Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

I pprefer a government because I understand humanity and human nature. IMHO government is preferable to having to be armed at all times. Not all humans are nice people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I pprefer a government because I understand humanity and human nature. IMHO government is preferable to having to be armed at all times. Not all humans are nice people.
You need more understanding of government and the people who have run banana republics and totalitarian regimes. Then you'll understand the "humanity" behind it.

Since you live in America, of course you'd be this confident about government being held in check and being fundamentally stable (well, until a few years ago anyway).

Old 03-12-2009, 11:42 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Where is Mexico on firearm ownership for the law abiding and drug posession?

Aren't Libertarians lax on those?
Being a Libertarian, taxes are only a small part of it, we're also about personal freedom. If guns and drugs are illegal and there are religious aspects within the law, a society can never be Libertarian by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Being a Libertarian, taxes are only a small part of it, we're also about personal freedom. If guns and drugs are illegal and there are religious aspects within the law, a society can never be Libertarian by any stretch of the imagination.
Gubmint apologists don't see it that way. They just make the inference that mass killings = libertarianism at work, because government isn't stopping them. Doesn't matter they're corrupt or just apathetic.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:27 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Gubmint apologists don't see it that way. They just make the inference that mass killings = libertarianism at work, because government isn't stopping them. Doesn't matter they're corrupt or just apathetic.
And never mind the fact that the major cases of corporations gone terribly wrong can't hold a candle to major cases of government gone terribly wrong. What's worse, Enron or the Khmer Rouge? And hell, if Mexico represents a Libertarian utopia, I guess Pol Pot must represent the ideal leader in the eyes of liberals.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:08 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Libertarians are like evangelical Bible literalists - there's just no sane discussions with them!
Fair enough..

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah - kill the government - blah, blah, blah. Take your millions and move to Monaco if you don't like it here.
Damn hypocrite....

Old 03-12-2009, 06:01 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
Quote:
Because that's the unavoidable result of pure Libertarianism. Basically a "you're on your own" society where those with the education, ability, and means are able to take advantage of everyone else.
Libertarians don't take advantage of anyone. Where the heck did you come to that conclusion? If someone succeeds in any endeavor NEVER should they be forced to assist the scoundrels and slugs that didn't plan ahead.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Very bad example! First of all, Mexico is a Third World Country. If you want to talk about some laissez-faire places, Monaco and Isle of Man are some better examples. No income tax, no inheritance tax, no property tax and pro-landlord legislation. I invite you to visit Monte Carlo anytime and you will be amazed. Free market Economics is the way to go!

That's why the key to prosperity is strong morals plus economic freedom. Without strong morals, you have choas, as in Mexico. If we keep it up, we will end like them as well. Who wants to invest in a country where your money will be stolen? Those who do invest in 3rd world "libertarian" countries such as Mexico hire their own private security firms.

If Conservatives moved enmasse to Mexico, it would become the shining jewel of North America: low crime, low prices, low taxes, clean streets, and lots of jobs!

Google Singapore while you're at it -- they are a good example of jobs = strong morals plus economic freedom.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:52 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,309 times
Can only speak for myself, but as a libertarian I can think of at least 50 countries less authoritarian than Mexico.
The countries that represent the most libertarian ideals balancing both economic and social, I can think of.
1. Liechtenstein
2. Bahamas
3. Estonia
4. Canada
5. Iceland
6. Switzerland
7. Cyprus
8. Mauritius
9. Lithuania
10. Ireland
11. then The United States which has been slipping down the list the last couple of decades.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:00 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,137 times
Yes, I definitely think of Canada when I think libertarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies