Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:46 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Obama promised no earmarks - no pork
Citation? Not that any of us would lack faith or trust in any of Your Greatness's proclamations...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 08:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Citation? Not that any of us would lack faith or trust in any of Your Greatness's proclamations...
Campaign promises - he said he would through budgets "line by line" and scratch out the pork -

President Barack Obama will break a campaign pledge and sign a budget bill laden with millions in lawmakers' pet projects, administration officials said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/03/01/budget-chief-obama-sign-spending/ (broken link)

Old 03-07-2009, 08:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingprof View Post
Obama's budget has $500,000,000 less in earmarks than former president Bush's Budget before. There are 7.7 billion dollars in earmarks in obama's package. In one of bushes budgets at the highest there were 17 billion dollars in earmarks. IM not defending Obama I am just giving a comparison.
Did Bush make campaign promise after promise to go through appropriation bills and reject earmarks? Did Obama not also say that there were no earmarks in the first bill? Now I will go along with anybody who says that the people who thought he would veto earmarks weren't very well informed about the government of the US. Anybody with any knowledge, at all, knows that the President does not have the item veto. He has to veto the whole bill or no part of it. I will wait patiently to see how many of those things he ever vetoes the next 4 years. It is all or nothing and he won't be able to take Nasty Nancy down with a total veto of one of her laboriously written earmark bills.

His promise was just a campaign promise to "buy" some votes and it worked very well, but too many of his promises, like this one, have been forgotten like all campaign promises are expected to be.

All you have proved here is that both those men gave in to the Congress they were controlled by. As I heard some Democrats from the Congress say the other day 40% of the pork in this one was Republican generated. In other words, you scratch my back and I will scratch yours as we trade pork. The damned fool taxpayers will only gripe a while and then pay their taxes so we can pay for our pork.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Campaign promises - he said he would through budgets "line by line" and scratch out the pork -

President Barack Obama will break a campaign pledge and sign a budget bill laden with millions in lawmakers' pet projects, administration officials said.

Obama Will Sign Spending Bill Despite Earmarks - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/03/01/budget-chief-obama-sign-spending/ - broken link)
Stick in there with Saganista while I go do some research to tell him just when the man made those promises that took in all kinds of fools.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Here some things i promised you through Greatday. Read and listen and then tell me what you think about The Man.

"As president, I will make it impossible for congressmen or lobbyists to slip pork-barrel projects or corporate welfare into laws when no one is looking, because when I am president, meetings where laws are written will be more open to the public. No more secrecy," Obama said as he outlined the plan at a campaign speech in Green Bay, Wis.

"When there is a tax bill being debated in Congress, you will know the names of the corporations that would benefit and how much money they would get," Obama said. "And we will put every corporate tax break and every pork-barrel project online for every American to see. You will know who asked for them, and you can cast your vote accordingly."

In his speech Monday, Obama pledged never to sign legislation into law, except in emergencies, without giving the public five days to review it online.

This comes from Truthout and you will notice that some of it is quoted from Obama. This was taken from Truthout on September 22, 2008.

Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Ethics

You can listen to the video right here on his own web site. listen very carefully after about 1 1/2 minutes to hear the words he is telling that audience. Remember it is his own website.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:46 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
These are NOT absurd programs.

Ag manure mgt is a need item because pig sh** is damaging the environment in many place in the country. Have you ever smelled a big pig farm or seen what the storm runoff can do to a recreational lake?

We are drinking and exporting more wine than ever. This subsidized the grape growers and users

Crickets and spiders carry disease and eat a great many crops. If you understand them you can kill them and reduce the damage to crops.

Catfish are a major agricultural business in the south. Understanding the genetics can lead to lower cost and healthier fish.

Note - all of these were for agriculture and/or agribusiness.

Where do I start? OK, folks, we have missed the obvious.

We don't need government money to research poop. It's there, clean it up. Research is not required, as I'm sure we know all there is to know about poop already. And what about the cow poots? How much is earmarked for that study? Hey, pigs poot, too!

If we are "drinking and exporting more wine than ever", seems that the growers can fund their own research with the profits. Why do they need subsidies? Wine users don't need grape research. Unless it's to document the effects of wine....but that's already been done quite extensively. I live near California wine country and the vinyards seem to be doing well. They are very affluent.

Spiders are considered beneficial to crops, as they are meat-eaters, not vegans and eliminate many pests that are. I doubt that potential crop damage by spiders is the subject of any serious research. And when was the last time someone caught a cold from a cricket?

The catfish project has merit, but the farmers are doing just fine at this time. The study could be funded by existing grants and farmers associations. Hey, ichthyologists need something to do, too!

Old 03-08-2009, 04:55 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,314 times
I see saganista has been MIA since his challenges to the truth were 'met'.
The lack of....is a good thing.
As Bernie Goldberg says "A Slobbering Love Affair".

Old 03-08-2009, 05:02 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
If Barry's pork give-aways are so important, I would want the greedy bottom half the wage earners to contribute to them as well.

This is a both party pork effort......Barak isn't writing it, they are.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
I see saganista has been MIA since his challenges to the truth were 'met'.
Yeah - I noticed that too !

Old 03-08-2009, 09:40 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Your claim again was...

Obama promised no earmarks - no pork

You start by scaling that claim back by 50%. Namely the 50% that has actually been under discussion. This doesn't bode well. You also offer no citations from Obama at all. That doesn't bode well either, since you attribute the promise directly to him.

The line-by-line pledge meanwhile refers to his own efforts at going through the existing budget and crossing things out as part of preparing his own budget. The first budget he will produce is that for FY 2010. You have seen his outline of it already, the details are expected in April.

The omnibus spending bill meanwhile is a bundling of nine of the customary twelve FY 2009 appropriations bills that were written but not passed in 2008 by the 110th Congress. The President does not have line-item veto authority. Once the omnibus bill arrives on his desk, he cannot strike any individual item within it. He can only either sign the bill or veto it in its entirety. As he has said all along, Obama will sign the bill despite his distaste for the number and volume of earmarks that were put in it back in the days when he was just a Senator because the bill itself is an important step in allowing agencies to function normally over the remainder of this fiscal year.

So you are left with no argument at all for the first half of your proclamation, and no argument that holds any water with respect to the second. You are oh-for-two. You are batting .000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies