Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:59 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
CBC, how interesting, and I can see that.
I'm living in Europe where bread has no shelf life.
Seriously, if I buy bread today, I have to eat it today or maybe tomorrow if I heat it in the oven.

Now that I'm eating better, I find that I naturally have enough fiber and thanks to tofu, enough protein. I find that my cravings for bad food have subsided.

Next learning experience, quinoa.
You are in Germany, aren't you? I always bought "Dinkelbrot", which is spelt bread here (but never quite tastes the same) and whole grain breads (ground from whole grain, just before baking), they actually were good for several days. The thing I miss the most - GOOD bread! Can't wait to get that in May

Eating whole, natural foods is best and the general population has gotten so far away from that. If you look at the ingredients in the food we eat, it is no wonder so many kids already have allergies and are getting sick. Corn syrup is a cheap sweetener, cheaper than sugar.

Here is an article on a study about Corn syrup and mercury

Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury - washingtonpost.com

and here one about pesticide use
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030603294.html
PS... amaranth is another tasty grain to try!

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 04:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Dinklebrot sounds good.
Where will you be in May? I'm hoping to go to St. Petersburg for 10 days or so before school gets out.

I think your second link is off, it's a duplicate of the first.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 AM

26,213 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
An interesting piece on how the food industry and agriculture has placed to much emphasis on empty calories and the corn fed American. George Will : Corn-Fed Nation - Townhall.com
I haven't had time to look up the statistics but it would be interesting to see how much petroleum is used each year in food production and agriculture. I bet it is quite substantial.
I read that piece too, very interesting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Have you read Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma? There's quite a bit of information in there that's relevant to what you are asking. Our dependence on corn is a truly frightening thing, and, I believe, expensive in many ways.
I have just read the book, amazing info. Love the detailed look at PolyFace Farm back in VA. I hope thousands of small farmers go that route.

Quote:
...I'm chemically sensitive, I find it difficult but try to eat only bio (living in Europe, it's much easier to eat bio with higher standards than the weakened US standards). The difference in price between bio and not is not significant.
Re, weakened food standards, author Pollan explains the official government definition for a "free range chicken" got watered down to mean "access" to being able to range around freely. In practice, here's how it works: The chickens have a life of 8 weeks from hatching to slaughter. The first 5-6 weeks they are LOCKED up in those big chicken houses (no free ranging) to keep them from contracting a disease (if one gets sick, they have to kill all 20,000 in the coop). Then, for the last 2-3 weeks of their short lives, they unlock what amounts to a "doggie-door" at one end of the coop, and any chicken that wants to leave the coop to go run around outside can do so, but few ever do as it isn't natural for them to leave the food and water of the coop to run around in the dirt outside.

Quote:
Try reading Twinkie Deconstructed. It talks about food additives being mined. Salukifan1, I may pick it up. I belong to a low carb veggie mail group, it helps a bit.
Is this a yahoo or google group that is easy to find and join? Link?

Quote:
Dinklebrot sounds good.
I knew a guy who had Dinklebrot once; the doctor gave him penicillin for it.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:01 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
An interesting piece on how the food industry and agriculture has placed to much emphasis on empty calories and the corn fed American.

George Will : Corn-Fed Nation - Townhall.com

I haven't had time to look up the statistics but it would be interesting to see how much petroleum is used each year in food production and agriculture. I bet it is quite substantial.
The beef industry allowed to sue him for slander? Didn't Oprah get beat on for bringing growth hormones up on her show?

Abuse or neglect? We appear to have a two party system that negates any improvement we try to make as a nation. WIC is meant to make sure children get proper nutrition so they don't wind up handicapped in school, but when milk products available are <potentially> harming human health, how dare we investigate these claims????

The only way dairy products can be affordable to all is by paying monsanto corporation??? I'd love to see family farmers weigh in on this subject BIG TIME, but they likely don't have the time to spend in blogs because they work too hard competing with agribiz.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:11 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Avoiding empty calorie foods--- brown rice has far more nutritional value than white rice.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:24 PM

26,213 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Speaking of the O.P.'s query as to how much petroleum is used by agri-biz, the info in Pollan's book says that all-told, the agri-biz uses an amount of petroleum that is EQUAL to all that is used by the automobiles in this country.

And that's a LOT.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:33 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Reading this thread brings back memories of when I first found out that the food being shoved into my mouth was crap. You seriously don't know until you've tried organic foods just how awful everything else is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies