Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:52 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Ahhh, not to disturb you with facts but does the use of the armed service during Little Rock, Kent State, Katrina, etc. etc. etc. even ring a bell with you? This is NOT something new at all. Nice try though.
Um...that was the national guard. This is the US Army. Nice try with the nice try though .

Even if you were right, that was an all out riot. The Army was never meant to stop a rifle wielding lunatic running in the streets occupied by other US citizens minding their own business.

It's sad to think people assume this is ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 12:02 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
National Guard? US Army? Lol, there is NO difference folks. Remeber what it says above the right hand pocket of a Gaurdsmans uniform.....US ARMY. Lol, the Guard IS the Army. They answer to the Feds first and the states second. For soldiers to be deployed to a small town after an incident like this is dropping a nuke on an anthill. It smacks of the Feds just drooling over the chance to deploy troops and start locking down on our rights. All in the name of "we are here to help". Every incident like this brings us a step closer to the Government making a bid to grab up all personal arms in the name of keeping order and "public good".All to the thunderous applause by those who say they value the Constitution (all exept the second ammendment that is). These same people who were smashing windows burning college campuses down, and throwing rocks and bottles at National Gaurdsmen who were there to "trample their right to expression".. Gotta appreciate the hypocracy, or is it irony?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:17 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Um...that was the national guard. This is the US Army. Nice try with the nice try though .

Even if you were right, that was an all out riot. The Army was never meant to stop a rifle wielding lunatic running in the streets occupied by other US citizens minding their own business.

It's sad to think people assume this is ok.
Boy you hit the nail on the head there. I guess some people (possibly it's because they live in NY, Detroit, or DC) are unable to see the difference between a riot or a hurricane and an isolated incident that happened in a TINY S Alabama town. Let me repeat, there was no riot!!!! The local Sheriff's department was not overwhelmed!! The incident was over in less than an hour when the perpetrator killed himself!! All the people involved knew each other and had known each other all their lives.

It is amazing to me that people are able to justify the US Army occuprying a small town (pop 2100) with guns drawn!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:29 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ft. Rucker is only 10 miles up the road.

And there are 8 National Guard Armories within 30 miles of Samson.

NVplumber, Yes as I have said the National Guard is the Army, however there is a difference. The National Guard answers to the President and the Governor while the US Army answers to the President. Explain to me how 5 guys standing there to be occupying? Also where are their guns drawn as you claim? The only weapons visible are their sidearms which are holstered not out. Stop lying

Old 03-12-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post

Explain to me how 5 guys standing there to be occupying?
Remember this is a TINY town. I believe you can see all of the commercial district in the picture. And who knows how many more of the residential area.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Remember this is a TINY town. I believe you can see all of the commercial district in the picture. And who knows how many more of the residential area.

Where are their guns drawn as you stated? Also the majority of the National Guardsmen LIVE in their town. So if these were Guardsmen they were most likely from this town or one around their. They are occupying a city which they reside in?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:48 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:

NVplumber, Yes as I have said the National Guard is the Army, however there is a difference. The National Guard answers to the President and the Governor while the US Army answers to the President. Explain to me how 5 guys standing there to be occupying? Also where are their guns drawn as you claim? The only weapons visible are their sidearms which are holstered not out. Stop lying
Lying? About what? I didn't say a bloody thing about weapons being evident. But since you mention it, yes, the ubiquitous Berreta M9's are in the holsters of the guy to the front and the one to the right in back. The other two's weapons are not visible, but if you look at their posture and know anything about firearms you will note that they appear to be holding carbines (no doubt M4's with collapsed stocks) using the standard issue multi position slings that are standard issue with this weapon. You can't see them though. So it's not a gimme, but a safe assumption. So whats with calling me a "liar". Can't say as I appreciate that much.. Ain't no call for that bub! Up until this post I said NOTHING about "occupying" or weapons in evidence. Mind explaining that?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lying? About what? I didn't say a bloody thing about weapons being evident. But since you mention it, yes, the ubiquitous Berreta M9's are in the holsters of the guy to the front and the one to the right in back. The other two's weapons are not visible, but if you look at their posture and know anything about firearms you will note that they appear to be holding carbines (no doubt M4's with collapsed stocks) using the standard issue multi position slings that are standard issue with this weapon. You can't see them though. So it's not a gimme, but a safe assumption. So whats with calling me a "liar". Can't say as I appreciate that much.. Ain't no call for that bub! Up until this post I said NOTHING about "occupying" or weapons in evidence. Mind explaining that?
You were right I misquoted you I was wrong their. I meant to quote VHM2507.

First, I was in the National Guard so I know what we use thanks though. Second, I look at the shadow, funny you don't see anything that looks like weapon on the solider on the left and you can clearly see the solider on the tops left arm by his side.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Where are their guns drawn as you stated? Also the majority of the National Guardsmen LIVE in their town. So if these were Guardsmen they were most likely from this town or one around their. They are occupying a city which they reside in?
Excuse me-- there is nothing to say that these were National Guard. In fact it was clearly stated in the caption that they were US Army from Fort Rucker no less. Some people are trying to justify this by saying that there was probably a mistake from Reuters, so now you defenders are running with it and saying that they were definitely National Guard and even their neighbors, there to protect them while they sleep. Wait a minute, show me the proof. I will agree with you that I was mistaken when I thought that they were carrying rifles. I went back and looked at the picture again and it appears that you are correct on that one.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Excuse me-- there is nothing to say that these were National Guard. In fact it was clearly stated in the caption that they were US Army from Fort Rucker no less. Some people are trying to justify this by saying that there was probably a mistake from Reuters, so now you defenders are running with it and saying that they were definitely National Guard and even their neighbors, there to protect them while they sleep. Wait a minute, show me the proof. I will agree with you that I was mistaken when I thought that they were carrying rifles. I went back and looked at the picture again and it appears that you are correct on that one.

Tell me which picture shows National Guardsmen and which show Active Army Soldiers.

http://www.arcent.army.mil/cflcc_today/2008/february/images/feb15_20/19_05.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies