Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:23 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times

Advertisements

This whole thread is, if you'll pardon a pun, off-base. Pro athletes make the money they do because the market supports it. If there wasn't a market for sports, they wouldn't make that kind of money--plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 07:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
i think i made too much money for what i did, so i redeemed myself i retired.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:25 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Pro athletes make the money they do because the market supports it. If there wasn't a market for sports, they wouldn't make that kind of money--plain and simple.
Exactly! Thanks for bringing the discussion back on track

Old 03-13-2009, 07:33 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
Quote:
This whole thread is, if you'll pardon a pun, off-base. Pro athletes make the money they do because the market supports it. If there wasn't a market for sports, they wouldn't make that kind of money--plain and simple.
AND that just goes to prove that the market is out of their mind. Teachers for one are paid scraps for forming the minds of our children. I have NO respect for someone who is bound up in pro sports. Grow up, life isn't a game, its real and its expensive. Money should be spent on something important, not so adults can play games to show off who has the bigger muscles.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:39 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,725,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
AND that just goes to prove that the market is out of their mind. Teachers for one are paid scraps for forming the minds of our children. I have NO respect for someone who is bound up in pro sports. Grow up, life isn't a game, its real and its expensive. Money should be spent on something important, not so adults can play games to show off who has the bigger muscles.
sports are so overrated people should boycott sports it's up to the public..

Old 03-13-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I like sports. I like going to sporting events. It is entertainment.

And, I must disagree with you a little: Life IS like a game. You need to know how to play it too. Working together - as a team. Good Sportsmanship. Etc

Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Quote:
CEO's, Investors, Inventors, Manufacturers all rely on this. If you are a manufacturer and you came out with a brand new no competition product you set the price. Only until competition steps in does the customer start to get the most for their money...

Now if I were looking on a macro level at what happened in the financial crisis what entity has the sole monopoly of life and death over the country. The same one that has unlimited funds..... Monopolies are looked down upon except in this case.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Quote:
Heil mein neu fuhrer.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:07 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,775,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Keep in mind - Alex Rodriquez does not get all that money.

His agent gets between 25 to 33% of the contract amount.

Then their is the personal staff he has to pay

The marketing company

His lawyers

His accountants

Then, there are the income taxes he will owe

And a whole bunch of other people

He actually provides quite a few jobs with his contract.
Ohh but he does get all that money. He got so much of it he needed a herd of accountants to carry it in wheelbarrels. See, it was this entitled left wing fiscal conservative wackaloons job to cost cut on perpetual austerity budget and not kill my crew trying (only because killing them costs $$$, no implied morality as terms of employment).

Clearly the problem is that too much money is burdening him with so many accountants, lawyers, and... a whole bunch of other people? He's a celebrity. Entourages & groupies are gratis anytime he likes. Slash that bill right down to zero. He shouldn't trust anyone with his money anyway. Toss him a free perk- A wallet.

Marketing--- everyone already likes him, so we don't need to bother with that anymore. 0.

personal staff? that's his personal business, not my business. CLICK.

Agent--- ok, lets look at this sensibly. Alex being paid X sum to play with balls in public. agent wants 25% of x sum, but what does agent do to earn that $$$? Does he play with his balls too? I'm confused. Does he hold his sports drink for alex? Couldn't we just throw in a $10 cup holder as perk and call it a day? What occupies his time in this profession of agent? What value does he contribute to the balls or the playing of balls? I just don't see it.

So I think Alex's x sum should be 40k per season, because he does have most of the year off, plus he's still making more than most teachers working 3/4 of the year, not including late nights grading papers, getting shoes puked on, or immature parents hassling them. If he wants to charitably contribute to his friend the agent for holding his balls, I'm a wackaloon liberal, I won't judge.

Cost savings will revert directly to reducing ticket prices and hey-- we've got some to spare... how about we have a special kids free hot dog. Make it a family day out. I heard it was costing $65 for dad and son to go see ball playing in yankee stadium. That doesn't sound right to me. How about $15 & free dog filling all those seats up. They'll come back often if they can afford it.

Really, they could go to the state park for free and just toss a $5 ball around with far more quality time + cardio benefits for both-- obesity rates being what they are... I'm practically saving their lives if they stay out of the ball park.
But celebrity is a bigger hero than dad, and even though we'd be paying him more than a country doctor, I'd like to see alex live in a decent place and invest that $$ in brains for his future so lets be generous plus allow extra discretionary $$ for his male companion friend to hold his balls. $75k it is, but only if you can carry it yourself.

Additional Bonus- any endorsements you can sell-- that's all yours, no % dibs claimed on your carcass. Wheaties wants to pay you 200 mill, I guess they've got to charge $20 for a box of cereal to pay your silly self. What a hero, stealing food from kids.

What's that? Agent says its an introduction fee? OK, here's a gift certificate for you two to get better acquainted at dinner. Have fun!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:12 PM

Obviously, you do not like professional baseball (sports). Fortunately, millions of Americans do. They pay to go see and cheer on, their teams.

The athletes get paid to play ball - and to bring in fans. If Alex gets 25 mil, he might bring in 40 million (I don't know - just for discussions sake).

Sports are here to stay. Baseball is our "National Pass time"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies