Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:28 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
My water is heated by solar panels.
Exploiting your states natural resources for personal gain??? Stealing sunshine all for your greedy self??? you're just so... so conservative republican! hhahahaahaa

I read an article a few years ago about a boston couple who installed them. I was suspicious that it wouldn't work in northern lattitudes, but it worked for them just fine. Energy wise it captures more efficiently, because much is lost in conversion processes of solar panels dc to ac, or electric converted to btu's. I'm not a science geek, just a fan of them. I've got pals I can pick the brains of, and sometimes inspire like a muse.

Mine aren't installed just yet, but they're incorporated into my design scheme. Any bumps in the road or advice you can offer for best practices?

Hark! the minute men of 2009... Inflation is coming! Inflation is coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 01:29 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
I think it's rather humorous that I'm just doing what my parents (depression kids) taught me... turn off the lights when you leave a room; keep the temp down in the winter and wear a sweater and socks, after all, it is winter; use quilts.

As I remodel my 100 year old house, I insulate the outside walls; buy energy efficient windows; use storm windows as well.

harborlady, the solar panels are installed in my house in Germany. I haven't seen the sun in 4 months and have hot water for my daily shower. I hope to have them installed in the states when I move back. You get your money back on the investment in no time.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-14-2009 at 01:37 PM..

Old 03-14-2009, 01:41 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
We recycle everything that can be recycled and buy recycled products, also buy used when possible, to save resources and money.
Got new windows last fall, will get new insulation this year. New appliances are all water and energy saving and of course use lights only in rooms we are in and turn of any appliance if we leave the room. We buy locally grown food as much as possible and also get our food from a CSA, which saves energy.
Have been vegetarian/vegan for almost 25 years now, one of the best things one can do for the environment.
I use public transportation, walk or bike when possible and use 1 tank of gas a month at the MOST. Right now we have 2 cars, but once one of them dies, we will not replace it and invest in an electric bicycle or scooter. Also use fabric bags instead of plastic and don't use disposable stuff. I rather buy good quality stuff and things that last longer than cheap junk that falls apart quickly that needs to be replaced thereby using more energy and resources.
I am sure there is more, but that is what comes to mind right now....

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-14-2009, 01:47 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
I would LOVE to convert my home to an alternative energy source -- living in a manufactured home as I do (about 1400 sq. ft.), it would make a whole lot of sense. But everything I've read about solar makes it seem like you need a whopping big setup and expensive conversion for not a whole lot of power. I've looked at honking big panels required to operate just a few appliances. Is this the way it is?

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. No way can I afford a $30,000 conversion and I'm bummed that it doesn't seem like the technology has advanced much to make it feasible for homeowners.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:49 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
1. the OP clearly requested no politics and there you are doing what you do.

2. wealthy is evil?

3. is energy efficiency a poverty mentality, a wise use of resources, or an infringment upon your right to use all you want without restriction of any sort (moral, financial, inheritance issues)?

4.-- see question 3 as your new thread, and quit abusing this one TYVM.
I'll start with 2 thanks!

Hipocrisy and fraud are evil!

People will starve and die because of this lie. Not here, but in the third world.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:51 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That's probably my fault for putting this thread into POC. However I was curious to see what folks where doing what and if someone had some ideas that someone else didn't have and could share. An added benefit though is to see so many diametrically opposed people politically wise living the same types of lives and doing in general the same types of things.

I'm ashamed of myself for generalizing so many people in my little world..... This thread is a reminder not to get too caught up in politics for myself but It didn't start that way.
No I think this thread definately belongs in this poli forum, just to show how we can all achieve similar goals from dissimilar reasoning or methods. Please see faux bashing of chielie hehehehee. Glad I took you off ignore btw, because I'm all for being productive, and a keen interest in hearing all sides.

Other tips on saving heating/cooling costs that are low cost and more passive...
mtn states my granny taught me leave the windows open and night, close them & pull blinds in morning. Cool is retained like closing a fridge door, and lasts till just past the peak of midday heat. Humid states feel cooler when dehumidifiers are used, even if you don't have 4 ton AC unit.

I turn down the heat to 50 at night and use an electric mattress warmer on low setting purchased for about $30. The whole house and entire contents do not need my personal body temp requirements, but don't be so cheap the pipes freeze.

Heating and cooling equations are all about btu's having to span great distances which gets very costly. Retaining temps is one strategy. Modifying your behavior or needs is another (ex midday heat- what if heading to your basement rec room was your habit?). One way or another directing energy efficiently is the name of the game (on many levels of life).

Heat pump systems are only as good as they are maintained. They can save people lots from all I've read, but dissatisfaction with them is orientated around improper installation and ignorance of maint.

I'm fascinated by geothermal harvesting of btu's, and think that's a very promising avenue for rural individuals to invest.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
This is an excellant thread. There is much to learn here. I've been looking at LPG instant water heaters (natural gas isn't available here). I have a lot of reading to do but, it seems that they would be a good choice for us.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:36 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I get a kick out of all the goofballs that want an electric car that only goes 50 to 100 miles before requiring a charge.... But they have no idea that it requires a power plant somewhere to charge it. But they don't want to build coal plants, drill for natural Gas, set up new nuclear power plants or flood a valley to make a dam to produce hydroelectric power.
The Mayor of Albuquerque supports the refrigerated air conditioning for homes over the older electrically-efficient swamp coolers. His concern is water conservation but I'm willing to bet he would be against a water-eating nuclear plant, or even a coal-powered plant, in Benalillio County that will be necessary to pull all the AC compressors when everyone converts. Politicians are short-sighted critters.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:48 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Please disregard parties. What are you doing that typically wouldn't be done in the average home or workplace to help energy consumption.

I'll start:

Every bulb (over 120) is a CFL of 09-23 watts. 120 HVAC unit's in normal operating condition (preventative maintenance performed) ranges. Upgrading 120 units with energy star rated appliances (conversion). Energy conservation basic training. Upgraded HVAC equipment. 120 unit recycling program. all mercury recycled through the big box stores. timers and motion sensors on all lights where applicable. Water heater turned down as low as possible. Heat only using heat pump in vacants. I would like to hear, no matter how big or small, your contributions to helping the cause. Thanks...
Didn't have kids.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:48 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
If anyone is interested, Totes has cloth bags for $5 that fold into 4" x 4" squares and fit in your purse, backpack, etc.
They fit a good deal of stuff.

I've been using mine for years & have to repair 3 of them as soon as I pull out my sewing machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies