Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If oil imports stopped, what should we do?
Convert to electric automobiles 11 22.45%
Convert to electric railroads 15 30.61%
Neither 23 46.94%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:05 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We drive over 40,000 miles each year.

Necessity if the mother of invention.
I look forward to a substantial tax increase for you and your family when fuel taxes go up. I'll not face much of one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 12:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I look forward to a substantial tax increase for you and your family when fuel taxes go up. I'll not face much of one.
If such taxes go up - so be it. I would certainly not "move closer" to a congested city. Personally, I like the absolute quiet of our location.

Then again, you don't "get out" much - into the great outdoors - no boating, fishing, skiing (water and/or snow), hunting, camping, etc.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:12 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,185 times
Quote:
I drive about 3000 miles in a year. Choices have consequences. Individuals make choices, they should accept the consequences.
But they shouldn't have to accept artificial consequences like increased gas taxes. That's pretty much BS.

Quote:
That's the sort of elitist 'to heck with you' to those who don't live in cities that I've come to expect from those who do.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If such taxes go up - so be it. I would certainly not "move closer" to a congested city. Personally, I like the absolute quiet of our location.

Then again, you don't "get out" much - into the great outdoors - no boating, fishing, skiing (water and/or snow), hunting, camping, etc.
Actually I boat a lot. It is just not necessary to use much fuel while boating. I'd guess my consumption is 20-30 gallons a season.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
But they shouldn't have to accept artificial consequences like increased gas taxes. That's pretty much BS.

That's the sort of elitist 'to heck with you' to those who don't live in cities that I've come to expect from those who do.
Choices have consequences. People in cities are the reason you have motor vehicles to begin with.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:51 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
You make a choice to live far from cities and accept the drawbacks that come from being far from cities. Just as I make the choice to live in the city and accept its benefits and drawbacks. And when gas spikes or gas taxes are hiked, it hurts you, not me, because of our respective choices.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:08 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
You make a choice to live far from cities and accept the drawbacks that come from being far from cities. Just as I make the choice to live in the city and accept its benefits and drawbacks. And when gas spikes or gas taxes are hiked, it hurts you, not me, because of our respective choices.
That''s true, and I agree with that. What I don't agree with is increased gas taxes to try and force people to move closer to cities. It won't work, and I expect it will make the furor against the gov even stronger than it is today.

Americans love their cars.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:28 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
That''s true, and I agree with that. What I don't agree with is increased gas taxes to try and force people to move closer to cities. It won't work, and I expect it will make the furor against the gov even stronger than it is today.

Americans love their cars.
You live in a rural area, I presume? Rural areas are actually not the problem, in the big picture. The big problem is the outer ring suburbs and exurbs. They are the layouts that devour land and necessitate large scale automobile use.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Actually I boat a lot. It is just not necessary to use much fuel while boating. I'd guess my consumption is 20-30 gallons a season.
We will use quite a bit of fuel - inasmuch as one of the lakes we frequent is some 90+ miles long - and we love to visit it all.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
You make a choice to live far from cities and accept the drawbacks that come from being far from cities.
Speaking merely for myself - we don't know of any "drawbacks" in living far from the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies