Israel a whole talk about how wrong it is for Israel to dismantel Illegaly built homes in East Jerusalem.

Can somebody please explain how Israel's sovereign laws suddenly became the bussiness of the United States Secratary of State.

Thank You.

(I noticed the following letter, written by the Orthodox Union. ou.com!)
Dear Secretary Clinton:
As you visit the holy city of Jerusalem – which you have long recognized is the eternal and indivisible capital of Israel and the Jewish People – for the first time as our Secretary of State, we write to you to express our disappointment and disagreement with your statements regarding illegally constructed Palestinian homes in East Jerusalem.
You stated that Israel’s plans to demolish more than eighty such illegally constructed homes are “unhelpful and not in keeping with the obligations entered into under the ‘road map’” and that it is an issue you “intend to raise with the government of Israel…”
Madame Secretary, as you well know, Israel is the sole democracy in the Mideast and thus possesses a feature integral to democratic nations – an open and fair legal system. Thus, it is not only appropriate but necessary for the rule of law to govern. As such, illegally constructed homes in East Jerusalem should be removed, and any suggestion to the contrary mocks the laws of a just and democratic state. We note that the enforcement of similar Israeli laws has been urged by the United States regarding illegally constructed Israeli homes in other parts of Israel.
We hope and expect that as Secretary of State you will champion democracy and the rule of law throughout the globe, and not sacrifice such bedrock American values in the furtherance of competing diplomatic goals.
We request that you re-assess and clarify your statement on this matter.
We would be pleased and honored to discuss this matter with you further if this would be helpful to you.
Sincerely,
Stephen Savitsky, President
Rabbi Tzvi Hersh Weinreb, Executive Vice President
Mark Bane, Chairman, Public Policy
Nathan J. Diament, Director, Public Policy

Last edited by oberon_1; 03-05-2009 at 08:25 PM..

Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 PM

Default Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Dear Rabbi,
Reality is stronger then any principle. It reminds me of posters who question if Obama can (or cannot) introduce policies that may not correspond with the founding fathers principles. And we should stick to what the founding fathers envisioned, no matter what.
The reality is that it doesn't matter if Israel is a sovereign state and can have domestic policies. What matters is that the US is in the position to question, oppose or even dictate in some instances. And unlike Bush, Obama promised that he will be proactive and seek a solution. Reaching a solution may require twisting arms and forcing some policies on both sides. In the past it didn't work. Bush (maybe because he wanted to avoid another failure) stayed out of the game. Obama seems to tackle all problems simultaneously and will try a frontal attack on Israel/Palestinian conflict.
Thank you for your direct response.

I do linger however with the question as to how domestic policy can be dictated to, when the United States recognizes Israel's independence, (obviously,) and as well recognizes Jerusalem as Israel's undivided capital.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your direct response.

I do linger however with the question as to how domestic policy can be dictated to, when the United States recognizes Israel's independence, (obviously,) and as well recognizes Jerusalem as Israel's undivided capital.
You would have made a great defender of the South African Aparthied system.

Afterall, who's business was it of any country to meddle in their Domestic policy????

Old 03-06-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You would have made a great defender of the South African Aparthied system.

Afterall, who's business was it of any country to meddle in their Domestic policy????
Perhaps.

Are you refering to Grand Aparthied or Petty?

In any case, the imposition of Aparthied system was forged, applied, upheld, and finally dismantaled by the internal government of South Africa.

It's shortcomings were pointedly pronounced and rediculed by its own designer.

I'm not however quite sure how this all comes into play regarding the fact that the United States recognizes UNDIVIDED Jerusalem, as Israel's capital.

Please Explain.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:41 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Do you intentionally mislead? Conservative estimates of total US aid to Israel are around 114 Billion....LOL 4x your 28 Billion to Egypt.

WRMEA: U.S. Aid to Israel
Your unsourced estimates vs. USAID's figures.

I win.

Uh, LOL.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:42 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
The guy can't help himself...he's gone from slipping in "jew hating" to Nazi references.."solutions"...LOL

This is typical...Any thread...they've got to throw these things in...."hating jews" and "Nazi's"..

This is how they would stifle debate in the past...Just throw these things out and people would just stop.....

But it doesn't work anymore.
It apparently works for you. You're reduced to ellipses now. And only one LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies