Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

As a case in point, I think that even the most casual observer here on CD could point to thinly veiled racially motivated attacks against African Americans and African American organizations, but I have never detected a single voice of conservative rebuke towards those who make such attacks.

Now, personally I could care less, since most African Americans, myself included, have no expectation that such rebukes will be forthcoming from conservative Republicans, especially ones on this board. But I would think that if Republicans, or conservatives in general, were really interested in broadening their appeal to African Americans or other minorities, one would expect someone, anyone, representing the Republican Party or conservatives to step forward and make their objections to such attacks known, or at at the very least demonstrate some sensitivity regarding such comments.

Your thoughts.

Last edited by ovcatto; 03-09-2009 at 01:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
You mean Michael Steele?

I actually like what attracted him to the Republican Party - the sense that he was treated like an individual and his hope of engaging inner cities in small business incubation.

I could get behind that Republicanism. As it is, I don't think he will last long in that party. It has gone down a dark path.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:42 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As a case in point, I think that even the most casual observer here on CD could point to thinly veiled racially motivated attacks against African Americans and African American organizations, but I have never detected a single voice of conservative rebuke towards those who make such attacks.

Now, personally I could care less, since most African Americans, myself included, have no expectation that such rebukes will be forthcoming from conservative Republicans, especially ones on this board. But I would think that if Republicans, or conservatives in general, were really interested in broadening their appeal to African Americans or other minorities, one would expect someone, anyone, representing the Republican Party or conservatives to step forward and make their objections to such attacks known, or at at the very least demonstrate some sensitivity regarding such comments.

Your thoughts.
I completely agree. In my opinion, Steele doesn't stand behind his convictions. I think the Limbaugh episode taught us that.

I, too, have noticed that not one Republican on this board has EVER issued a rebuke to racist comments about Obama or other African Americans. I think that's quite telling about the composition of their party today. Personally, I think the Republican party is down for the count.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:43 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:

Your thoughts.
The first step IMO is realizing that minorities have issues that are unique to them, especially in the inner city. They need to realize that we don't vote race we vote issues and until they recognize our issues they won't be getting my vote. While they are talking about tax-cuts our inner city schools have half the resources that their suburban counter parts do, and our neighborhoods are overrun with drugs and crime.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:45 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
The first step IMO is realizing that minorities have issues that are unique to them, especially in the inner city. They need to realize that we don't vote race we vote issues and until they recognize our issues they won't be getting my vote. While they are talking about tax-cuts our inner city schools have half the resources that their suburban counter parts do, and our neighborhoods are overrun with drugs and crime.
I agree. But those issues can't trump what's best for America, as a whole. For example, when an immigrant community or the GLBT community or women feminists--to name but a few-- vote only for the candidate who represents their perceived interests, even if that candidate may be bad for the country.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I agree. But those issues can't trump what's best for America, as a whole. For example, when an immigrant community or the GLBT community or women feminists--to name but a few-- vote only for the candidate who represents their perceived interests, even if that candidate may be bad for the country.
Don't talk to me about country and freedom until those benefits reach my community. It seems to me you just gave the same argument republicans give for tax-cuts for the rich while people starve! Tell me about freedom when you are afraid for loved ones to leave your home.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I agree. But those issues can't trump what's best for America, as a whole.
This is off topic, but its my thread...

Speaking as an African American, I cannot think of a single issue confronting African Americans which when they were resolved did not benefit America as a whole, and I can't not think of a major issue (fringe stuff aside) that presently is of concern to African Americans that would not benefit the country as a whole.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
This is off topic, but its my thread...

Speaking as an African American, I cannot think of a single issue confronting African Americans which when they were resolved did not benefit America as a whole, and I can't not think of a major issue (fringe stuff aside) that presently is of concern to African Americans that would not benefit the country as a whole.
I don't understand how someone can say that the issues of a large segment of the population of the country don't represent the overall well being of it.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I don't understand how someone can say that the issues of a large segment of the population of the country don't represent the overall well being of it.
I suppose we will have to wait for another time for a more detailed explanation.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:38 AM

I for one hope that moving forward or anyone else is not detered from expressing themselves honestly and openly no matter how heated the debate. I think this thread can be a positive one if we speak honestly and openly about the subject at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies