Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:24 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post

Personally, I would like to see kids left out of politics in general.
Then don't set them on the stage at the GOP convention, to receive a standing ovation...a foolish move, in a series of foolish moves made by a pathetic party.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Why is it parading when she appears with her kids and not when others do?

My guess is that at the time, she was happy with what they were choosing to do. I would imagine that she's less pleased now.

Personally, I would like to see kids left out of politics in general.
It's one thing to have your family with you. It's another to take them to multiple events, with their "boyfriend/fiance" and make big statements regarding their personal lives.

Step outside of politics and look at it this way. Your teen daughter becomes pregnant. Your neighbor/friend/family member tsk tsk's you all the time, telling you you're not raising your children right, telling you you should be teaching them abstinence and "family values". A few weeks later, you see their daughter pregnant. Now this acquaintance starts telling you your daughter should be married because that's the right thing to do, and that's what her daughter will do. A few weeks later, you find out her daughter is not getting married.

Would you not find this ironic and a little hypocritical?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Then don't set them on the stage at the GOP convention, to receive a standing ovation...a foolish move, in a series of foolish moves made by a pathetic party.
Both parties do that. It has become the norm.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Her daughter doesn't practice what Palin preaches. I don't know if Palin does or not.
Sarah Palin got herself pregnant before she got married, so I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It's one thing to have your family with you. It's another to take them to multiple events, with their "boyfriend/fiance" and make big statements regarding their personal lives.
You raise a good point on the making statements about their personal lives. I think that should be left out. This is purely speculative, but my guess is that if she had not made a statement, she would have been ridiculed for having a pregnant daughter anyway, and that by making a statement that they were getting married, she hoped to avoid some of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Step outside of politics and look at it this way. Your neighbor/friend/family members tsk tsk's you all the time, telling you you're not raising your children right, telling you you should be teaching them abstinence and "family values". A few weeks later, you see their daughter pregnant. Your daughter is pregnant as well. Now this acquaintance starts telling you your daughter should be married because that's the right thing to do, and that's what her daughter will do. A few weeks later, you find out her daughter is not getting married.

Would you not find this ironic and a little hypocritical?
Ironic and perhaps poetic justice - yes, hypocritical - no. To me, hypocritical is when you go against your own values. I would find it hypocritical if I found that this neighbor had an affair and had a child or knowingly allowed this behavior in the child. I can't call it hypocritical when she believes on thing and her child does another.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:35 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,100,992 times
This is pretty pointless thread.

The most it can be used for is to criticize the Palin's for something a large portion of the country is guilty of. Her daughter had sex before marraige, big surprise, most people do. They're splitting up, big surprise, half the married couples in the country do, why can't they? You can't use this to criticize all conservatives as hypocrites.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 AM

128 posts, read 362,596 times
Quote:
As far as the parading goes, should she have kept them in a closet in shame? Obama "paraded" his kids too. They all do.

The fact that a teenager did something against a parent's values is not new. That doesn't mean she condemns her child, and it doesn't mean she doesn't still hold the same values.

The story takes on a vindictive nature because people don't like her position on this issue.
How can you say that, seeing as Sarah and Todd did the exact same thing (i.e. got pregnant before they got married)? Based on the examples they've set, apparently Palin family-values decree that pregnancy outside of marriage is acceptable. Isn't it always the conservatives who say that we can only be judged by our actions; that we need to take personal responsibility and set a good example?

Old 03-12-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Cheapskate View Post
How can you say that, seeing as Sarah and Todd did the exact same thing (i.e. got pregnant before they got married)? Based on the examples they've set, apparently Palin family-values decree that pregnancy outside of marriage is acceptable. Isn't it always the conservatives who say that we can only be judged by our actions; that we need to take personal responsibility and set a good example?
I think it's quite possible that she has done things at an earlier stage of life that she thinks may not have been the best choice. I think most people have. Applying this standard would mean that we should assume that Obama thinks drug use is okay. I don't think he does and don't think he's a hypocrite when he works to stop drug use.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:53 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
I'm still chuckling in my grape nuts over this. Bristol has proven to be the most sane and articulate member of that family.

Can you just see all the hucksters trying to get Levi's story? And numbnuts is probably going to fall for it!!! Ok folks .. who will he sell his story to first? Who is willing to pay top dollar???

Levi can tend to his crack mom now ...

Old 03-12-2009, 01:55 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
I hope she pursues child support... I look down on anyone who runs away from their responsibilities as a parent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies