Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 09:19 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I personally do not feel that government should profit off of cigarette sales but if that leads to a decrease in smoking, then I'm all for it.
Do you know what would really lead to a decrease?

A BAN on tobacco. But, that won't happen because your government needs the $$$$$$. We all know that smokers tend to be less educated and lower income, so they're easy prey for the politicians looking for easy money. Personally, i feel that many non-smokers are misdirecting their anger over this issue. Rather than castigate the smoker, perhaps they should ask their elected representatives why this product is still being offered for sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 09:21 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I don't smoke around other people. None of my friends who are smokers do, either. But that doesn't stop extraordinarily rude people from verbally assaulting me if they see a pack of cigs in my purse or on my dashboard.

I HAVE had very fat people shove me, squeeze into a small space on a bench beside me, and assault me with their body odor -- the kind that comes with being obese in a hot climate. Unpleasant? Extremely so, especially since I'm disabled and it literally HURTS when an obese person plants a huge butt cheek on my arthritic leg. But I would NEVER think of insulting that person or hurting their feelings. I simply ask to be excused and extricate myself.

If you're that medically fragile, then I guess you need to take steps to protect yourself. The world is full of pollution, perfume, incense, gas exhaust, etc. It's not going to change for you.
I take the bus so I have limited places to go if the person sitting at the bench is smoking. It would be nice if they would ask the person if they minded before lighting up. Not everyone can breathe in the smoke without gagging. At least you and your friends are considerate but you guys are in the minority.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

A BAN on tobacco. But, that won't happen because your government needs the $$$$$$. We all know that smokers tend to be less educated and lower income, so they're easy prey for the politicians looking for easy money. Personally, i feel that many non-smokers are misdirecting their anger over this issue. Rather than castigate the smoker, perhaps they should ask their elected representatives why this product is still being offered for sale?
You do have a point there. Most smokers I knew were uneducated and many began the habit long before the anti-smoking warnings were commonplace. I think a cigarette ban with a grace period to allow smokers time to quit would be effective.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:26 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
I take the bus so I have limited places to go if the person sitting at the bench is smoking. It would be nice if they would ask the person if they minded before lighting up. Not everyone can breathe in the smoke without gagging. At least you and your friends are considerate but you guys are in the minority.
Sorry, but I can't believe that "La-la land" permits smoking anywhere near, let alone on, public transportation. It's not permitted here in Texas, and we're pretty live and let live. And what about the bus fumes? They don't bother you?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I can't believe that "La-la land" permits smoking anywhere near, let alone on, public transportation. It's not permitted here in Texas, and we're pretty live and let live. And what about the bus fumes? They don't bother you?
The cigarette smokers smoke outside on the bus bench and there is no law against that. It would be nice if smokers were more considerate then we would not need all of these anti-smoking measures. The bus fumes do bother me some but it isn't as suffocating as cigarette fumes.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:

That's odd. Most of my college professors smoked pipes or cigars.

Nope, smoking is just the current "boogeyman." I'm rather looking forward to what/who the libs will form lynch mobs about next. My bet is on fat people. Aren't the lib cities/states starting to put BMI scores on kids' report cards now or has that been struck down?

New York is now taxing non-diet sodas, I believe. That's really bizarre because those artificial sweeteners are super-bad for people and they're sneaking the stuff into everything. I'm highly allergic to it and I have to read labels carefully or I get really sick if I mistakenly ingest it. It would truly suck to have to pay more for products with a NATURAL sweetener but oh well!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:37 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
I don't rightly know. I buy ultra-cheap, off-brand ciggies. But I don't believe Texas adds nearly as many taxes onto ciggies as other states do so you'll probably find that they're cheaper.

What part of Texas are you visiting? If it's South Texas, I can recommend a chain store where I bought mine cheap when I lived down there. Here in West Texas, the locally owned ciggy shops are the cheapest.
I'm going to San Antonio. I'll be visiting my daughter in the Army and I have a feeling she could get them cheaper for me at the PX but she is also a smoke nazi and won't help me. So if you know any place in that area I'd be happy to find out. Misty cigs are cheaper than most brands but even they are now almost $50 a carton. I'm retired. I can't afford this. But I know after 50 years of smoking I probably can't stop either.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
The cigarette smokers smoke outside on the bus bench and there is no law against that. It would be nice if smokers were more considerate then we would not need all of these anti-smoking measures. The bus fumes do bother me some but it isn't as suffocating as cigarette fumes.
Odd. I smoke yet bus fumes make me gag. The few times I've had to ride a bus and blew my nose, dirt would come out of it. Guess your area's not very "enlightened." You're not allowed to smoke outside near our bus terminals.

But I have to laugh at your incredulity over needing laws to change behavior. Our society is FULL of such examples. Smokers aren't some sort of anomaly in that, as much as you seem to want to villify us.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:42 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:

Well, I'll put my level of education up against anyone else on this forum. I'm certainly not rich though because I'm a retired teacher and we don't make a lot of money so I'll give you the lower income. But I have a few friends that still smoke and the lowest level of education among them is a BA. I like to smoke. Some like to drink, drink coffee, eat Big Macs, or drive SUVs. Once they have managed to take away the smoker's "right to choose" they will start on those folks too.....until they have everyone "behaving themselves" in a way acceptable to all of you who know how others should live their lives. But be careful, they might find something in your lifestyle with which they disagree and then they will come after you.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:47 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Well, I'll put my level of education up against anyone else on this forum. I'm certainly not rich though because I'm a retired teacher and we don't make a lot of money so I'll give you the lower income. But I have a few friends that still smoke and the lowest level of education among them is a BA. I like to smoke. Some like to drink, drink coffee, eat Big Macs, or drive SUVs. Once they have managed to take away the smoker's "right to choose" they will start on those folks too.....until they have everyone "behaving themselves" in a way acceptable to all of you who know how others should live their lives. But be careful, they might find something in your lifestyle with which they disagree and then they will come after you.
O.K. folks, you can stop bolding my statement. I smoke too. It still doesn't change the fact that smokers are predominantly as i described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies