Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:44 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
This may be a radical idea, but MAYBE WE DON'T NEED SO MUCH STUFF! People's homes are stuffed full of junk already. Perhaps it would be BETTER to have a few well-made, more expensive pairs of shoes than 30 junky cheap ill-fitting Payless imported pairs.
So with all the other tax increases you want everyone in America to pay more for their goods even when proven that tariffs decrease income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
How do yo folks argue that the rich people in America are greedy because they want to make more money and then at the same time complain because those people making $1 a day are taking all "our" jobs? Pure hypocritical nonsense. So basically, me, me, me, me. The new American patriotism. You folks are going to get us into WWIII from your ignorance.
The ones making $1 a day DO NOT GET OUR JOBS. They continue to languish in poverty, starvation and despair while the upper classes in their countries get what used to be "our jobs" so they can buy new pairs of jeans and shoes every payday and don't have to ask their parents for pocket money when they go out clubbing nights. In India, 2% of the population (this includes the beneficiaries of offshore outsourced jobs) run 80% of the economy. I don't think they need even MORE and at the expense of Americans besides how horribly they treat the poor of their own country (no welfare, no nothing, I have seen mothers and babies begging on the streets in India routinely when I was there).

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 03-19-2009 at 08:06 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
So with all the other tax increases you want everyone in America to pay more for their goods even when proven that tariffs decrease income?
What if we just bought less, but things that lasted longer and were of better quality?

As for tariffs, explain that one please.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
In the end the coming markets are in china and india. We don't have any moeny we owe so much and we cewrtainly don't have to have those products like refigerators;washign machines while those conutries do.The good shoes are made in europe.
I have been to India. There is a very TINY market for appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers. Any appliance company who thinks they should rely on that market is run by idiots. Wanna know why? THEY HAVE HUMAN MACHINES THAT DO IT MUCH CHEAPER. You can have a servant over there to do everything for you 7 days a week, 12 hours a day for around the equivalent of US$25 per month. Yes, per MONTH for all those days and hours of backbreaking work. It's even better than slavery because you don't have to feed, clothe and shelter them. They go home to their slums after scrubbing, cooking and washing for you all day!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:53 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,771 times
Quote:
How do yo folks argue that the rich people in America are greedy because they want to make more money and then at the same time complain because those people making $1 a day are taking all "our" jobs? Pure hypocritical nonsense. So basically, me, me, me, me. The new American patriotism. You folks are going to get us into WWIII from your ignorance.
"Those people" did not TAKE our jobs, the greedy rich b*atards gave them away. No one is blaming Indian workers. The outrage is directed exactly where it belongs and there is nothing hypocritical about it.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:57 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
What if we just bought less, but things that lasted longer and were of better quality?

Reminds me of something that I bought last year that was made in China. My niece saw a backscratcher in a dollar store and asked me to buy it for her. As we were leaving the store, she yelled "ouch" and when I looked at the backscratcher I saw that it was full of splinters. I went back to pick another one and they were all the same, full of splinters. What a perfect example of the crap that we are accepting from other countries that do not practice fair trade with us. Can you imagine using that thing on your back? I have made a big effort to not purchase junk from China and everyone should do the same. I have never entered a WalMart and never will. They have gotten filthy rich off of selling garbage from China and I'd like to shove those backscratchers down their throats or any other orifice...splinters and all.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 03-19-2009 at 08:14 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
"Those people" did not TAKE our jobs, the greedy rich b*atards gave them away. No one is blaming Indian workers. The outrage is directed exactly where it belongs and there is nothing hypocritical about it.
Yes, just like in Mexico and their greedy rich. If they paid their people a decent wage as opposed to slave labor wages, we would not be dealing with the illegal Mexicans here. Every nation has their elite pig gluttons, which is kind of an oxymoron. Those are the Marie Antoinettes of the world that deserve her fate.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Reminds me of something that I bought last year that was made in China. My niece saw a backscratcher in a dollar store and asked me to buy it for her. As we were leaving the store, she yelled "ouch" and when I looked at the backscratcher I saw that it was full of splinters. I went back to pick another one and they were all the same, full of splinters. What a perfect example of the crap that we are accepting from other countries that do not practice fair trade with us. Can you imagine using that thing on your back? I have made a big effort to not purchase junk from China and everyone should do the same. I have never entered a WalMart and never will. They have gotten filthy rich off of selling garbage from China and I'd like to shove those backscratchers down their throats or any other orrifice...splinters and all.
I wouldn't scratch my DOG with one of those splintery things! Considering how China ROUTINELY sells us dangerous and poisonous goods that they blatantly and shamelessly LIE to us about (lead paint on babies' toys, poisoned wheat products for pet food, poisonous chemicals in toothpaste, dangerous pharmaceuticals, etc., etc., etc. a hundred times over) its a TOTAL SIN that we even continue to trade with them. However, we have really painted ourselves into a corner what with all the DEBT of ours they have bought.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Those are the Marie Antoinettes of the world that deserve her fate.
What's the matter? Aren't you patiently waiting for your CAKE (while you forego BREAD) that the elites are going to serve up once they have succeeded in draining all the money out of the rest of us?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:

Read the links I have already provided. The proof is all right there... by professional that do this stuff for a living. Britannica, The State Dept., Economicshelp.org...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies