Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 01:48 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,283 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Barack Obama - Blithering Idiot - Bristol, VA 6/5/08

Old 03-08-2009, 01:49 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,214,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Most of our recent presidents do not write their own speeches. But they could at least take time to read them. There is a post above which suggested they have seen information that Obama actually does read his speeches and checks over them before he reads them. If this is in fact the case, then I have no problem with the prompt. It's the idea of blindly reading text that scares me.
No, I didn't say that I have "seen information" which says Obama actually does read his speeches and checks over them before he gives them.

I said, "I believe" and "IMO." My opinion is based upon years and years of careful observation of public speakers .......that is part of my work. Based upon that experience, IMO, Obama does read the speeches prior to giving them, and I "believe" that he is very hands-on and would make corrections and send them back for re-writes if there was an inconsistency in the speeches to his policies and his direction as President.

Just wanted to clear that up. I have no "links" to support my opinion and my belief........they are based on my many years of observation. Believe me, I have seen public speakers who are clueless and unprepared on the topic which they are speaking about.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:54 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Most of our recent presidents do not write their own speeches. But they could at least take time to read them. There is a post above which suggested they have seen information that Obama actually does read his speeches and checks over them before he reads them. If this is in fact the case, then I have no problem with the prompt. It's the idea of blindly reading text that scares me.
I think it is widely known that none of our presidents write their own speeches, especially longer ones and those of real importance. I think that our present President is honest enough to read them before he delivers them. However, I have been referring to his campaign speeches and the way you could always see his head going from the right one to the left one and back without ever going any further left or right or stopping in the middle. It just appeared that he wasn't seeing anybody but those in those two spots.

I have been referring to a link I put on some thread that I posted last night with a speech he gave during the campaign where he promised some things that he just can't deliver and I knew at the time they were nothing but campaign promises that are meant to win votes and nothing else. That video comes from his web site and would be a great one for them to get scrubbed as soon as possible. Here it is as an example of him using teleprompters too much and also making promises that he couldn't keep and knew he couldn't.

Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Ethics

Old 03-08-2009, 02:00 PM

I remember watching that speech on CNN. The man wasn't using teleprompters as he had his back to them when he was saying those things. I really wondered how many people who were seduced by his normal speaking style would wake up from that performance. It seems that not many did or they didn't ever see the performance.

As I said he works much better from teleprompter. Watch this video to see how smooth he goes with the prompters.

Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Ethics

Old 03-08-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
No, I didn't say that I have "seen information" which says Obama actually does read his speeches and checks over them before he gives them.

I said, "I believe" and "IMO." My opinion is based upon years and years of careful observation of public speakers .......that is part of my work. Based upon that experience, IMO, Obama does read the speeches prior to giving them, and I "believe" that he is very hands-on and would make corrections and send them back for re-writes if there was an inconsistency in the speeches to his policies and his direction as President.

Just wanted to clear that up. I have no "links" to support my opinion and my belief........they are based on my many years of observation. Believe me, I have seen public speakers who are clueless and unprepared on the topic which they are speaking about.
Get ready to get a blow from me. WE FINALLY AGREED ON ANOTHER THING ABOUT OBAMA. I am sure that he checks those things as President. However, I don't think he always had time as a candidate for the office and that he failed to do so then.

He isn't so bad that he doesn't do any of his job properly. He surely wouldn't deliver any kind of major speech as President. Nope, I don't think he would do that.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Does anybody here remember the movie about the fool newscaster from San Diego in the 70s. The title of the movie was "Anchorman" and the title character, Ron Burgundy, was an inveterate reader of idiot cards. Some women decided to prove that so they changed his last card for one newscast and instead of reading "Stay classy San Diego" he read their new card and said "G f**k yourself, San Diego". Of course, he found himself without a job and the woman who was his other half on the show got his job. It was a very funny movie and, I think, so true to form about how those things are done. Anyway, it was that movie that got me wound out on this subject.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:56 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post

Sorry about that. I was drawing off of memory and I knew that suggestion had been made. Wasn't really trying to put words in your mouth. You did however make the suggestion that he did so, and if that did turn out to be true I would feel much better.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:22 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Sorry about that. I was drawing off of memory and I knew that suggestion had been made. Wasn't really trying to put words in your mouth. You did however make the suggestion that he did so, and if that did turn out to be true I would feel much better.
And he does. Once again, the Internet provides answers to most questions:

Quote:
Obama takes an unusually hands-on approach to his speech writing, more so than most politicians. His best writing time comes late at night when he's all alone, scribbling on yellow legal pads. He then logs these thoughts into his laptop, editing as he goes along.
How Obama Writes His Speeches - TIME
You can start feeling much better....

Old 03-08-2009, 03:22 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times
I am one Illinoisan who met then-senator Obama, and I had the opportunity to see him speak as a candidate as well. Both times he had a few index cards, but he barely glanced at them. Speakers look to the left, right and center in order to be inclusive of the entire audience.
The first time I saw him I was able to ask him a question, which he answered promptly and thoroughly...he looked at me, not the index cards.
A friend took a picture of me obtaining his autograph; he remembered my question and referenced it in that autograph.
The teleprompter issue is another non-issue; this country will not rise or fall due to the speaking abilities of its president, or we would have fallen 8 years-ago. The thread exists to keep such trivial issues in the public forum. Surely there are more vital issues to be discussed than this
irrelevant topic.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I really do wonder if he did since we all know that he went to Harvard with some help from one of the wealthiest black men in New York at the request of some other influential people.
Different forum, same cr*p being thrown against the wall. How about some verifiable sources for your above allegations??

Last edited by ray1945; 03-08-2009 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies