Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:30 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You called for the death of others.
(patiently) No, I called for the deaths of persons who had been duly tried by their peers (often MANY times), and found guilty of premeditated murder or other such especially horrible crimes, and been given a death sentence by the court empowered by the people for such tasks.

You do see the difference... don't you?
Quote:
You called for people to be murdered.
Well, I guess you don't see the difference. My sympathies.
Quote:
Personally, one innocent person murdered by the state is entirely too many.
One innocent person mistakenly sentenced to death and executed by the duly constituted authorities of the state, is a horrible tragedy. In a world populated by imperfect humans, it is also INEVITABLE. The people of George Washington's time, knew it as well as the people of today do. And yet they still approve of the Death Penalty for certain horrible crimes, and have throughout the long history of this country. Why do you suppose that is?

The only way to avoid it, is to eliminate the Death Penalty for even the crimes that clearly deserve it, deliberate multiple mass murder such as the Alabama one, being one such.

The result of this, is that a few of the people who might have been deterred by a looming Death Penalty, who now sees that he will be given room and board for life, for free, by the State, in exchange for killing people he insanely hates, now sees that it's not such a bad deal after all. And so he'll go ahead and do his crime, rather than backing off for fear of his own life.

So you have decided that the many people killed by such individuals, are OK to lose, as long as the State (that is, YOUR representatives) doesn't kill far fewer innocents by mistake? You never did answer the question of what percentage of Death Row inmates are proven innocent. Still waiting....

I get it now. Killing innocent people is OK with you, as long as YOU don't have blood on your hands via (far fewer) innocents being killed by your own representatives.

Did someone mention "simple cowardice"? And a "hate-filled head"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 03:48 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
"Many"??? Exactly what percentage would that be, out of all Death Row inmates?

Let me get this straight. I suggested that crazy whackos like this Alabama shooter should be let loose inside a Death Row, where every inmate has been duly tried and convicted and given a death sentence, instead of running free to shoot innocent people on their porches and inside their houses.

And you're trying to tell me that letting him shoot up a Death Row would give us a WORSE result than what happened yesterday???

You are very strange.
I think you're strange. Maybe you'd like the scene you described on TV, pay for view?
Prisons are part of the justice system. Letting lunatics into prisons to shoot inmates doesn't sound like justice, nor is it civilized behavior. Revenge, hatred, and bloodshed should not be part of the justice system.
This rampage, and the one in Germany, are tragedies. America is a violent society, not all violence is suppressed.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:58 PM

820 posts, read 1,202,995 times
This is the first mass murder shooting incident in a long time that did not take place in a "Gun Free Zone".

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
There have been more shootings like this this year. I guess the other guys didn't have good aim because I can't remember more than 2 people dying in any of the shootings.

I think we have more shootings now because of: 1) larger population than in the 1930s; 2) more stress in our lives caused by things like multi-tasking and long commutes; 3) easy access to firearms. There also appears to be at least one generation that doesn't place that high of a value on life.
People have also been fighting back. In the Illinios and Tennesee church shootings , people swarmed the murderer.
In the serial ( 2 innocents killed in each ) Colorado church incidents , a different approach stopped the killing.
www.wikipedia.com
Type in: Jeanne Assam ( Case sensitive).

Miss Assam counterattacked the murderer. She fired a total of about 10 shots during the engagement. The shot that directly ended the killer's life was fired by his own hand. Her pastor credited her with saving at least 100 people. Jeanne Assam was officially commended by the Colorado Legislature.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:09 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I think you're strange. Maybe you'd like the scene you described on TV, pay for view?
Prisons are part of the justice system. Letting lunatics into prisons to shoot inmates doesn't sound like justice, nor is it civilized behavior. Revenge, hatred, and bloodshed should not be part of the justice system.
This rampage, and the one in Germany, are tragedies. America is a violent society, not all violence is suppressed.
Wow. The first rule of holes, V, is that when you're in one, stop digging.

Now, by your logic, Germany is a peaceful society. Hmmm. I'm fairly certain that the Poles, Danes, Norwegians, Belgian, Dutch, French, Slavs, Russians, Jews, Gypsies, Greeks, Italians, and British would probably disagree with you, given that nation's lemminglike thrusts across peaceful borders.

The Brits, of course, ruled 1/4th the world with an iron fist with their military prowess. The French, a little less. And, whereas Americans torturing alleged terrorists is an absolute disgrace, the routine torture exercised by the French to this day remains their dirty little secret.

The Belgians committed unspeakable atrocities in the Congo. The Dutch did the same in Indonesia which, upon independence, did the same in East Timor. Spain and Portugal, of course, had their own little atrocities, a heritage that remains in Latin America to this day.

The Russians? Well, we all know the story on them. The Chinese and Japan? Public record there, too. And when India and Pakistan parted ways, a few million people on the subcontinent parted with their lives. Africa has always been a genocidal basketcase, and the happy isles of Oceania were the scene of tribal massacres and cannibalism long before James Cook began exploring. The Arab states have a pretty breathtaking record of internecine violence, treachery, and corruption. Even in America, the Elysian fields that sentimentalists like you never fail to bemoan, native tribes routinely conquered and wiped each other out.

The history of mankind is violence. Read your Nietzsche, Carlyle and Gobineau. Singling out the United States as a violent culture is laughable beyond belief.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:23 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,542 times
Quote:
(patiently) No, I called for the deaths of persons who had been duly tried by their peers (often MANY times), and found guilty of premeditated murder or other such especially horrible crimes, and been given a death sentence by the court empowered by the people for such tasks.

One innocent person mistakenly sentenced to death and executed by the duly constituted authorities of the state, is a horrible tragedy. In a world populated by imperfect humans, it is also INEVITABLE. The people of George Washington's time, knew it as well as the people of today do. And yet they still approve of the Death Penalty for certain horrible crimes, and have throughout the long history of this country. Why do you suppose that is?

The only way to avoid it, is to eliminate the Death Penalty for even the crimes that clearly deserve it, deliberate multiple mass murder such as the Alabama one, being one such.

The result of this, is that a few of the people who might have been deterred by a looming Death Penalty, who now sees that he will be given room and board for life, for free, by the State, in exchange for killing people he insanely hates, now sees that it's not such a bad deal after all. And so he'll go ahead and do his crime, rather than backing off for fear of his own life.

So you have decided that the many people killed by such individuals, are OK to lose, as long as the State (that is, YOUR representatives) doesn't kill far fewer innocents by mistake? You never did answer the question of what percentage of Death Row inmates are proven innocent. Still waiting....

I get it now. Killing innocent people is OK with you, as long as YOU don't have blood on your hands via (far fewer) innocents being killed by your own representatives.

Room and board for life for free............so, therefore, people will go on killing sprees if there were no death penalty because they know they'll get "room and board for life for free"?

So how do you explain the lack of people going on killing sprees in order to get free room and board for life in the states which do NOT currently have a death penalty?? Huh?
Did you even know that NOT EVERY STATE has the death penalty??

Would YOU like to be that one innocent who will inevitably (as you said) be executed by your state? How about any of your family members? Would you volunteer any of them to be the "inevitable" innocent to be executed?

Certainly, the man who went on that rampage yesterday was not thinking about the death penalty, but was someone with a serious mental health illness.....and in the end he KILLED himself. No trials. No death penalty. How you could possibly even make a link between that guy and the death penalty is very strange logic, IMO.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM

820 posts, read 1,202,995 times
Eh.
Dead end discussion.
These mass murderers almost always commit suicide to avoid capture.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:39 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
people will go on killing sprees if there were no death penalty because they know they'll get "room and board for life for free"?
Why do you say they would do that? I certainly didn't.

Sounds like chielgirl isn't the only strange one here.

(other weird fantasy questions deleted)

Quote:
Certainly, the man who went on that rampage yesterday was not thinking about the death penalty, but was someone with a serious mental health illness.....and in the end he KILLED himself.
Yup. Some of the especially insane ones are like that, and obviously the death penalty will not deter them.

Quote:
How you could possibly even make a link between that guy and the death penalty is very strange logic, IMO.
I would agree if I had done so. However, we have to give credit where credit is due: it was chielgirl who connected the two, with her bizarre statement implying there was no difference between a madman shooting innocent people in Alabama, with the state executing convicted murderers on Death Row.

Very strange logic, I agree. (To put it mildly!)

Old 03-11-2009, 04:53 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Another violent control freak (wannabe cop) who acted out using his gun(s)

Old 03-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbear48 View Post
Eh.
Dead end discussion.
These mass murderers almost always commit suicide to avoid capture.
Always??? "These mass murderers".........what does almost always mean? Is that like almost never?

Last edited by Austin13; 03-11-2009 at 05:06 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 05:03 PM

Default Little Acorn

Quote:

itThe result of this, is that a few of the people who might have been deterred by a looming Death Penalty, who now sees that he will be given room and board for life, for free, by the State, in exchange for killing people he insanely hates, now sees that 's not such a bad deal after all. And so he'll go ahead and do his crime, rather than backing off for fear of his own life.

Yes, you did say that. See above and below quote from you.

You said:

"The result of this, is that a few of the people who might have been deterred by a looming Death Penalty, who now sees that he will be given room and board for life, for free, by the State, in exchange for killing people he insanely hates, now sees that 's not such a bad deal after all. And so he'll go ahead and do his crime, rather than backing off for fear of his own life."

You said perhaps the result of not having a death penalty would be that some people would go on killing sprees and kill "people he insanely hates" because, not only would there be no death penalty to deter such an action, but that the person would actually get free room and board for the rest of that's person's life.........the implication being that not having the death penalty, and having the opportunity to spend life in prison, would motivate someone to kill whomever they might want to kill.

Are you living in such poverty that you would consider living in a prison and eating prison food for the rest of your life something YOU would opt for?

I read your earlier posts as well. You were advocating having mentally ill people go shoot up all the inmates on death row as an acceptable alternative......if you don't recognize that you said that, perhaps you should re-read your posts made here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies