Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:42 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Buddha is NOT a god. He is a role model.

Of course they don't. They believe their Jesus did those things, and last time I checked, Jesus was a man. Even Christians say he was a man. Also, reincarnation is not necessarily in conflict with Christian beliefs. Many times I've heard Christians say in regard to "souls" that they are often "recycled" so to speak, coming back to earth to live another life in another person. Heck, even Jesus spoke of reincarnation. In fact, Jesus himself identified John the Baptist as the reincarnation of Elijah the prophet.
NO, He did NOT. You are obviously misreading the Scriptures, or your knowledge of the Scriptures is faulty.

The passage you are apparently referring to is when Jesus asked the Apostles, "Who do the people say that I am?" They answered, "some say John the Baptist or Elijah reincarnated." (The Jews of that time believed in reincarnation.) Then, Jesus asked them, "And who do you say that I am?" And Peter answered, "You are the Messiah; the son of the Living God." Jesus said he was correct and that the Holy Spirit revealed this to Peter.

Please don't claim things about the faith that simply aren't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,314 times
Quote:
Buddha is NOT a god. He is a role model.

Of course they don't. They believe their Jesus did those things, and last time I checked, Jesus was a man. Even Christians say he was a man. Also, reincarnation is not necessarily in conflict with Christian beliefs. Many times I've heard Christians say in regard to "souls" that they are often "recycled" so to speak, coming back to earth to live another life in another person. Heck, even Jesus spoke of reincarnation. In fact, Jesus himself identified John the Baptist as the reincarnation of Elijah the prophet.
There is no "God" in Buddhism.
Personal mortality is followed by reincarnations after better or worse "rebirths" depending upon merit attained in previous lives.
Buddhism's goal in the attainment of Nirvana a state where cravings, desires and even "egos" cease and where, because of the associated merit, one can hope top be freed from the endless chain of rebirths into suffering lives.

There is a personal God in Christianity.
Personal mortality is followed by judgement by God.
Christianity's goal in the attainment of eternmal fellowship with God. A reward that is seen as being only available to the "Righteous".

The Bodhisattva’s role of savior is thus entirely different than that of Christ’s. The Bodhisattva has no concern with sin in an ultimate sense, only with the end of suffering. He has no concept of God’s wrath against sin or the need for a propitiatory atonement. He has no belief in an infinite personal God who created men and women in His image. He has no belief in a loving God who freely forgives sinners. His only sacrifice is his postponement of entering nirvana so that he can help others find Buddhist enlightenment. Having achieved self-perfection, the Bodhisattva could freely enter nirvana at death. Instead, he chooses to reincarnate again to help others attain their own self-perfection and nirvana more quickly.

Thus, those who argue there is an essential similarity between Buddhist and Christian concepts of savior are wrong. In fact, at their core, Buddhism and Christianity are irreconcilable, as far removed as the East and West. Indeed, virtually every major Christian doctrine is denied in Buddhism and vice versa. We would therefore suggest that a merging of the two traditions results in a disservice to both.

For their part, Buddhists have long recognized the differences between the two faiths. The knowledgeable Buddhist is aware that the doctrines and teachings of biblical Christianity are an enemy rather than a friend, for Christian faith openly teaches those things which Buddhists reject as mere ignorance and/or as spiritual hindrances; further Christianity openly opposes those things which Buddhism endorses an essential for genuine enlightenment.

For example, Christianity is interwoven with the monotheistic grandeur of an infinite, personal God (Jn. 17:3; Isa. 43:10-11, 44:6); Buddhism is agnostic and practically speaking, atheistic (or in later form, polytheistic).

In Christianity, its central teaching involves the absolute necessity for belief in Jesus Christ as personal Savior from sin (Jn. 14:6; Acts 4:12; I Tim. 2:5-6); Buddhism has no Savior from sin and even in the Mahayana tradition, as we have seen, the savior concepts are quite dissimilar.

These are just a few things that are different, need I say more.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:47 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
NO, He did NOT. You are obviously misreading the Scriptures, or your knowledge of the Scriptures is faulty.

The passage you are apparently referring to is when Jesus asked the Apostles, "Who do the people say that I am?" They answered, "some say John the Baptist or Elijah reincarnated." (The Jews of that time believed in reincarnation.) Then, Jesus asked them, "And who do you say that I am?" And Peter answered, "You are the Messiah; the son of the Living God." Jesus said he was correct and that the Holy Spirit revealed this to Peter.

I agee

Old 03-17-2009, 11:52 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,225 times
Quote:

Nope, not what I'm referring to. Here's what I'm talking about:

But he answered them and said, "Elijah indeed is to come and will restore all things. But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also shall the Son of Man suffer at their hand."
Then the disciples understood that he had spoken of John the Baptist." (Matt. 17:10-13)

And then also:

And he [John the Baptist] will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah. (Luke 1:17)

Both of these very clearly refer to John the Baptist being Elijah returned. So yes, Jesus and the bible both mention and accept reincarnation.

Oh, and my knowledge of your scriptures is probably a lot less "faulty" overall than yours, which is typical for someone like me.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Nope, not what I'm referring to. Here's what I'm talking about:

But he answered them and said, "Elijah indeed is to come and will restore all things. But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also shall the Son of Man suffer at their hand."
Then the disciples understood that he had spoken of John the Baptist." (Matt. 17:10-13)

And then also:

And he [John the Baptist] will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah. (Luke 1:17)

Both of these very clearly refer to John the Baptist being Elijah returned. So yes, Jesus and the bible both mention and accept reincarnation.

Oh, and my knowledge of your scriptures is probably a lot less "faulty" overall than yours, which is typical for someone like me.
Uh, HELLO, do you lack reading comprehension? Jesus is clearly saying that John the Baptist and Elijah were prophets who came and were not heeded, just as Jesus would not be recognized and would also suffer at the hands of men. Jesus is prophesizing His impending death, just as the other prophets died. The "in the spirit" part doesn't mean actual "spirits." It means that John was sent as a prophet, just as Elijah was.

Reincarnation is NOT compatible with Christian faith. See, we don't have to live over and over again until we get it right. The life, death, and resurrection of Our Lord conquerred death for us and we have the free will to choose where we spend eternity. I think Reincarnation is a VERY PUNITIVE belief.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:26 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,225 times
Quote:
Uh, HELLO, do you lack reading comprehension? Jesus is clearly saying that John the Baptist and Elijah were prophets who came and were not heeded, just as Jesus would not be recognized and would also suffer at the hands of men. Jesus is prophesizing His impending death, just as the other prophets died. The "in the spirit" part doesn't mean actual "spirits." It means that John was sent as a prophet, just as Elijah was.

Reincarnation is NOT compatible with Christian faith. See, we don't have to live over and over again until we get it right. The life, death, and resurrection of Our Lord conquerred death for us and we have the free will to choose where we spend eternity. I think Reincarnation is a VERY PUNITIVE belief.
Okay, fine, whatever you say. Most Christians only choose to believe what they want to believe out of the bible anyway, so I'm not surprised you're all affluffer about having uncomfortable details pointed out.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
More death, destruction and torture has been done in the name of religion than anything else. It's not the religion that dictates atrocoties, it is the pea-brained bible toting hypocrites that hide behind their interpretations of the bible's fables.
Yes, just look at Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Mao Tse dung (sp?), et all. Christians all, weren't they? (Sarcasm intended)

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-17-2009 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Add comment about sarcasm.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Okay, fine, whatever you say. Most Christians only choose to believe what they want to believe out of the bible anyway, so I'm not surprised you're all affluffer about having uncomfortable details pointed out.
Nice try. If I'm "affluffer," it's because I have advanced degrees in English and Literature and seeing such proud displays of incomprehension as you've exhibited here is frustrating. I'm sorry the education system has failed you. (There is no such word as "affluffer," btw.)

Then, there is the credibility factor. You have none. In previous posts, you were misrepresenting the teachings of a religion to which you don't subscribe. I wouldn't deign to tell a Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Sikkh, etc. what he or she "believes" because I do not share the belief and I would have no credibility. It's presumptuous. So, please don't speak to Christian beliefs because you are clearly out of your element.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, just look at Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Mao Tse dung (sp?), et all. Christians all, weren't they?
As the great-granddaughter of immigrants who fled Communism and religious persecution in Eastern Europe, your comments are repulsive. If it makes you feel smarter, grander, or freer to pretend that these despots were actually mainstream Christians who upheld the faith, then I feel sorry for you. But my ancestors suffered at their hands and had to flee what sick minds wrought. It was NOT the fault of the Church.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
As the great-granddaughter of immigrants who fled Communism and religious persecution in Eastern Europe, your comments are repulsive. If it makes you feel smarter, grander, or freer to pretend that these despots were actually mainstream Christians who upheld the faith, then I feel sorry for you. But my ancestors suffered at their hands and had to flee what sick minds wrought. It was NOT the fault of the Church.
I think you misunderstood my sarcasm. None of the above were Christians, to the best of my knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies