Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:44 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,283,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Why is it ok for the US to LOVE China (especially cons and repugs), but not ok to show anything but HATE for Cuba?
What's the difference, particulary 20 years ago?
Because China practically owns our economy?

I hear ya though...hypocrisy at best. Forget human rights, or any other issue...it's all about $$$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 10:51 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,529,005 times
I actually don't get why we can't travel to Cuba. I mean, North Korea is run by a dictator yet we can still travel there. I say lift the ban. Besides, I've heard that Cuba is actually a beautiful place to go to.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:46 AM

18,056 posts, read 25,139,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Weakness on his part (combined with the global downturn) will only give Latin America's revolutionary leaders more resolve to cause havoc in the region and cause more poor refugees to wash upon our shores.
That's funny, because the current law says that any Cuba that touches US soil get residency immediately.

Here's a little information that our republican friends are gonna like:
From 2002 to 2008, the US went from the 10th to being the 5th largest trade partner of Cuba (sell them food)
thanks to ... GWB.
Cuba says U.S. climbs to 5th leading trade partner | Reuters

Same BS as always,
It's ok for corporations to sell thing to Cuba (make money)
but God forgive that an American citizen go to Cuba "illegally"
Alliance of Baptists fined for Cuba ministry

Old 03-14-2009, 01:09 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,601,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's funny, because the current law says that any Cuba that touches US soil get residency immediately.

Here's a little information that our republican friends are gonna like:
From 2002 to 2008, the US went from the 10th to being the 5th largest trade partner of Cuba (sell them food)
thanks to ... GWB.
Cuba says U.S. climbs to 5th leading trade partner | Reuters
You have to make it the 110+ mile journey across the Gulfstream or hijack a plane or a boat for that dream to come true. Many Cubans have died attempting all of these feats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Same BS as always,
It's ok for corporations to sell thing to Cuba (make money)
but God forgive that an American citizen go to Cuba "illegally"
Alliance of Baptists fined for Cuba ministry
Farm commodities were allowed (on a limited basis) for export to Cuba. Though its economic impact was not noticable to even the few US states engaged in one-way trade with Cuba (Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana), it made a big impact in Cuba. Many mouthes were fed as a result of it. Unfortunately, American companies had to prematurely stop shipments of corn and grain to Cuba because of the island nation's failure to pay accordingly. (The Cuban government has horrible credit)

Old 03-14-2009, 01:47 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,219,543 times
Quote:
link

http://www.democracyinamericas.org/cubacentral/ (broken link)
Were you calling for this during the Bush administration?
Just more "blame Obama" rhetoric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
I want to go to Cuba!

As soon as they lift the ban I will be on a plane faster than you can say Capitalism.
You can go to Cuba already, just can’t fly out of the US. You can easily fly from Canada or Mexico or any European or Asian airport.
Your post is simply a whine. If you were really interested, you could have been there already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Anyone in the US should be free to travel to Cuba, Cuban or not. I see it as an infringement on personal freedom to restrict a US citizen (or anyone else) from visiting another country.
When did you start whining about this tragedy?
Oh yeah, since Obama was elected.
Where were you for the past 40 years?

Quote:
You have to make it the 110+ mile journey across the Gulfstream or hijack a plane or a boat for that dream to come true. Many Cubans have died attempting all of these feats.
Other people who come to the US have just an arduous journey, yet they are not provided immediate citizenship.
In fact, they’re called illegal immigrants.
My question is why are they special and why aren’t the "close the border" people whining about them?

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-14-2009 at 02:23 AM..

Old 03-14-2009, 01:53 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,529,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Were you calling for this during the Bush administration?
Just more blame Obama rhetoric.

You can go to Cuba already, just can’t fly out of the US. You can easily fly from Canada or Mexico or any European or Asian airport.
Your post is simply a whine. If you were really interested, you could have been there already.

When did you start whining about this tragedy?
Oh yeah, since Obama was elected.
Where were you for the past 40 years?

Other people who come to the US have just an arduous journey, yet they are not provided immediate citizenship. In fact, they’re called illegal immigrants. My question is why are they special and why aren’t the close the border people whining about them?
Hey Chiel, good to see ya! But I think Portoro & Bcrease aren't whining, they're just mentioning something that should be true...americans should be allowed to travel to Cuba straight from here. I think many people don't realize that you actually can go there as long as you don't fly out of the U.S.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:24 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,219,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Hey Chiel, good to see ya! But I think Portoro & Bcrease aren't whining, they're just mentioning something that should be true...americans should be allowed to travel to Cuba straight from here. I think many people don't realize that you actually can go there as long as you don't fly out of the U.S.
If they were really interested, they would have known that.
It's very simple with our friend google.

I find the bs in that it's all Obama's fault, as the thread header states.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:03 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,129,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Other people who come to the US have just an arduous journey, yet they are not provided immediate citizenship.
Cubans are not provided immediate citizenship.

They are "parolled" and after one year and one day they obtain permanent residency. Big difference from citizenship.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:09 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,129,280 times
When there's a will there's a way so anyone who wants to go to Cuba can. It may be more inconvenient and more expensive but it's doable. We don't really have to wait for anyone to "allow" US citizens to do directly from US soil BUT some of us don't want to risk doing it illegally.

Maybe that's what Portorro is afraid of. The legality of doing it through a 3rd country.

Personally, I'd rather do it legally also. It's all a matter of when I get the real urge to go. So far I've preferred to spend my money going to other places.

And to that poster who spent time in Havana and thinks it's so wonderful - you definitely need to go back and stay a bit longer and live like a Cuban lives and work like a Cuban works and study like a Cuban studies and eat like a real Cuban eats, day in, day out, year in, year out.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:57 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,283,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
When there's a will there's a way so anyone who wants to go to Cuba can. It may be more inconvenient and more expensive but it's doable. We don't really have to wait for anyone to "allow" US citizens to do directly from US soil BUT some of us don't want to risk doing it illegally.

Maybe that's what Portorro is afraid of. The legality of doing it through a 3rd country.

Personally, I'd rather do it legally also. It's all a matter of when I get the real urge to go. So far I've preferred to spend my money going to other places.

And to that poster who spent time in Havana and thinks it's so wonderful - you definitely need to go back and stay a bit longer and live like a Cuban lives and work like a Cuban works and study like a Cuban studies and eat like a real Cuban eats, day in, day out, year in, year out.
My issue is that there shouldn't be rules restricting anyone from traveling to another country, especially as a result of a travel ban dating back to the old Cold War / Soviet Union days. If I feel like going to Cuba tomorrow, there should be nothing preventing me from doing so, other than the Cuban government itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies