Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 05:13 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Here is some more genius foreign policy at work

Taleban tax: allied supply convoys pay their enemies for safe passage

Taleban tax: allied supply convoys pay their enemies for safe passage - Times Online

I can't believe you Kootr, you want to give our sworn enemies our hard earned tax dollars! Shame on you man.
Our country has always used money, along with the blood of our countrymen, to help people throughout the world and to protect others from evil doers regardless whether the people we help are friends or foes. Like it or not! That's up to you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 05:31 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Our country has always used money, along with the blood of our countrymen, to help people throughout the world and to protect others from evil doers regardless whether the people we help are friends or foes. Like it or not! That's up to you...
Just who are we helping? So you do support giving our sworn enemies US tax payer dollars then? Why are you not upset at Bush for wanting to talk with the Taliban?

Sounds nice, right out of a comic book, the good guys ride in to town wearing white hats on white horses with chromed six shooters to do battle with evil which wears black hats and ride black horses and are just, well evil doers...

Let me ask you, just how much money, just how many men would you be willing to sacrifice in Afghanistan? What is our goal in Afghanistan? What is to be gained and how will we continue to fund this endeavor, because in case you haven't noticed there is that small matter of an economic melt down taking place.

Why are you not signing up to fight the evil doers if you so so so strongly believe in it?

Again, since you haven't answered me the several previous times I have asked, why are you not upset that Bush wanted to do the same thing? Is it just because Obama is black or maybe from a different party?

Old 03-07-2009, 05:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
What kind of "deal" would you suggest we cut?
How about the same one "cut" with the Taliban previously or the deal "cut" with the Sunni insurgents?

Taliban Pledge to Rid Afghan Province of Opium Poppies - The New York Times

as a result the Taliban was given $43 million in humanitarian aid.

Taliban's Ban On Poppy A Success, U.S. Aides Say - The New York Times

As for the Sunnis;

"Money will be another key factor to any successful strategy. Currently, most payments to Sunni groups come from the U.S. military. That’s a mistake. Arrangements to pay Sunnis through Iraq’s central government are a vital next step to assuaging Shiite fears and deterring Sunni troublemaking."

Foreign Policy: The Sorcerer’s Apprentice

Decreased Violence in Iraq - More to do with Money than the Surge « Political Mpressions

Old 03-07-2009, 05:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
This is exactly how General Petraeus managed to turn the tide in Iraq--buying off enough of our enemies to isolate the remainder. So isn't it Bush all over again?
The taiban are like a bunch of brown shirts in Germany before WWII. Would you had FDR negotiating with Hitler?Maybe give him Poland etc. IMO its not possible to negotiate with some people that are totally enslavers;bet women wouldn't like this since its say women slaves is OK.Either you are for or agianst huyman rights;plai and simple.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The taiban are like a bunch of brown shirts in Germany before WWII. Would you had FDR negotiating with Hitler?Maybe give him Poland etc. IMO its not possible to negotiate with some people that are totally enslavers;bet women wouldn't like this since its say women slaves is OK.
I do believe that this was the same argument made about those Sunni deadenders who now comprise the Sunni Awakening Council.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:09 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,490 times
Quote:
The taiban are like a bunch of brown shirts in Germany before WWII. Would you had FDR negotiating with Hitler?Maybe give him Poland etc. IMO its not possible to negotiate with some people that are totally enslavers;bet women wouldn't like this since its say women slaves is OK.

Quote:
Either you are for or agianst huyman rights;plai and simple.
we buy oil from saudis, and weeeee juuuuust looooooooove them.
maybe someday, we can spread our flawed democracy like we tried to do in iraq? I have a great idea, we'll just throw american $$$$$$$$$ at them, and ask them to stop whipping women.
when someone is trying to kill you, wouldn't you want to know the reason why? that's not negotiating, that's talking to your enemy to find out where they're coming from. so, maybe in the future you'll be able to negotiate with them. instead of just dropping bombs on countires who did nothing to us. what's wrong with negotiating peace?

Old 03-07-2009, 07:06 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Reagan called the Soviet Union "The Evil Empire"
Reagan also talked to Gorbachev, a "moderate" communist,
There is no longer a Soviet Union.

Now, not all of that was Reagan's doing. The USSR had it's own problems, but signing the INFtreaty, and negotiating with the "focus of evil in the modern world" (another Reagan quote) showed that even Mr. Conservative wasn't above talking to moderate enemies when necessary. Perhaps we should take a cue from him.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Just who are we helping? So you do support giving our sworn enemies US tax payer dollars then? Why are you not upset at Bush for wanting to talk with the Taliban?

Sounds nice, right out of a comic book, the good guys ride in to town wearing white hats on white horses with chromed six shooters to do battle with evil which wears black hats and ride black horses and are just, well evil doers...

Let me ask you, just how much money, just how many men would you be willing to sacrifice in Afghanistan? What is our goal in Afghanistan? What is to be gained and how will we continue to fund this endeavor, because in case you haven't noticed there is that small matter of an economic melt down taking place.

Why are you not signing up to fight the evil doers if you so so so strongly believe in it?

Again, since you haven't answered me the several previous times I have asked, why are you not upset that Bush wanted to do the same thing? Is it just because Obama is black or maybe from a different party?
It was you that failed to answer my questions. But I'll still answer your questions.

If protecting America from terrorists wanting to kill our people means sending our [volunteer] military into harms way, then that is exactly what our President and Congress should do...and did do.

I take it from what you have said that you are against what our military is doing. You should be shaking their hands for making you safe, not spitting in the faces!

Since you have forgotten, Afghanistan is a host for terrorists who murdered 3,000 American citizens on American soil and caused billions of dollars in damage. In case you haven't heard we are there to destroy (KILL) the people that want to kill us!

Our economic condition back home should not even be a passing thought when it comes to protecting our country. One nuclear bomb set off by terrorists could kill millions of our people and easily cause a trillion dollars of damage, not to mention the destruction of our nation's psyche and would significantly change all our lives for the worse.

I hope you appreciate the freedom you have in America and are thankful to [all] the Presidents and the members of Congress for requesting that our country's military has made you and your family safe. I know I do!

For your information - I do not have any problem with Obama sending more troops to Afghanistan to kill terrorists before they are able to kill us.

You are full of questions, but have no answers! I'll ask you once again - what would you bring to the table in your talks with the Taliban (knowing full-well they are radicals who want to kill us because we do not live by their radical Islam religion)?

PS - For your information I could give a **** whether Obama is black, white, yellow, red or a mix of every color of a rainbow. The skin of his color doesn't hide the man's soul!

Last edited by Kootr; 03-07-2009 at 07:32 PM..

Old 03-07-2009, 07:55 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
It was you that failed to answer my questions. But I'll still answer your questions.

If protecting America from terrorists wanting to kill our people means sending our [volunteer] military into harms way, then that is exactly what our President and Congress should do...and did do.

Since you have forgotten, Afghanistan is a host for terrorists who murdered 3,000 American citizens on American soil and caused billions of dollars in damage. In case you haven't heard we are there to destroy (KILL) the people that want to kill us!

Our economic condition back home should not even be a passing thought when it comes to protecting our country. One nuclear bomb set off by terrorists could kill millions of our people and easily cause a trillion dollars of damage, not to mention the destruction of our nation's psyche and would significantly change all our lives for the worse.

I hope you appreciate the freedom you have in America and are thankful to [all] the Presidents and the members of Congress for requesting that our country's military has made you and your family safe. I know I do!

For your information - I do not have any problem with Obama sending more troops to Afghanistan to kill terrorists before they are able to kill us.

You are full of questions, but have no answers! I'll ask you once again - what would you bring to the table in your talks with the Taliban (knowing full-well they are radicals who want to kill us because we do not live by their radical Islam religion)?

PS - For your information I could give a **** whether Obama is black, white, yellow, red or a mix of every color of a rainbow. The skin of his color doesn't hide the man's soul!

Lets review and recap post #28 in an even more simple manner so there is no mistake, I said I would leave, as in pull out, as in mission accomplished, as in come home. I do not agree with Obama's plan to continue to escalate conflict in this region. Unlike you, I could care less what party does this or who's party said what, its not about identity politics and partisanship, it is about common sense and reasoned analysis.

I do have a lot of questions and I have my doubts as to the wisdom of continuing this endeavor for several reasons.

To begin with the United States entered into conflict with Afghanistan primarily to capture or kill Osama Bin Laden, Al-Queada and its support network. ie: those aiding the people who planned the attack on 9-11. You see the people who did actually attack us on 9-11, well there all dead, I watched the plane burst into flames the buildings come down, so unless they were wearing a suit made of passports which are apparently impervious to such disasters, then they are all toast.

By the way, where is Bin Laden anyway? Didn't another President promise to get this guy dead or alive? Didn't they offer something like 50 million dollars for information that leads to the capture and conviction of this guy? What does it say about the will of a people who live in caves who aren't willing to rat out their boss for 50 million dollars?

So Kootr, tell me, how do you distinguish between a Taliban member and the average Afghan farmer? Do that have tattoos or little glow in the dark hats, or maybe they march singing death to America while carrying the Taliban flag through Kabul?

If our mission was to capture or kill Bin Laden and those that supported him, then what happens when several million radical and non radical Muslims from Afghanistan, Pakistan, the tribal regions, Tajikistan all offer some aid or comfort to any given member of the Taliban, are they too to be entered into war with?

All this hyper patriotic jingoistic nonsense is the talk that got the people of Germany to do the most idiotic self destructive crap in the name of the father land.

So since you have not and refuse to answer my question even though I have answered your not once but twice, I will ask just one more time....

All that you posted, all this for love of country, all for the good of the people, all for the sake of freedom and goodness and light, and purity.... Why are you not upset that George Bush wanted to do the exact same thing?

Since I know you read the question by your response in the final line, the only conclusion I can come to is that it is political party worship. Since you agree with Bush and Obama on warring with Afghanistan but its ok for Bush to try and talk to the Taliban but not for Obama to talk to the Taliban, and you claim you think black folks are groovy, then I guess it is just Democrats that you despise. That my man is obedience at its finest. Can I pull the sting on your back?

Old 03-07-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Lets review and recap post #28 in an even more simple manner so there is no mistake, I said I would leave, as in pull out, as in mission accomplished, as in come home. I do not agree with Obama's plan to continue to escalate conflict in this region. Unlike you, I could care less what party does this or who's party said what, its not about identity politics and partisanship, it is about common sense and reasoned analysis.

I do have a lot of questions and I have my doubts as to the wisdom of continuing this endeavor for several reasons.

To begin with the United States entered into conflict with Afghanistan primarily to capture or kill Osama Bin Laden, Al-Queada and its support network. ie: those aiding the people who planned the attack on 9-11. You see the people who did actually attack us on 9-11, well there all dead, I watched the plane burst into flames the buildings come down, so unless they were wearing a suit made of passports which are apparently impervious to such disasters, then they are all toast.

By the way, where is Bin Laden anyway? Didn't another President promise to get this guy dead or alive? Didn't they offer something like 50 million dollars for information that leads to the capture and conviction of this guy? What does it say about the will of a people who live in caves who aren't willing to rat out their boss for 50 million dollars?

So Kootr, tell me, how do you distinguish between a Taliban member and the average Afghan farmer? Do that have tattoos or little glow in the dark hats, or maybe they march singing death to America while carrying the Taliban flag through Kabul?

If our mission was to capture or kill Bin Laden and those that supported him, then what happens when several million radical and non radical Muslims from Afghanistan, Pakistan, the tribal regions, Tajikistan all offer some aid or comfort to any given member of the Taliban, are they too to be entered into war with?

All this hyper patriotic jingoistic nonsense is the talk that got the people of Germany to do the most idiotic self destructive crap in the name of the father land.

So since you have not and refuse to answer my question even though I have answered your not once but twice, I will ask just one more time....

All that you posted, all this for love of country, all for the good of the people, all for the sake of freedom and goodness and light, and purity.... Why are you not upset that George Bush wanted to do the exact same thing?

Since I know you read the question by your response in the final line, the only conclusion I can come to is that it is political party worship. Since you agree with Bush and Obama on warring with Afghanistan but its ok for Bush to try and talk to the Taliban but not for Obama to talk to the Taliban, and you claim you think black folks are groovy, then I guess it is just Democrats that you despise. That my man is obedience at its finest. Can I pull the sting on your back?
You only think that I'm upset that Obama is "reaching out to the moderate Taliban". Have you seen anything from me saying this? Nope - you have not! Further, I am not upset that Bush tried to reach out to the moderate Taliban because it was a first effort, but it failed to accomplish anything. That said, I am asking YOU what Obama can do differently [than Bush] to reach out that would prove beneficial. You have still not answered this question!!! What's your answer for me?????????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies