Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these is the best symbol of the liberal elite?
Starbucks 14 22.58%
Panera bread 0 0%
Gourmet exotic Asian restaurants (as opposed to Chinese carry out) 9 14.52%
Target 4 6.45%
Volvos 9 14.52%
Whole Foods/Trader Joes 26 41.94%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:44 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times

Advertisements

Haha. That's great. Only problem is that the Dixie Chicks stood up against the very people Dowd is targeting when it was extremely unpopular to stand against Bush. They shouldn't be dragged down into that. They were heroes who endured death threats from the conservative crowd for calling Bush's war out when no one else had the balls to.

To the larger point, it is fascinating how much people will talk about working hard and being a good family person and all that, then disparage anyone who does.

In this global economy, it takes more than swinging a hammer to work hard. It takes education and intelligence and ingenuity and creativity to thrive. It also takes an awareness of the impact one's life has on the larger world. As this thread attests, they attack and mock anyone who actually engages on that global scale.

It is just fear of a world changing into something they don't understand. That sounds harsh, but the last election was really about that. The fear in those Palin rallies was palpable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 11:48 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Right wingers use Grey Poup too. But I buy it at Wal-mart.
Why all the pride at shopping at Walmart? I don't get it. If they sourced more American products, like they used to, I could see it. But, as it is, we'd all be better off shuttering the walmarts and shopping as locally as possible.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:50 PM

^^
You crazy liberal! American pride is about waving the flag as hard as you can, buying as much as you can for as cheap as possible, and screwing the notion of creating jobs that sustain the local economy, sustain American industry, and sustain ecological health.

U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:57 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Haha. That's great. Only problem is that the Dixie Chicks stood up against the very people Dowd is targeting when it was extremely unpopular to stand against Bush. They shouldn't be dragged down into that. They were heroes who endured death threats from the conservative crowd for calling Bush's war out when no one else had the balls to.
That's the point - the Dixie Chicks were enemies in the eyes of the folks who use phrases like "liberal elite," simply because they disagreed with their homegrown "hero."

Quote:
To the larger point, it is fascinating how much people will talk about working hard and being a good family person and all that, then disparage anyone who does.

In this global economy, it takes more than swinging a hammer to work hard. It takes education and intelligence and ingenuity and creativity to thrive. It also takes an awareness of the impact one's life has on the larger world. As this thread attests, they attack and mock anyone who actually engages on that global scale.
Indeed. Sadly, some can't accept that there are different kinds of work that are equally important. A similar antipathy exists between stay-at-home and career mothers - the point is not who is better or more important, the point is that we can choose our work in this industrialized world that relies on - as you said - more than physical labor alone. Instead of embracing the opportunity for more and more people to find niches that fit their gifts more tightly than ever, anyone who diverges is punished and attacked.

Like the small-town kid who leaves home to find his path and succeeds. When he returns home, he is chastised for lifting himself above his "raising."

Quote:
It is just fear of a world changing into something they don't understand. That sounds harsh, but the last election was really about that. The fear in those Palin rallies was palpable.
Thank goodness fear did not determine the outcome of the election

Last edited by Mearth; 03-18-2009 at 12:43 AM..

Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post

Thank goodness fear did not determine the outcome of the election

I think it did, along with a good bit of ignorance and stupidity.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:33 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,323 times
Quote:
I think it did, along with a good bit of ignorance and stupidity.
Just once, I would like to see an intelligent Obama dissenter.

I know they exist, but they're in hiding on C-D.

I think many of us are up for a lively debate, but back-and-forth insults are something entirely different.

I argue regularly with my hippie, anarchist, vegetarian friend, but we remain friends because we debate with respect and substance. Anytime a debate like that is attempted here, it devolves.

Whenever I see a thread that already has at least 5 pages to it, I click to the last page thinking, "Let's see who called the other side an a-hole first."

What we need is more thinking, less reacting.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:52 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Why all the pride at shopping at Walmart? I don't get it. If they sourced more American products, like they used to, I could see it. But, as it is, we'd all be better off shuttering the walmarts and shopping as locally as possible.
Walmart gives me more for my money, certainly way better than the mom-and-pop predator stores. As a bonus they have friendly employees and no unions. I suspect the latter is more than a little responsible for the former.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:02 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Walmart gives me more for my money, certainly way better than the mom-and-pop predator stores. As a bonus they have friendly employees and no unions. I suspect the latter is more than a little responsible for the former.
And they give that "more for the money" by exporting as much of your dollar out of your community as possible. It goes to Bentonville, AR or to Shanghai or to anywhere BUT your community.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Mom and pop "predator" stores? Wow. That's a first.

The cost of Wal-Mart in terms of environmental damage and money flowing out of communities makes it the most expensive way to live. Problem is, your tax hating values are just forcing that debt onto future tax payers to clean up.

Calling Obama supporters "ignorant" and "stupid" is not only a personal attack worthy of an infraction, it is statistically incorrect. Let's use more intelligent discourse in the future if you wish to be taken seriously.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:51 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
LMAO....friendly people with no Unions?....how about broke people who have to use public aid and STILL work because they have no unions and Wal-Mart makes ALL of the money....you are right where you need to be,in the State of Confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies