Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:54 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times

Advertisements

Judge Judy says "Uh...." and "Um...." are not answers....

Old 03-06-2009, 04:01 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Yep I'm sure you will. I won't be holding my breath. Of course when your hero passes all his global warming taxes I may have to because after all we exhale co2. You have been duped like the rest of the ONE's minions.
If you haven't already realized,I speak my mind and am blatantly honest. If he does screw up I will not hesitate to say so.When I hear of billions of dollars being used it does scare me and rightfully so.It makes the US dollar's value less but we have to wait and see if the stimulus is successful.We went from a Clinton economy with a surplus to a GWB economy that took a complete nosedive and in 8 years he has destroyed the lives of many families but at least he has all his oil $$$.Give Obama a chance. I'm not telling you to go out and cheer for the guy but we have to see if the stimulus does work. I hope for the best and if it works,great. I'm sure that not all the programs will be perfect but how many ex-presidents can say all their decisions were? All I know is that we all need to wait and see over the next couple of months and we'll take it from there.By the way...It's Lance T.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 03-08-2009 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-06-2009, 05:16 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Again I will ask why such a gifted orator who was educated at Harvard has to drag his telepromter around everywhere he goes?? Nobody has answered. I wonder if they set it up in the can when he does poopoo in case he has to call Michelle for some TP?? Probably.

Ya got an answer but I guess you can't read without a teleprompter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
The thread is nonsensical; the majority of public speakers use teleprompters.
Happily there are many posters from Illinois on this forum, and no doubt there are some who had the opportunity to see President Obama speak during his
years in the Illinois State Senate and the U.S. Senate. Perhaps they would
testify that he speaks beautifully when he speaks extemporaneously, and that
his scope is incredibly broad. Teleprompters must be a new thing to republicans, since Bush couldn't read quickly enough to use one efficiently...he just fumbled on and on, and his party now believes that such pitiful performances are the norm. There are several books that consist only of
examples of his humiliating mangling of the English language. Surely the country deserves serious discussions about issues that actually impact America; there is no time to waste on such irrelevant topics as this one.
It's so funny that the poor repubs just can't remember how bushy couldn't speak OR read....

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 03-08-2009 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-06-2009, 05:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Obama's proven himself capable of thinking and speaking off the cuff many times.

Note cards, teleprompters...tomaaatoes, tomahtoes...

Old 03-06-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If the teleprompter is Obamas safety net, then GWB's would be the earpiece and he still couldn't pronounce most words even when just repeating what he heard!
Oh yeah! I forgot about the big square "wrinkle" in Bush's back during a debate.

Cheater, cheater pumpkin eater.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
I've been present for at least 6 Obama talks/speeches with and without teleprompters, I preferred those over the teleprompter speeches. His ad-libs were great and his style more congenial.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 03-08-2009 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: just helping

Old 03-06-2009, 05:28 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I'd rather listen to Obama with his teleprompter than listen to Obama without one..."...uh, uh, uh, uh..."
I agree. I can understand using a teleprompter, but being dependent on it is not a good thing. As I mentioned, the dialog between him and Gordon Brown was horrible.. Very unprofessional, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I honestly can't of a single politician from either party which doesn't use a teleprompter for big speeches. Bush, Reagan, & all certainly did and you didn't hear these whiners then but suddenly it is a Democrat instead of a Republican and they're trying to make hay of this non-issue?
If Bush used a teleprompter, he must have hidden that fact well! It seemed to me like the made everything up as he went along.. Bush was not a great public speaker, but at least when he had his meetings with world leaders he spoke without using "uh" and "um" excessively.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:32 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Bush was not a great public speaker, but at least when he had his meetings with world leaders he spoke without using "uh" and "um" excessively.
No, he did not. He was Mr. "uh" and "um".

Old 03-06-2009, 05:36 PM

Well, the "uh"s and "um"s is what happens when some smart people are processing concepts to decide the best to say. It can certainly be annoying, but I'll take that as a cost to offset the benefit of a thoughtful president.

There's a big difference between looking for a word to say and looking for an idea to express.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:20 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, the "uh"s and "um"s is what happens when some smart people are processing concepts to decide the best to say. It can certainly be annoying, but I'll take that as a cost to offset the benefit of a thoughtful president.

There's a big difference between looking for a word to say and looking for an idea to express.
Bush had neither!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies