Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You may ass-u-me whatever you wish - it does not alter the FACT that NO employer is obligated to provide their employee with all the necessary income for the employees standard of living. Nor, is that employer responsible for, nor obligated to provide, health insurance.

The above paragraph is indisputable.
That may be true but what does it say about the standard of living in America?

The Land of the Free is becoming a slave pit!

You do not know the struggles of the people whom you speak for.

Empathy seems to be vacant in too many people today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 09:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Greatday, If you worked at Walmart, would you be able to "cut" the same check for your health insurance?
I have great confidence in Greatdays ability to leave his imaginary job at Walmart and find a better job if he needs/wants benefits. Thats a right that we all have and those who work at WalMart choose not to exercise that right.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:31 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I have great confidence in Greatdays ability to leave his imaginary job at Walmart and find a better job if he needs/wants benefits. Thats a right that we all have and those who work at WalMart choose not to exercise that right.
Wow! You are right about one thing........."Imaginary!"

Old 03-14-2009, 09:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
That may be true but what does it say about the standard of living in America?
It says employers are not responsible to maintain your standard of income. It is YOUR responsibility to seek employment that will.

Quote:
The Land of the Free is becoming a slave pit!
Hyberbole

Quote:
You do not know the struggles of the people whom you speak for.
Yes I do

Old 03-14-2009, 09:36 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,132 times
Quote:
You may ass-u-me whatever you wish - it does not alter the FACT that NO employer is obligated to provide their employee with all the necessary income for the employees standard of living. Nor, is that employer responsible for, nor obligated to provide, health insurance.

The above paragraph is indisputable.
Yes, it is not the responsibility of an employer to do those things. But if it doesn't, then it should forfeit its corporate citizenship. If it can't be a good citizen, then it shouldn't be ANY citizen. You seem to be saying that business can and should do whatever it wants. It could, perhaps, choose to not even pay its employees. After all, an employer's sole purpose is to make profit for its owners and shareholders, right? It owes nothing to the country in which it resides. It has no need for such things as morality or fairness. That's the free market, unencumbered by regulation and governmental interference. It's also the description of a prison planet, a hell where lifeforms are simply parts to be used and discarded, a place where there's no need to concern oneself with waste and pollution, working conditions, or accountability.

I believe in regulation and governmental "interference" because I KNOW that businesses and corporations would create the nightmare scenario I paint above in a heartbeat. I'm all for doing everything possible to keep that from happening. I would insist that there be a balance in the system, one where the profit motive is sufficiently suppressed while the work itself is made worth a human being's effort. Noting that life is NOT just about money, employer's should provide something to insure that work doesn't fall short of some pleasurable quality of life.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Wow! You are right about one thing........."Imaginary!"
I note how you didnt contribute a single thing of value in your posting or dispute my posting.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Yes, it is not the responsibility of an employer to do those things. But if it doesn't, then it should forfeit its corporate citizenship.
Once again - there is no requirement of any kind to provide any benefits.

Now - many employers do provide some sort of benefits, including health insurance being made available - at no cost or where the employee contributes some or all the premium.

It is a business decision - if someone applies for employment, they should inquire about and be clear about what is, and is not, provided. No one is forcing the employee to work at a particular company. If the employee does not like what the employer offers - then they don't take the job.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,788,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Can you please fill me in just WHY someone working at Wal-Mart in a non-managerial position should get benefits?

Gimme a friggin' break. What next, should all the fry guys at McDonald's get bennies too?
I think the Snake is somewhat cold-hearted in his assessment here, but I do agree everyone has to watch out and live a lifestyle that they can afford. For example, I do not think that anyone who is at LEAST solidly middle class ( a combined income of about 80k/yr or more) should have children, because thay cannot afford to give them what they need down the line. Lets face it, a college education is as vital to getting a decent job as a HS diploma was 40-50 years ago.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:53 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,006,750 times
Quote:
Speaking for myself - I am not only "refusing" SS and Medicare - I withdrew from the system years ago and can never recieve it.
What? Are you a convicted felon?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
What? Are you a convicted felon?
Nope. I withdrew from it. Have not paid into SS for over 3 decades
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies