Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
When did I say it was an excuse? I simply found the information interesting. I thought perhaps others would also. There is no need for name calling.
I found your post interesting and really don't think many here knew about what the post told us. Thank you for taking the chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 09:14 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
First and foremost, the gifts should be made in the USA -- like a fossil-fuel burnin' custom-built Orange County chopper for the Russian dude and a set of fair-trade, cruelty-free goat milk soaps for comrade Brown.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:26 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
The gift given to us was a pen holder made of wood from the sister ship to the HMS Resolute. This holds a very historic nature to it. the Resolute Desk which Rutherford B. Hayes used during his time in office was presented to Rutherford B. Hayes by Queen Victoria. What a thoughtful, and very meaningful gift to us. We gave him a gift basket of plastic CD's? What a horrid gift when compared to the gift given to the American people.

a little history of the ship, and why it symbolises what England and America mean to eachother.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Resolute_(1850)

Grinnell also convinced the United States government to restore Resolute and return her to England as a gesture of "national courtesy". The United States Congress bought her for $40,000 and then had her refitted and sailed to England under the command of Captain Hartstein USN, where she was presented to Queen Victoria on 17 December 1856 as a token of comity.[1]

The British government ordered a desk to be made from the timbers of the ship; it was constructed by cabinet makers at the Joiner's Shop of chatham Dockyard [[1]]. The desk was then presented to U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes in 1880 as a gesture of thanks for the rescue and return of Resolute

Old 03-09-2009, 11:40 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
The whole thing is embarrassing. The Obamas should be ashamed of their "gift".

Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakening Escapade View Post
I believe that someone at the White house wasn't doing their job- when the Obama's gave visiting PM Brown and his wife those gifts. Those gifts were embarrassing and seem more likely to have been selected from the gift store after the Brown's arrival. (Perhaps even re-gifting a box set of DVD's because it's difficult to imagine they were actually selected for the PM.)
The poor choice in gifts and cancellation of meeting because of "snow' -seemed less than dignified for visiting diplomats.
In my opinion- I think the Obama's should send a thank you note signed by the whole family. Including a framed picture of the girls in the new dresses- would be appropriate. (Just as one might do when a relative sends clothing as a gift.) A framed picture of the Obama's with the Brown's in a silver or crystal frame- engraved with the date of the visit and some official seal would also be perfect.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I am not at all familiar with protocol with Presidential and international gift giving - but who ever is involved with Presidential protocol clearly missed here with selection of appropriate gifts. If protocol and regulations allow, perhaps some of the following ideas might be useful:
When regulations allow perhaps giving a selection of cherry tree sprigs might be acceptable and meaningful. The cherry tree is a wonderful symbol of our nation's heritage and DC. I believe cherry blossoms are also highly regarded in Hawaiian culture-making it more appropriate coming from Obama. It would also fit in with the greener America theme that Obama's administration is taking towards new policies. (The idea is to make it personal, sentimental in nature rather than focus on monitory value. )
If regulations allow such a gift, recipients could choose to plant around their government buildings or donate them to schools. Of course an appropriate poem or statement would be included with the gift- so that the meaning of the gift and value of the relationship with the recipient would be honored.
------------------------------

Another possible idea would be making a select number of Crystal pieces with the Presidential seal and engraving the date and name of recipient . Just something small, simple, classy and commemorative of their meeting. An item one might place on a desk or bookshelf and treasure.
------
Gift baskets and boxes work really well. By selecting a nice 'container', filling it with several gift items- the presentation is nice and the focus is less on the actual contents. (Because gift baskets can be of any monetary value the initial focus is not on the value, complete details of items included can't be judged as clearly as a single item.) When one selects a special 'container' that too also becomes part of the gift and makes it more special.
--------------------------------------------
Including signed books- perhaps Obama's ) in any basket immediately makes the gift unique and thoughtful.
---------------------------------------
Perhaps a future project might be to honor them in some way like by having stones to commemorate their visit with their name and date of visit added around DC. ( Certainly it shows a certain respect for their visit during period of times in our history.)
------------------
Gift baskets work for children as well, they enjoy them. I am sure that children would love having packs of Presidential M &M's in the gift baskets- but imagine that isn't in keeping with regulations regarding food items.) Perhaps selecting items from among the most popular items from DC gift shops- along with some special keepsake from the President'. A small item can be specialized by adding an engraved plaque especially for the child receiving it. A book on American history or landmarks with a signed personal note from Obama would also be thoughtful and go along with the Obama administration theme of improving education . A book personalized with a note from Obama- is something any child would cherish for their lifetime!
(Add a small American flag to the children's gift bag)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Share ideas of what you feel would be appropriate gifts to represent our valued relations with other countries.

It doesn't matter now. We already screwed up and everyone knows it.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:24 AM

1,830 posts, read 5,349,571 times
There is a "Gifts Officer" at the State Deptment's Office of the Chief of Protocol who selects the gifts for visiting dignitaries. This along with the misspelled Russian "Reset" button ... I imagine someone's job is on very thin ice.
Ceremonials

Old 03-10-2009, 06:21 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,143 times
Obama probably fired the Gift Officer and replaced them with his illegal Aunt. DVD's to a Dignitary? What a disgrace and disrespect to him and his country. He is so crass and it shows.

Put this on top of the fact he returned the bust of Winston Churchill that they had loaned the White House because he wanted it replace with Lincoln. It was looked at as a sign on disrespect that he returned it. Obama said "thanks but no thanks".

Now he gives DVD's and models of his plane to Brown. What a slap in the face.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:11 AM

194 posts, read 325,736 times
As for Obama returning the Winston bust that was on loan from the UK- His grandfather was allegedly among those tortured in Kenya under Churchill's regime. I believe that was an acceptable reason to return the loaned item and place a bust of lincoln in the oval office instead.

As I stated this post really wasn't suppose to be a party issue.
Bush's gift to the PM was not appreciated either and was donated.

This is a simple example/reminder of how loosing focus keeps us from making any real progress.
If we spend as much energy on the actual issues- instead of allowing our vision to be blurred- we might actually resolve issues and make a difference in some things.

Check out some of my other posts.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post7759611

Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,580 times
Wouldn't it have been nicer if instead of returning the bust of Churchill, the decision had been made to move it to a different location in the WH, out of the Oval Office. I can understand his desire to "redecorate" and make the WH his own, but it also appears to be a slap in the face to send back. If whoever did that had thought it through, they would have come to the same conclusion!

Old 03-10-2009, 02:36 PM

194 posts, read 325,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Wouldn't it have been nicer if instead of returning the bust of Churchill, the decision had been made to move it to a different location in the WH, out of the Oval Office. I can understand his desire to "redecorate" and make the WH his own, but it also appears to be a slap in the face to send back. If whoever did that had thought it through, they would have come to the same conclusion!
Perhaps you are right VMH- but moving it could have caused a stir also depending on where it would have been placed. Since he was removing it from the oval office and it was on loan- seems reasonable to return it.

I also admit that without more information it seems that the visiting PM and his wife weren't offered the level of greeting that White House guests from the US seem to receive when joining in for a party.

Share ideas of what you feel would be appropriate gifts to represent our valued relations with other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies