Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,662,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Find me one of those kids parents who doesn't have a credit card racked up to the limit bub. Your example of how our economy is roaring is pathetic. People are in wally world because they want cheap goods. What malls are jammed? Show me some statistics on sales of these fancy stores the last year to prove me wrong and take your cell phones and nintendo's and shove em. Actually its called a Wii.
Here on the border the malls are packed full but the Walmarts are packed fuller yet. And find me a middle school kid without a cell phone, Wii player and plenty of games. When every kid over 10 has unlimited text messaging, we are NOT in a depression.

The sad thing is, you guys don't know what a depression even is. It's not when everyone has cable television with at least 100 channels and is looking at the newest iPhone. It's not when the fast food restaurants are packed full. It's not when the food stamp crowd heaps up two shopping carts with brand name items. It's when people cannot buy a pair of new shoes when their shoes have holes in the soles. It's when people have to wear a coat for 3 years and may have to put newspaper inside to cut the wind. It's when kids have to give up all the video games and movie tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Find me one of those kids parents who doesn't have a credit card racked up to the limit bub. Your example of how our economy is roaring is pathetic. People are in wally world because they want cheap goods. What malls are jammed? Show me some statistics on sales of these fancy stores the last year to prove me wrong and take your cell phones and nintendo's and shove em. Actually its called a Wii.
And easy availability of credit in order to buy, buy, buy like there's no tomorrow, does NOT indicate a Depression. I know what you mean though - my credit card companies keep upping my credit limits. I'm getting all kinds of offers, nothing has changed. THAT does not indicate a depression.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,429,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
If we're in a depression now, then we were in one in 1982/3 also. No one believes that. By most measures, we have not reached or exceeded levels seen in that recession. I'm gonna have a ton of fun in a year from now, digging up some of these posts.
Or you can go do that now. Dig up posts from a year ago saying there is no recession.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:52 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,940,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Here on the border the malls are packed full but the Walmarts are packed fuller yet. And find me a middle school kid without a cell phone, Wii player and plenty of games. When every kid over 10 has unlimited text messaging, we are NOT in a depression.

The sad thing is, you guys don't know what a depression even is. It's not when everyone has cable television with at least 100 channels and is looking at the newest iPhone. It's not when the fast food restaurants are packed full. It's not when the food stamp crowd heaps up two shopping carts with brand name items. It's when people cannot buy a pair of new shoes when their shoes have holes in the soles. It's when people have to wear a coat for 3 years and may have to put newspaper inside to cut the wind. It's when kids have to give up all the video games and movie tickets.
Comparing today to the Great Depression is almost as absurd as those who claim that Gays are experiencing discrimination equal to what Blacks went though in this country.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:45 AM

Yes -- a depression isn't when the Walmart shelves are well stocked and the warehouses are full of goods for people to buy. It's not when the Walmart parking lots are filled to overflowing and the store is packed full of shoppers filling up their carts.

A depression is when the production stops. People who have money don't have anything to buy. That's how it was in the Great Depression. Shelves were not well stocked. Stores were not packed. There were soup lines. Not $150 in food stamps for each family member so that carts could be filled with prime cut steaks, brand name ice creams and soft drinks like you see today. People actually knew what it was like to feel hungar pains or have a meal of soup and a sandwich and not the $7 burgers at Carls Jr.

People today would panic if they faced what people faced in the depression.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:19 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,026,397 times
Boy's and Girl's recessions and depressions are not based upon subjective and casual observations but calculations based upon declines in GDP.

A recession is 2 quarters of declining GDP and a depression is a recession where there is a 10% drop in GDP. It isn't based upon how many people you see shopping in Wal-Mart of eating at Red Lobster (although eating at Red Lobster would cause me to go into depression).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies