Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The death penalty has never been proven to deter crime. People who wish to kill aren't usually thinking very clearly. And I frankly don't trust the government with such power. Perhaps you have no issue with killing innocent people (wrongful convictions) but I do. Perhaps if you someday were wrongfully accused and then convicted of a crime you'd feel differently? Sounds like that's what it would take. I've seen enough cases where people have been freed based on new evidence, or, simply looking at old evidence that was hidden or such by prosecutors.
Whoa, I absolutely agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Of course, if your goal is simply to try to make someone look bad, then I can see why you go to all this effort to ignore the obvious.
You don't need help, you look sufficiently ridiculous with your own posts.

BTW, on the German shooting ini Stuttgart yesterday; the parents didn't have one gun locked up (as is the law) and there will be punishment for the parents as well. I believe there were 3 guns in the house and 1 was not secured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 05:44 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,213,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The death penalty has never been proven to deter crime. People who wish to kill aren't usually thinking very clearly. And I frankly don't trust the government with such power. Perhaps you have no issue with killing innocent people (wrongful convictions) but I do. Perhaps if you someday were wrongfully accused and then convicted of a crime you'd feel differently? Sounds like that's what it would take. I've seen enough cases where people have been freed based on new evidence, or, simply looking at old evidence that was hidden or such by prosecutors.
I agree. I think for many people the only way they could ever understand what you're talking about is if they were wrongfully convicted............It seems that many people cannot learn from the experiences of others. It has to be direct, first-hand knowledge.

And, what would we do without the arrogant folks?

Old 03-12-2009, 05:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
It seems to me that someone angry enough to set out to shoot a bunch of people is not about to be deterred by any form of Law. Rage is not effected by rules and never has been. Shooting him before he shoots you is about the only way to stay alive when a man has decided to kill you.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
We can start by putting a sign on every Death Row in every prison that has one, saying:

--------------------------------------
OPEN SEASON

Watch for ricochets from cell door bars

Please use eye and ear protection

(have a nice day!)
--------------------------------------

...and leave the outside door unlocked.

All those nice, duly convicted murderers etc. just waiting to help you polish your shooting skills. And it won't cost the states a penny, except for the janitor to mop up in the cells afterward.

Any other suggestions?
So you don't agree with how the justice system in the states which have a death penalty handles death cases and death row? Any you tried to deny that you made any connection between those shootings and the death penalty....

Someone else brought up that little problem of wrongful convictions....and you even addressed the issue by saying that we live in an imperfect world so, of course, it is inevitable that the state will inevitably kill an "innocent" .............which could very easily be you.

What do YOU mean by "duly convicted"?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It seems to me that someone angry enough to set out to shoot a bunch of people is not about to be deterred by any form of Law. Rage is not effected by rules and never has been. Shooting him before he shoots you is about the only way to stay alive when a man has decided to kill you.
I believe numerous studies have been done which show that the death penalty is not a deterrent. I think in some states the laws actually say that the goal is punishment, not deterrance. I agree with you, when someone is in a state of mind which leads them on a shooting rampage, they are not going to be thinking about the law or the FUTURE.

Of course, the neighbor who rescued the little baby hid from the shooter and didn't get killed.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Well, it always has to get racial, doesn't it? I don't think race had anything to do with the shootings in Alabama. You know, if someone would ever say Brown or Yellow or Black Power vibe--I bet the moderator would take some action.

I guess I will just stick to my "guns and religion." By the way, Alabama is hardly Middle America. It is in the Deep South. But if you are from the West or East coast I guess anything in-between is just bigotted Middle America.

I wasn't going to comment, but this just got my "white" goat. I don't think the moderator wants this discussion to continue. It would be nice to just get rid of my thread and the "white vibe" thread althogether and put it to rest.

I have nothing against "Guns and Religon". Maybe your sensitivity is becuase what I speak is truth. I've been through "Middle America" and while many are upstanding citizens, There has always been a "siege" mentality against those evil "others" (gays, minorities, rich people, poor people, artsy-fartsy, intellectual, whoever-esle-doesn't-fit-in, etc).

It's a defining feature of agragarian societies....

Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbear48 View Post
Eh.
Dead end discussion.
These mass murderers almost always commit suicide to avoid capture.
AND save the taxpayers $50k a year in prisons costs and court costs. IF this guy had been apprehended, and at his age, multiply $50k a year times ??? years, say, 40 years, that's $2million that he saved the taxpayers. So let's, at least, buy him a tombstone for saving us all that money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies