Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:56 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

CBC, how interesting, and I can see that.
I'm living in Europe where bread has no shelf life.
Seriously, if I buy bread today, I have to eat it today or maybe tomorrow if I heat it in the oven.

Now that I'm eating better, I find that I naturally have enough fiber and thanks to tofu, enough protein. I find that my cravings for bad food have subsided.

Next learning experience, quinoa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Seriously, if I buy bread today, I have to eat it today or maybe tomorrow if I heat it in the oven.

Now that I'm eating better, I find that I naturally have enough fiber and thanks to tofu, enough protein. I find that my cravings for bad food have subsided.

Ah, but the bread is so much better, isn't it? I don't think that the French, for example, do everything better, but the bread... I still dream about real french bread....

Quinoa, btw, is great stuff. Tasty. Healthy. I wish it were a little easier to find. It's rare-ish in Chicago (besides in joints like Whole Foods) and super hard to find in smaller cities/towns.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:14 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
I've seen Quinoa at my regular supermarket in recent months (Stop & Shop), and Stevia as well, two things I used to have to buy at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. Their organic selection has become larger and more inexpensive as well.

When I started buying bread from the bakery rather than the shelf, I was amazed that it went moldy in only 2 or 3 days. Then it scared the crap out of me thinking what they must put in the bread on the shelves that can last 5 times as long.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:18 PM

When I travel to Thailand, I usually pick up stevia leaves.
I always send some to my friends with diabetes.
Did you know that aspartame sponsors American Diabetes Association functions. That cracks me up.

Yes, French baguettes cannot be touched by any other country/culture on earth.
SE Asia, particularly Laos and Cambodia, have many French bakeries, but they can't compare to real French pastries.
Yes, American bread scares me.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:24 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Ah, but the bread is so much better, isn't it? I don't think that the French, for example, do everything better, but the bread... I still dream about real french bread....

Quinoa, btw, is great stuff. Tasty. Healthy. I wish it were a little easier to find. It's rare-ish in Chicago (besides in joints like Whole Foods) and super hard to find in smaller cities/towns.

Aaah...a warm baguette with sweet organic butter...I could cry! And quinoa is not only good but versatile. It's readily found at this end of the state...even Kroger carries it. Interesting, huh?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:31 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
Aaah...a warm baguette with sweet organic butter...I could cry! And quinoa is not only good but versatile. It's readily found at this end of the state...even Kroger carries it. Interesting, huh?
Wonderful stuff, that.

As for quinoa, I'll say that I don't generally scour Jewel or Dominicks for it. Perhaps it's there, and I'm just overlooking it. Either way, it's still harder to find in EITHER place than, say, pasta or rice.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:37 PM

That's because it's better for you.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
That's true...I have to drive 6 miles to a Kroger that carries it. And the medical care down here is so bad that they treated me for Crohn's for 8 years before I convinced my gastroenterologist to do a DNA test.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:45 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

I'm living in London for the semester and the first time I bought bread, I had a slice and put it back on the shelf. Came back 3 days later and didn't even look at it, just mindlessly slathered on a bit of cream cheese and some smoked salmon. And then I looked down and GREEN. Oy. Keeps at least 3 days if you throw it in the fridge, though.

A few years ago I was misdiagnosed with celiac disease so I cut out all gluten products and by default most prepackaged foods. Even though it didn't solve my health problems, I never felt better. Now that I'm a student in London with no kitchen access and little money to afford many fruits and veggies, I'm on a diet of sandwiches and microwavables. Even though I'm eating worse than normal, the lack of chemicals still leave me feeling better. It's astounding.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:53 PM

Hey, Indian buffets are a great way to splurge when you can, but only at lunch when the prices are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies