Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,387 times

Advertisements

What would happen to you if you woke up with stomach cancer here?

You would be treated and your survival rate
would be double that of Canada, England etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Unfortunately some hard headed people on this board will dismiss this as "they just don't want insurance" because "they feel it's a wasted"..etc etc etc.

But notice that the largest percentage is 30 - 35.. at 23% . Definately NOT the invincible feeling age (I fall into that age group of uninsured). NOt having insurance is NOT something I could do but chose not to.. I just can't afford to!!

They also go along with the statistics on income/etc. Basically a younger person is newer to the job and making far less than their older counterparts and thereby can't afford insurance. AND even if it is provided by their employer and money is removed from their check , they can not afford to have that money taken out of their check..otherwise they wont' be able to pay their bills. I remember my 20's well.. VERY difficult to make ends meet then (nad yes, now too).
I remember my 20s, too. I had insurance. I had insurance when I was 18, too. I did without other things so I could have insurance. In my 20s when I was working my way through college (work full-time, college part-time), I had insurance. When I was in my 30s, I had a job where I made less than I could have made but I took it because it offered insurance and other benefits.

People make choices throughout their lives, starting in school. Maybe some people made crappy choices starting in high school. Maybe they decided to have unprotected sex and had a baby and college/technical school is out the window so they have a low paying job or no job. Maybe they quit school before they graduated and now they go from one menial job to another. Maybe they did drugs or hung out with losers and wasted a few years in prison, on the streets bumming change or in their mommy's basement. Maybe when they became adults, they wanted a house right away instead of renting or having roommates and decided to do without insurance. Maybe they wanted other expensive toys/clothes rather than insurance. Maybe they decided to major in something like gender studies in college and now find they can't get a decent job even though they have a college education. Maybe, they thought they were too good for the state college and now all of their money goes to paying back student loans. Maybe they should stop vacationing on Spring Break, and use the money for insurance or to pay back those student loans. Now throw in all of them that also ran up credit card debt.

When you can subtract these people who have made poor life choices from the uninsured (as well as the illegal aliens from the 45 million uninsured number that's always bandied around), then show me the numbers of the remaining uninsured and I'll be right there with you wanting to give the remaining folks some kind of health insurance.

But to throw all of us into some kind of **** poor watered down nationalized healthcare system, that we have to pay for, is ridiculous.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
By LAW, if the Federal Government were to eliminate insurance companies as they NOW exist, the Federal Government will be legally OBLIGATED to purchase, at Fair Market Value, those companies, and all of their Assets. The Government would have to compensate the owners of these companies (Stockholders - many with retirement funds are stockholders in these companies) for the value of their stock. The Government would also have to compensate them for lost revenue into the future.

The cost would be multiple Trillions of dollars. And this is before anyone would receive medical insurance.

The plan that is most often talked about by the President, is to allow Americans to have the OPTION of buying into the same plan as MOC have. Or they can stay with what they have. OPTIONS.

Nor, is he talking about MANDATING insurance - which frankly would be an impossible task to accomplish.

BTW: Those here in the United States illegally should be denied medical care.
First off.. I never said Obama was talking about MANDATING. My initial support on the Democrat ticket was Hillary Clinton, who was for mandating.

While my first sentence says that insurance companies shouldn't exist.. go on and read the rest. I'm not talking about eliminating them completely. Changing their sructure or business model wouldn't be such a bad thing. There will be new opportunities for them in a system where they can co exist with a national system. No need to "buy them out". Those that will c hange with the changing times and the new system will be quite successfull. They've managed to find ways to make a buck with the medicare system and going hand in hand with that.

As a matter of fact, they may actually be MORE PROFITABLE if they are selling a "supplemental" type plan. Why? Well. .given the fear of those like yourself against a natinoalized plan, insurance companies could be well poised to sell several type of insurance packages that supplement that of a national plan. However, WITH a national plan, it is quite possible that those plans, while being paid for, will be used far less.. as a MAJORITY of medical costs will already be covered by the national plan

As for not giving any type of healthcare to someone because they are illegal GD.. it's important to remember that before anyone is a citizen of a country they are a human being first. If someone walks into an ER with any type of ailment that is potentially life threatening, it is the humane thing to treat that person so that they don't die like an animal on the floor.

The right thing to do in this nation is to fix the illegal immigration problem by tightening all our systems in this country, tighten the borders and perhaps making those here illegal , legal.

It's time to stop holding on to 20th century ways and solutions to a 21st century problem. If you don't change with the times, you'll be severely left behind. US is lagging in several things because we aer not changing and adapting to the modern world as well we could be. However, this past election had changed the way the tide is flowing and I believe we will finally bring ourselves into the new modern age and emerge much stronger in all areas INCLUDING healthcare.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I remember my 20s, too. I had insurance. I had insurance when I was 18, too. I did without other things so I could have insurance. In my 20s when I was working my way through college (work full-time, college part-time), I had insurance. When I was in my 30s, I had a job where I made less than I could have made but I took it because it offered insurance and other benefits.

People make choices throughout their lives, starting in school. Maybe some people made crappy choices starting in high school. Maybe they decided to have unprotected sex and had a baby and college/technical school is out the window so they have a low paying job or no job. Maybe they quit school before they graduated and now they go from one menial job to another. Maybe they did drugs or hung out with losers and wasted a few years in prison, on the streets bumming change or in their mommy's basement. Maybe when they became adults, they wanted a house right away instead of renting or having roommates and decided to do without insurance. Maybe they wanted other expensive toys/clothes rather than insurance. Maybe they decided to major in something like gender studies in college and now find they can't get a decent job even though they have a college education. Maybe, they thought they were too good for the state college and now all of their money goes to paying back student loans. Maybe they should stop vacationing on Spring Break, and use the money for insurance or to pay back those student loans. Now throw in all of them that also ran up credit card debt.

When you can subtract these people who have made poor life choices from the uninsured (as well as the illegal aliens from the 45 million uninsured number that's always bandied around), then show me the numbers of the remaining uninsured and I'll be right there with you wanting to give the remaining folks some kind of health insurance.

But to throw all of us into some kind of **** poor watered down nationalized healthcare system, that we have to pay for, is ridiculous.
that's it.. dismiss 47 million people by saying they made poor choices Okay.. whatever..LOL

You obviously do not have a clue.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:15 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
First off.. I never said Obama was talking about MANDATING. My initial support on the Democrat ticket was Hillary Clinton, who was for mandating.

While my first sentence says that insurance companies shouldn't exist.. go on and read the rest. I'm not talking about eliminating them completely. .

Doesn't matter TM.. The FACT is, you want to eliminate their PRIMARY business as it now exists. That is, by law, a TAKING - and the Federal Government would need to compensate them as I described.

And TM: your posts often have conflictions within them. You say one thing -- then another and then something else again.

It is very difficult to try to follow what point you are trying to make - very confusing

Old 03-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
As for not giving any type of healthcare to someone because they are illegal GD.. it's important to remember that before anyone is a citizen of a country they are a human being first. If someone walks into an ER with any type of ailment that is potentially life threatening, it is the humane thing to treat that person so that they don't die like an animal on the floor.
Nope - no healthcare for those here illegally. Period.

This will go a long way towards "correcting" the illegal immigrant problem.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
that's it.. dismiss 47 million people by saying they made poor choices Okay.. whatever..LOL

Your attack on this other poster merely because they have a different opinion than you was TOTALLY unwarranted and uncalled for.

Although - it is your MO to do so.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:

AND, how many of that 47 million are ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS TM????

HOW MANY?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Doesn't matter TM.. The FACT is, you want to eliminate their PRIMARY business as it now exists. That is, by law, a TAKING - and the Federal Government would need to compensate them as I described.

And TM: your posts often have conflictions within them. You say one thing -- then another and then something else again.

It is very difficult to try to follow what point you are trying to make - very confusing

the first.. eliminate is my personal feeling..

But the rest is quite clear , concise and well thought out. You can not follow it.. that is your problem and your short coming.

As for changing the way they do business, GD.. business evolve , adapt and change with the times constantly. Some businesses dissappear all together as times change and policies change.

They don't have to go out of business.. they just have to come up with different products to sell to remain profitable with changing times.

The government created the problem under Nixon when they started the entire HMO thing.. now the government can certainly make changes and they can adapt to them, remain in business, and remain profitable.. opportunity always exists and will exist under that system.. it's just different.

Some people aren't so good with change. Apparently you are one of them. That's okay.. you fear change.. but it doesnt' mean it's not going to happen.

BTW. even the insurance industry is acknowledging that change is coming adn is quickly trying to find ways to work in conjunction with government so that it can remain in business, profitable yet provide more access and healthcare for all. That is atleast promising. Good thing for the rest of the nation tht you are NOT one that is in one of those companies..

The shift won't happen overnight.. like POOF one day their entire model will dissappear.. but I do believe that it will meld into the type of system that I had suggested over a period of time. This would make the adjustment for all , including the insurance companies, smooth and doable for all.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Nope - no healthcare for those here illegally. Period.

This will go a long way towards "correcting" the illegal immigrant problem.

Nice GD.. so Iguess you ignored the whole part where i say that before we are citizens of any nation we are first HUMAN BEINGS and one of GOD'S Creatures..

Nice, coming from someone who is supposed to be a minister Wow.. that's all I have to say. Thanks for showing your true colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies