Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:18 AM

229 posts, read 691,154 times

Advertisements

Cuba is really cheap for vacationing.
I also feel bad for them, because they have an excellent education system, but nobody pays highly educated people more than non educated people. I know somebody that went there, and they said it was common for a lawyer to be working as a waiter in a restaurant for tourists, because they made more money that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 08:40 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,156,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMaster View Post
I also feel bad for them, because they have an excellent education system, but nobody pays highly educated people more than non educated people. I know somebody that went there, and they said it was common for a lawyer to be working as a waiter in a restaurant for tourists, because they made more money that way.
And it's true. Plus they get to steal food now and then for the rest of the family. Over there it's all a matter of what you can do to survive and all is fair. That's why we have such a big problem with the majority of the new arrivals. It's a whole other ballgame in Cuba and that's all they have known for most of their lives (those who were born in the last 50 years). It's all about how you can take advantage, have a pair of jeans, and a plate of food.

I have no idea what a lawyer gets to practice in Cuba but it ain't real law anyway.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMaster View Post
Hotels in Havana are not that cheap. Not really. I don't consider $150/night cheap, here or there. And what do you get?

The other thing may be the all inclusive packages for Canadians and Europeans. That's relatively cheap but don't think you get the same things as the ones in Jamaica, DR, Mexico, etc.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:42 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
we dont do biz with dirty commies? what is china?
no reason not to trade with cuba.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
My issue is that there shouldn't be rules restricting anyone from traveling to another country, especially as a result of a travel ban dating back to the old Cold War / Soviet Union days. If I feel like going to Cuba tomorrow, there should be nothing preventing me from doing so, other than the Cuban government itself.
I don't have a problem with your issue. I have a problem with not actually being able to go there from the US directly, as a US citizen.

There IS nothing preventing you from going, just like there is nothing stopping me other than perhaps some extra inconvenience, legal issues, conscience. Petty stuff.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:56 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,138 times
Nothing could be worse than allowing people to visit their families. This is truly the most disastrous thing Obama has done thus far. I mean, forget about the families for a minute, how are we going to save face and look tough if we go around being rational and stuff?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:23 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I don't have a problem with your issue. I have a problem with not actually being able to go there from the US directly, as a US citizen.

There IS nothing preventing you from going, just like there is nothing stopping me other than perhaps some extra inconvenience, legal issues, conscience. Petty stuff.
You should be able to travel directly there from any US airport. Havana is no distance at all from Miami....it'd be great to be able to visit that island by just hopping on a plane for just a 1 hour flight. I hope that becomes reality soon....especially for the Cubans here who would easily be able to visit their families & friends.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:53 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,155 times
Folks are mentioning that Americans can visit Cuba by going thru other countries: ie Canada and Mexico?
I've heard of US Customs and Immigration getting wind of folks that do this and they fine them big time.
From the US State Dept Website.

This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities have increased enforcement of these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

The ban needs to be lifted, end of story, especially since we can travel to North Korea and Saudi Arabia, which are way more oppressive than Cuba.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:09 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Today I heard that whatever was signed and now Cubans can come and go to see their relatives in Cuba as they please. Don't have to wait to do it every 3 years.
No, not as they please, but once a year as opposed to once every three years.

I don't see anything wrong with letting people visit their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies