Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 03:55 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
What would you start with? You suggest that there is "MASSIVE fat" there....well, what would you cut?
To start with and even before delving into a single program, I would close at least several over seas bases, namely in Korea and Europe. Additionally, reduce our nuclear arsenal, because either a deterrent works or it does not. Did having massive nuclear capability prevent 9-11? The face of warfare has changed a great deal, and while I'm not suggesting ending it, the cost and maintenance of such weapons systems is staggering. Then there is the Fiscal Year 2009 budget requests $183.8 billion in modernization to meet future threats, an $8.3 billion increase or 4.7 percent over the Fiscal Year 2008 enacted level of $175.5 billion. This includes procurement, as well as research and development. While I like toys and gizmonics as much as the next person, using million dollar bombs to destroy 100 dollar tents is not a sensible means to fight a war.

The United States spends as much as the next 14 of the worlds largest nations COMBINED and yet we struggle in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Its not that we don't have good systems, it is that we are still acting like were fighting the cold war against an enemy that no longer exist except in the fantasy's of Pentagon types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 03:55 PM

504 posts, read 902,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
That's good! Who's smart or not in Congress is a concern to you only as entertainment! God bless you!
Why do you say God Bless when your an Atheist?

Old 03-05-2009, 03:58 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Hahahaha!!! Hahahahaha!!! Oh Lordy Hahahahaha!!! Oh my!!!
More in depth right-wing commentary...from those who claim genius offspring. Oh well. Meanwhile, America's only left-handed, gay, Jewish, Congressman does not always speak like the intellect that he is. Nevertheless, he is a whiz with both fact and concept and is a master verbal tactician. Critics understimate him at their own quite considerable peril...

Old 03-05-2009, 03:59 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
I'm speaking in a language he can understand.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Ouch, That will hurt the persons feelings!
I see your major is business which = money and the reason why you really like Barney Frank! Because that is all Frank is about "MONEY" frankly speaking of course.. Frank sold us out wake up!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:02 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Ah, that was Bushspeak, then....

Old 03-05-2009, 04:03 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
To start with and even before delving into a single program, I would close at least several over seas bases, namely in Korea and Europe. Additionally, reduce our nuclear arsenal, because either a deterrent works or it does not. Did having massive nuclear capability prevent 9-11? The face of warfare has changed a great deal, and while I'm not suggesting ending it, the cost and maintenance of such weapons systems is staggering. Then there is the Fiscal Year 2009 budget requests $183.8 billion in modernization to meet future threats, an $8.3 billion increase or 4.7 percent over the Fiscal Year 2008 enacted level of $175.5 billion. This includes procurement, as well as research and development. While I like toys and gizmonics as much as the next person, using million dollar bombs to destroy 100 dollar tents is not a sensible means to fight a war.

The United States spends as much as the next 14 of the worlds largest nations COMBINED and yet we struggle in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Its not that we don't have good systems, it is that we are still acting like were fighting the cold war against an enemy that no longer exist except in the fantasy's of Pentagon types.

Gotta say....very good response. I actually did not expect a thought out response.

I'll agree that we've probably got some bases that we could stand to close. I also agree that we should/could cut back on some of the nuclear missile armament. I do disagree though, on the R & D. I like the idea of making better weapons that keep our service men and women out of harm's way.

I personally know a woman that flies an unmanned aircraft in Afghanistan while sitting at a desk in the US. That, I think is really cool. I like the idea that she is not in any danger.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:03 PM

Frank on a panel speaking about "government spending" versus "stimulus". His point is that the invasion of Iraq will cost $1 trillion but that "spending" is given a pass (and is not an effective economic stimulus, either).

YouTube - Barney Frank: Iraq was the biggest spending program ever.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I personally know a woman that flies an unmanned aircraft in Afghanistan while sitting at a desk in the US. That, I think is really cool. I like the idea that she is not in any danger.

With just her joystick controller, she can very quickly create an international incident that might require decades to overcome (Pakistan/Afghanistan/India/Iran/China) and could result in the cratering of a good part of the American economy. Her "safety" is an illusion.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
With just her joystick controller, she can very quickly create an international incident that might require decades to overcome (Pakistan/Afghanistan/India/Iran/China). Her "safety" is an illusion.
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies