Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 03:45 AM

239 posts, read 351,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Anyone who NEEDS a drug so badly that they are willing to break the law, thus gambling their entire future, has something wrong with them - yes.

I maintain that it causes long-term brain damage. I have worked with psychiatrists and seen the brain scans.

However, I reduced my argument to the lung issue in order to seek common ground with my detractors at the lowest common denominator before working our way back to the most polarizing issues. Because I care more about communication than about being right. You could take a lesson, child.

I have never tried marijuana or even cigarettes, let alone anything worse. I do drink - usually beer, or wine with dinner. If it became illegal tomorrow, I wouldn't. Sure there are studies on the "benefits" of alcohol, too - polyphenols in red wine for the heart, minerals in beer for the bones - but I'm not going to pretend it would justify becoming an alcoholic. The risks still outweigh the benefits. So why do I drink? Because I'm weak, and I like it. Just admit you smoke for the same reason, and we'll all be happy.

Also, I never said that legal meds were any healthier. But if used properly and with a prescription, at least they've gone through the FDA and don't contain any unknown toxins.

Lots of legal meds can affect people other than the person taking them - just as sudden withdrawal from those meds (or illegal drugs) can cause behavioral problems and potentially violence against others.

It is always preferable to solve your problems with hard work than a substance. Want Spirituality? Meditation, not LSD. Want ideas? Do something creative, not marijuana. Want stress relief? Exercise, not alcohol. Want to forget? Confront, THEN move on - not blackouts. Substances are temporary; every ounce hard work is a step toward permanence.
1. It does not and you have not.
2. There you go with resorting to petty insults due to you having no ability to argue/debate nor any facts/citations/sources to back up all this information you claim to have.
3. Spare us the morality/superiority lecture. We are adults and what we do and do not do with our bodies are our own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
And you haven't found any conclusive studies citing the opposite. It seems we're at an impasse, Mr. Bond

Seriously though, I'll look around - I would need access to something like PubMed though, which I haven't had in awhile. And frankly, I don't feel like driving the 45 minutes to NIH for the sake of an internet argument * shrug *

Not conflicted, exactly - but knowing how difficult it already is to go to public places without having to deal with smoke, I dread the doubling of such pollution if marijuana were legalized. Plus hippies just freaking annoy me

IF given the choice between Pot and Cigarettes, however, I would rather cigarettes be illegal.

Also assuming the smoking bans in existence would apply. Though they don't cover everything - sitting outside a cafe on a nice day? Driving with the windows open? Walking my dog? Dang smokers are EVERYWHERE. And they don't care if you breathe it in. And they assume they are above litter laws.
1. Actually no, you made the claim that the study exists, therefore the burden of proof is on you, not anyone else. Basic debating isn't your forte is it?

Old 03-12-2009, 03:49 AM

Surely you just didn't use another post by an anon user as yet another one of your "sources" did you?

Old 03-12-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Grow up and debate with the big boys. I'm done with you, but feel free to spectate my conversations with "Logic" and "that1guy" - at least they can be reasoned with.
Don't get mad because I call you on your BS and expect some kind of source or document to back up all the things that you claim to "know". Kinda like how I posted studies from respected well known organizations on the topic as opposed to your links to forum posts, a quack doc, and a study which itself stated it may not be accurate.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:53 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,473,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fungame View Post
1. It does not and you have not.
Now you have the gall to tell me what I have or have not seen? What I have or have not done with my LIFE? Now you are acting simply insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungame View Post
1. Talking out your rear again? They don't exist, sorry.
A statement does not a fact make.

Have you participated in a single, civil discussion where you didn't insult, dismiss, selectively listen or condescend to, roll your eyes or yawn at, or attack another person? Appears you haven't.

This is my last direct response to you until you can communicate like someone who is older than 13.

A little free advice: You'll have a much better time of life if you don't go around assuming everyone is lying to you, and everyone is out to get you. (Hmm, aren't those side effects of pot?)

Last edited by Mearth; 03-12-2009 at 04:44 AM..

Old 03-12-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
A statement does not a fact make.

Have you participated in a single, civil discussion where you didn't insult, dismiss, selectively listen or condescend to, roll your eyes or yawn at, or attack another person? Appears you haven't.

This is my last direct response to you until you can communicate like someone who is older than 13.

A little free advice: You'll have a much better time of life if you don't go around assuming everyone is lying to you, and everyone is out to get you.
Sweetie, need I go back and quote some of the things you've said to other posters in this thread? I really don't think there is a need to make you appear anymore foolish than you already do. It is hard to have a debate with someone who only means of validation to back up their "arguments" is to say they know of MANY studies that backs up what they say...yet they can't name them, can't cite them, have zero links to ANYTHING. Learn to debate and I will show you more respect, I am asking nothing more of you than EVERYONE else in this thread is, guess what that is? YOU NEED PROOF TO BACK UP YOUR STATEMENTS. This is a "debate", in debates your opponents dont just take you at your word, especially when you make outlandish claims and are insulting to all your opponents. As for the "out to get me comment"..once again stop talking out your rear, half the time your posts make no sense whatsoever, the other half of the time they're down right comical.

Btw just for fun here is another source that refutes your unsubstantiated claims;

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/n...t-damage-brain

Last edited by fungame; 03-12-2009 at 04:44 AM..

Old 03-12-2009, 05:21 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,499,893 times
ROFLMAO... if this woman wants to believe in that Reefer Madness bull let her. 30 doctors could come on here right now that have researched marijuana through out their careers and tell her the truth she still will not believe it.

The question is... do you think drugs should be legalized?

Yes. Anybody who doesn't should foot the bill.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
ROFLMAO... if this woman wants to believe in that Reefer Madness bull let her. 30 doctors could come on here right now that have researched marijuana through out their careers and tell her the truth she still will not believe it.

The question is... do you think drugs should be legalized?

Yes. Anybody who doesn't should foot the bill.
Lol, exactly.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,023,359 times
Quote:
I have never tried marijuana or even cigarettes, let alone anything worse. I do drink - usually beer, or wine with dinner.
The irony is telling. You have no idea how much worse alcohol is than marijuana, do you?

Old 03-12-2009, 11:21 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,499,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
The irony is telling. You have no idea how much worse alcohol is than marijuana, do you?
but it's legal so it has to be better for you

/sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies