Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will go Blue first?
NC 41 33.61%
VA 66 54.10%
TN 5 4.10%
GA 10 8.20%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:19 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,250,569 times

Advertisements

Louisiana has never really been a "blue" state. Don't forget Louisiana was the state where David Duke ran for governor and got 38% of the vote (55% of the white vote in LA according to exit polls)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 08:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I beg to differ, at least for the state that I live in. Most of NY and NJ transplants are doing all they can to replicate their state here, which isn't really a paradise to begin with.

why couldn't my state have Californian transplants instead?
Probably for many of the same reasons that this particular Wash DC native left there in 1978 for Calif then Az

And; I tend to be Purple in my political leanings

Old School Liberal/Libertarian

Old 10-24-2007, 11:31 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Louisiana has never really been a "blue" state. Don't forget Louisiana was the state where David Duke ran for governor and got 38% of the vote (55% of the white vote in LA according to exit polls)
It really isn't a red state, either. They pick and choose so many different candidates from different parties, and the democrats down there are so old-school that you can't tell anything. The only state that can elect a white woman from an old political family, before an Indian republican, after Edwards....ahhh Edwards. I even have fun wathcing it from the other side of the Mississippi. The biggest factor is the difference between south and north in Louisiana. Shreveport is in a different country from New Orleans. I think they should have a special political color for Louisiana -- Gold.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:38 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
How funny (and sad) that TN has had only 2 votes. But I agree, it'll be Virginia first, then North Carolina.
I'll make you a deal. When I'm ready to exit NJ for TN, I'll sell you my home. This state is a Blue's Nirvana.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:56 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,250,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
It really isn't a red state, either. They pick and choose so many different candidates from different parties, and the democrats down there are so old-school that you can't tell anything. The only state that can elect a white woman from an old political family, before an Indian republican, after Edwards....ahhh Edwards. I even have fun wathcing it from the other side of the Mississippi. The biggest factor is the difference between south and north in Louisiana. Shreveport is in a different country from New Orleans. I think they should have a special political color for Louisiana -- Gold.

That is true, New Orleans is a Catholic, ethnic city, which is an anomoly for a Southern city, and South Louisiana has its roots in French and Spanish colonization vs. the Protestant/Anglo Saxon traditions of the North end of the state.. North Louisiana might as well be East Texas/West Mississippi because it is SO different from South Louisiana.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:05 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
blue = democrat/ more liberal
red = republican/ more conservative.
You get 'em reversed.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:13 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
You get 'em reversed.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:24 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecoldharbours View Post
Atlanta is very very liberal and it is the capital of GA, and there are not too many other large cities in the state, and its growing, so rapidly that they can't seem to keep up with the demand for housing and etc. I think that this state, in my humble opinion, will be blue, but then afterwhile, people will then turn against liberalism and become liberterians, one can always hope!
Yeah but Atlanta is only 775K people, the other 2.2 million live outside, mainly metro Atlanta, and are all Conservative.

Only liberal areas: Fulton County(Atlanta), Dekalb County

Old 10-25-2007, 09:26 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
LOL! Glad you could appreciate my analysis.

Anyway, this thread has been going quite awhile! In that time though, my assessment really hasn't changed: Virginia will be the first to turn blue, due to the spillover influence of Washington D.C.

And supposedly, the Virginia 'burbs are even the more conservative part of the D.C. metro area, as opposed to Maryland!

But what you've got beyond "red" and "blue" is a clash of cultures: urban, uptight, East Coast vs. rural, laid-back Old South. At one time, even Maryland was mostly part of the latter.

Highly doubtful any of the other Southern states will switch soon; least of all Tennessee. The state in which Al Gore (barely) lived is now better known as the home of Fred Dalton Thompson.

Florida, of course, is a wild card. But IMO it's really not even "Southern" and hasn't been for the last 40 years.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:29 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
Thye are all going to become (and already are becoming) more urbanized and less "Southern". Over time this will generally lead to a far less homogenous polity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies