Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:34 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why are there 21,922,000 white Americans living in poverty? Is it because failed liberal policies? Is it due to a sense of victimization? Is it because white organizations have convinced these people that they can't succeed? Is it a matter of their rural dialect which keeps them from being taken seriously? Just what seems to be the problem?

And, why is it that in urban American in Real Americaâ„¢ poverty rates are higher?
Because whites make up the majority of people in this country perhaps?

And by the numbers you list,are under represented it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 08:18 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Poverty is too complex to attribute it to who a person is. Where a person lives is also an indicator of how likely a person is to live in poverty. If you live in Appalachia, or on an Indian Reservation, or in Detroit you have more of a chance of living in poverty. I have noticed how wealth and economic opportunity shifts from one geographic area to another during boom periods. Poor people are the least likely people to move to find employment. The .com,steel,gold rush, plantations,industrial, cattle,shipping indusrty all took place in different geographic regions. If a person is poor and white or Black they prolly should move away from poor people.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post

[The OP wants people to think 44% of whites live in poverty.
By writing, "Why are 44% of all people living in poverty white?"

Perhaps, I should have written something about the percentage of people who just can't read a simple sentence??

No Eeeee22895, I wasn't implying that the majority of whites live in poverty, that's just plain silly on so many levels.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:20 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
By writing, "Why are 44% of all people living in poverty white?"

Perhaps, I should have written something about the percentage of people who just can't read a simple sentence??

No Eeeee22895, I wasn't implying that the majority of whites live in poverty, that's just plain silly on so many levels.
They understand and comprehend exactly what your op question is. When they don't want to answer the question, they just play the semantics game. Its a great way to deflect and throw the thread off course.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
They understand and comprehend exactly what your op question is. When they don't want to answer the question, they just play the semantics game. Its a great way to deflect and throw the thread off course.
Yeah, I know and it isn't unexpected.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:26 PM

Why are 66% of people living in poverty NOT white?

That would seem to be odd considering the percentage of the population that is not white....

Old 03-16-2009, 12:28 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Poverty is too complex to attribute it to who a person is. Where a person lives is also an indicator of how likely a person is to live in poverty. If you live in Appalachia, or on an Indian Reservation, or in Detroit you have more of a chance of living in poverty. I have noticed how wealth and economic opportunity shifts from one geographic area to another during boom periods. Poor people are the least likely people to move to find employment. The .com,steel,gold rush, plantations,industrial, cattle,shipping indusrty all took place in different geographic regions. If a person is poor and white or Black they prolly should move away from poor people.
I think the examples you're referring have more to do with holding on tight to tradition or homestead. Pick one- keep your 3rd generation homestead but have no job, or move away to some foriegn culture where you'll be equally poor or worse socially ostracized. Some do venture out and never go back. Maybe they aren't as attached to their culture vs economic viability?

Like that cruel joke about ethiopians-- they're starving... move to where the food is. Logic tells me that's correct. Hard cold bean counter reality says that's correct. But when you've got roots that go very deeply into the soil, entwined within a community that has a whole other set of roots holding you right back, I think it's nearly impossible. So my heart and instinct says it's not correct. There's a part of them that cannot leave. Just my impression, can't speak for them. I've been adventurous the moment my feet hit the floor. I've lived nomadically early on. It's harder for me to see what holds them, but like gravity, sense it's there. Salt of the earth. I admire that quality even if it means their crops won't yield as much as they'd hope. Family and home matter more than money, which I guess comes at all financial costs at times.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why are 66% of people living in poverty NOT white?

That would seem to be odd considering the percentage of the population that is not white....
Well that seems to be a well worn topic around these parts, so perhaps if we actually talk about poverty, free from discussions about racism, and the effect of government programs that are alleged devised for the sole purpose of fostering a sense of entitlement and victimization we might, just might, come to some idea about why poverty exist.

Whatcha think? Or, better yet... are you too scared to?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:43 PM

Well........ first off define 'poverty' and 'poor' as it pertains to Americans.

Is someone owning their own car,several TVs and their own house 'poor' or living in 'poverty'?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well........ first off define 'poverty' and 'poor' as it pertains to Americans.

Is someone owning their own car,several TVs and their own house 'poor' or living in 'poverty'?
Ah, more games....

2008 Federal Poverty Guidelines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies