Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:08 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,602,200 times

Advertisements

link

http://www.democracyinamericas.org/cubacentral/ (broken link)

Is now the time? Amidst an economic crisis with no hope in sight? Will we have to jeopardize our morals to barter a liberalized Cuba? What about human rights? I see something alla Carter 1980. I can see nothing but negative implications for Miami if Cuba gradually opens...

But who cares, right? Havana was a bustling city hundreds of years before Miami was even on the map...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 07:02 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,692,730 times
It is our Right, as stated on the Constitution of the USA, that we have Freedom of Travel!!! I want to go to Cuba!!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,290,823 times
I just wonder... If I go to Cuba will I hear more English than I do in Miami?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,672,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I just wonder... If I go to Cuba will I hear more English than I do in Miami?

According to a friend of mine who was over there about five years back the answer is yes.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:35 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,602,200 times
Americans should have the right to travel and do business there, but with limitations. All-out open border policy with Cuba will be a disaster, and it will make our president look like a wus to inflammatory, leftist leaders in South America like Hugo Chavez, Evo Morales (Bolivia), Rafael Correa (Ecuador), and Daniel Ortega (Nicaragua).

Obama has to be careful of how he handles the Cuba situation. Weakness on his part (combined with the global downturn) will only give Latin America's revolutionary leaders more resolve to cause havoc in the region and cause more poor refugees to wash upon our shores.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,284,115 times
I don't care if this offends anyone, but I'd like to see ALL restrictions lifted on Cuba, including the travel ban. I want the lifting of the travel ban to also allow non-Cuban Americans the chance to visit that island.

The embargo has failed and is only hurting the people of that island and Cuba will only become "free" when we start to open lines of communication and trade with them.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:14 AM

22,198 posts, read 29,233,672 times
IF they do that, the bf and I will be on a plane heading down there. He wants to see the plantations his families once owned..

Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,290,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
The embargo has failed and is only hurting the people of that island and Cuba will only become "free" when we start to open lines of communication and trade with them.
Open lines of communication nor even economic prosparity automatically lead to freedom. China has total capitalism and freedom of the marketplace but it is still ruled by a totalitarian regime.

If they do open Cuba up I can see the Cuba Department of Tourism's slogan now: "Come to Cuba. It's just like Miami only we speak English".

Old 03-12-2009, 09:18 AM

537 posts, read 291,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
link

http://www.democracyinamericas.org/cubacentral/ (broken link)

Is now the time? Amidst an economic crisis with no hope in sight? Will we have to jeopardize our morals to barter a liberalized Cuba? What about human rights? I see something alla Carter 1980. I can see nothing but negative implications for Miami if Cuba gradually opens...

But who cares, right? Havana was a bustling city hundreds of years before Miami was even on the map...
The government should not be telling us when we can visit our relatives. I oppose the Cuban dictatorship; however, people have the right to keep in touch with their families. Let the Castro government impose the restrictions, not the USA.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:17 AM

640 posts, read 1,818,878 times
Default right wing neo-fascist cuba libre want restrictions to remain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Americans should have the right to travel and do business there, but with limitations. All-out open border policy with Cuba will be a disaster, and it will make our president look like a wus to inflammatory, leftist leaders in South America like Hugo Chavez, Evo Morales (Bolivia), Rafael Correa (Ecuador), and Daniel Ortega (Nicaragua).

Obama has to be careful of how he handles the Cuba situation. Weakness on his part (combined with the global downturn) will only give Latin America's revolutionary leaders more resolve to cause havoc in the region and cause more poor refugees to wash upon our shores.
The Latin American leaders you talk about can point to the U.S. and claim that it's hypocritical and two-faced, and therefore doesn't need to be paid attention to. They can make a good case, since the U.S. will trade with almost anyone if there's enough money in it; dictatorship is not a problem.

With respect to creating havoc, the U.S. were less hypocritical, then those dictatorial leaders would have less of a leg to stand on.

The U.S. policy toward Latin America has been an utter failure the past 8 years. Part of the problem is that the U.S. wasn't even paying attention to the region. Anything would have been an improvement over that.

Your attitude toward looking tough is very typical neocon-think. You'd think that a set of policies that have failed consistently for years would have an effect on people who hold that ideology, but that is apparently not the case. If a "leftist" is one who wants to move away from failure, then it sounds like a compliment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies