Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Name one country that doesn't put itself first, and perhaps you would have a point. You just might notice that some are very pragmatic when it comes to free markets (China is an excellent example), others like us want to get stuck with an ideology, give up all hope and surrender to the global ways. Not healthy.
Oh I agree. Don't get me wrong. Some country is impeding our goods or services, a response is justified and expected.

Was big news a few years ago when we slapped tariffs on Canadian softwood as they were dumping. The Canucks yowled about protectionism and Bush was evil and so forth. You had Canadian professors on Jim Lehrer News Hour and the BBC screaming- yes screaming about how unjust Bush was.

The WTO just ruled in our favor.

I can only assume you and Oberon were firmly behind Dubya on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
You might be suprised. Exactly how do you define a 'liberal'? In concrete terms, not vague generalities.
Well from what I have seen on this board most of the "left-thinking" posters hate walmart and make an effort to purchase American products... LIKE CARS! So again... common ground with the most unlikely of people.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Oh I agree. Don't get me wrong. Some country is impeding our goods or services, a response is justified and expected.

Was big news a few years ago when we slapped tariffs on Canadian softwood as they were dumping. The Canucks yowled about protectionism and Bush was evil and so forth. You had Canadian professors on Jim Lehrer News Hour and the BBC screaming- yes screaming about how unjust Bush was.

The WTO just ruled in our favor.

I can only assume you and Oberon were firmly behind Dubya on that one.
And I was, one of the very few things that Bush did well (perhaps one of those times when Cheney wasn't running the show).

Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And I was, one of the very few things that Bush did well (perhaps one of those times when Cheney wasn't running the show).

LOL! Fair enough.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:03 AM

715 posts, read 2,086,576 times
Bout Fukcing time!!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Well from what I have seen on this board most of the "left-thinking" posters hate walmart and make an effort to purchase American products... LIKE CARS! So again... common ground with the most unlikely of people.
Wal-Mart is one of the most 'American' companies out there - it is a retailer, buys products from American companies who have set up shop in China. Likewise the most 'American' car companies choose to pay themselves exorbitant salaries and bonuses and attempt to make up for it by outsourcing the jobs, whereas the Japanese companies create jobs in America and pay themselves a fraction of the CEOs here. So go figure - which is the 'liberal' and 'conservative' stance?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
So you think we should continue to let our manufacturing and IT jobs continue to evaporate, as they steadily have been, for the past 8 years?
It's in part, due to the consumers that these things have happened. When Dell sells yet another "cheap" computer, people go and buy tons of them, while other companies that advertise domestic based sales and support do not see sales grow nearly as fast.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:14 AM
f_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
If you think the ejection of Nike, Reebok, New Balance, etc, would not create the demand that would lead to the establishment new players, you are kidding yourself.
Why would you want to eject New Balance? They are one of the few companies making running shoes in the US. In order to compete with Nike, Reebok, etc... they have to have a lower end line that is made overseas, otherwise they wouldn't be in business.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Why would you want to eject New Balance? They are one of the few companies making running shoes in the US. In order to compete with Nike, Reebok, etc... they have to have a lower end line that is made overseas, otherwise they wouldn't be in business.

Well, if New Balance didnt have to compete with foreign shoes, they would be welcome to keep their US made products here, and compete with other US produced shoes. Since New Balance is already fairly established, they just might end up the new shoe giant in this country.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:51 PM
f_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Well, if New Balance didnt have to compete with foreign shoes, they would be welcome to keep their US made products here, and compete with other US produced shoes. Since New Balance is already fairly established, they just might end up the new shoe giant in this country.
What do you think would happen if the average price for shoes was 2-3x more than it is now? The US New Balance shoes are about $70-140, while the typical shoes people buy at Payless are $20-30. Payless has over 4000 locations in the US, so that is a pretty good estimate on what people pay for shoes now. Will people pay $70+? Most likely the rate of buying would drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies