Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 05:59 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

We bought a new home the other year, one built to Colorado's "Built Green" standards, or higher. All air ducts permanently sealed at every joint (i.e., no duct tape, which dries out and falls off after a few years); furnaces and water heater draw combustion air from outside the house; double E windows; extra insulation; storm doors; xeriscaped lawn to use less water, etc. Will use CFLs to replace standard bulbs in 40+ can lights as originals burn out.

Have joined the Colorado Renewable Energy Society to get info on the topic, with an eye to the future and on investing.

May get involved with President Obama's "Organizing for America" effort in the area of energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 06:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
May I suggest that you consider bookmarking this site:

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

Lot's of interesting and valuable information - they also link to the "Energy Star" ratings for appliances

Old 03-14-2009, 06:01 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
For those who aren't aware of it, there's a movement called Free-cycling, where folks can alert people as to things they need and things they're offering to give away for free. I'm signed up with my local Free-cycling group and it's really cool! You'd be amazed by the perfectly good things people give away!

Here's the website so you can see if there are groups in your area!
The Freecycle Network
Freecycle is great, and started in Tucson, Arizona. We just gave away a Kenmore Progressive vacuum today, and another vacuum is going on Monday, as we couldn't sell them, even though they work fine.

We've gotten things we've needed from Freecycle, ourselves. Food, sheets, plants - all kinds of stuff. It's a nice way to keep stuff out of the landfills.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:03 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Default Just some interesting things for the future

Quote:
If we use fuel to get our power we are living on our capital - this method is barbarous
Tesla http://thinkexist.com/quotes/nikola_tesla/

Quote:
I have harnessed the cosmic rays and caused them to operate a motive device. Cosmic ray investigation is a subject that is very close to me. I was the first to discover these rays and I naturally feel toward them as I would toward my own flesh and blood. I have advanced a theory of the cosmic rays and at every step of my investigations I have found it completely justified.

Brooklyn Eagle July 10, 1932 Nikola Tesla

Quote:
By 1897, the War of the Currents between AC and DC or between Westinghouse and Edison continued unabated. In 1895, Tesla's laboratory in New York City was totally destroyed by fire. Half a lifetime of priceless inventions were destroyed. Tesla usually worked through the night, but that particular night he was not in his shop, and miraculously escaped death.
Huge mergers took place between J. P. Morgan and Rockefeller controlled companies like Thomson-Houston and Edison General Electric to form the present day General Electric Company. This new General Electric Company tried to take over Westinghouse and force them to abandon AC. They insisted that Westinghouse STOP paying royalties to Tesla:
Nikola Tesla - the man who electrified the world!!

Quote:
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”
Tesla
http://thinkexist.com/quotes/nikola_tesla/

Read more of Nikola Tesla's patents if you want to see what's truly possible.
http://www.pbs.org/tesla/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTiiblwwLPk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXfWb...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgkeP...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lExTq...eature=related

(This might shed some light on why it's a little disturbing to me to see GE in the White House...politic sides aside)

And for anyone that thinks that Tesla's ideas are crazy and inconceivable... let's not forget everything around you is a spawn of his ideas for the most part.

http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/dept/Courses/E-24/E-24Projects/Florey1.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
Two days after Tesla's death in 1943, the FBI
raided his residence in the Hotel New Yorker. Tesla's notes were believed to contain a
description for the construction of the death ray.
One of the primary reasons, as stated in the internal FBI documents for the raid
was that the FBI was concerned that Tesla's nephew, Sava Kosanovic, would give the notes
to the Soviets.
Quote:
We may never know for certain,
but fear stemming from this development lead to Reagan calling for the Strategic
Defense Initiative (SDI) or “Star Wars” as it was called.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 03-14-2009 at 06:38 PM..

Old 03-14-2009, 06:26 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Freecycle is great, and started in Tucson, Arizona. We just gave away a Kenmore Progressive vacuum today, and another vacuum is going on Monday, as we couldn't sell them, even though they work fine.

We've gotten things we've needed from Freecycle, ourselves. Food, sheets, plants - all kinds of stuff. It's a nice way to keep stuff out of the landfills.
The only problem I'm having is that you have to claim the items FAST in most cases. And, being disabled, I'm just not! I have to find someone to help me pick up items and that takes a bit of time. Any suggestions about overcoming that?

Another great idea is shopping and donating to the Habitat for Humanity RE-Stores. You can buy GREAT items for renovating your home at extremely cheap prices. I recently bought pull knobs for my kitchen cabinets at 50 cents each and a brand new chandelier still in the box for $10.

Stores, contractors, and private people donate to the Re-Stores and the proceeds are used to build Habitat for Humanity homes! They have furniture, appliances, tile, lighting fixtures, windows, doors, plumbing products, even tubs, toilets, sinks, you name it!

To see if there's a Habitat Re-Store near you, check here:
Habitat ReStores -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l

Old 03-14-2009, 06:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
I will say that, there are, and never will be, any of those CFL bulbs in my home. The only thing I use them for now is target practice - hit those suckers with a .30 cal round and the sure do explode!

I have a stockpile of the incandescent bulbs to last 3, maybe 4, generations of my family.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:31 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,746 times
I live close to work.

If everyone would do that, we'd have some serious conservation going on.

The rest of the stuff we do is common sense stuff that everyone should do, just to leave things a little better than they found them.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:31 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
I burn all our garbage in the woodstove to help heat the house, conserve on lp. There is a lot of btu's in one bag of garbage.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:27 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,393 times
CFLs throughout the house, ceiling fans, gas appliances, recycle dryer heat, NO TELEVISION for last 20 months, just bought a laptop, drive an 82 Volvo (27-28 mpg), use the radiator-type space heaters, waterbed. Ho-hum, do what I can for myself, not particularly worried about the rest of the world.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:40 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,439 times
Don't forget to ask people about travel plans as well, like if they have cut back on flying in jet planes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies