Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:19 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Sorry but I have my facts straight. AIG first bailout was on Sept 17th 2008 and was a cash infusion by the Fed based upon a 1932 provision. TARP wasn't enacted until October. As I read the Dodd amendment to TARP, it affects only those who receive money under it's provisions.
On Timothy Geithner, Obama's Tax cheating Treasury Secretary,

In March 2008, he arranged the rescue and sale of Bear Stearns;[9][17] in the same year, he is believed to have played a pivotal role in both the decision to bail out AIG as well as the government decision not to save Lehman Brothers from bankruptcy.

Timothy F. Geithner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry, not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 05:31 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,782 times
Ovcatto

Did you miss it when the government gave them money two more times?

Quote:
From White House press secretary Robert Gibbs' briefing two weeks ago, when $30 billion in additional funds were announced for AIG. AIG had at this point designated $165 million in retention bonuses for officers of the Financial Products subsidiary, as well as an additional $121.5 million in executive bonuses.

TAPPER: AIG, is the administration confident that it, that it knows what happened to the tens of billions of dollars previously given to AIG?

GIBBS: Is it confident -- I'm sorry?
Political Punch: Two Weeks Ago: White House Says It's Confident It Knows What Happened to Previous AIG Billions

So I'm not sure why you don't grasp the concept?

Old 03-17-2009, 07:18 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Ovcatto

Did you miss it when the government gave them money two more times?

Political Punch: Two Weeks Ago: White House Says It's Confident It Knows What Happened to Previous AIG Billions

So I'm not sure why you don't grasp the concept?
Her are some more facts for the Obamatrons. The liberal can deny all they want but the Democrats have majority of the blame for the mess we are in.

Congress played major role in AIG bonus mess

Changes in laws on CEO pay, derivatives helped create current turmoil

In fact, it was a law approved by Congress in 2000 that allowed companies to place tens of trillions of dollars of these risky credit default swap bets.

After the 1998 collapse of Long Term Capital Management, a giant hedge fund that pioneered the use of derivatives, the Fed engineered a rescue to prevent the unwinding of risky bets from spreading to the larger financial system. That brought calls for tighter regulation of derivatives, including a push for greater derivatives regulation at the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, led by a former Wall Street attorney named Brooksley Born.

But strong opposition to the proposal from then-Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan and senior Clinton administration officials sank the idea. On Dec. 21, 2000, President Clinton signed into law the Commodity Futures Modernization Act, which further eased restrictions on derivatives like credit default swaps.

Congress played major role in AIG mess - Economy in Turmoil- msnbc.com

Old 03-17-2009, 08:21 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,731,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Hmm who would have thought a senator that has been mixed up in a few shady deals as of late has found himself in the middle of another blunder!

I'm sure this had nothing to do with the wording at all!

We don't have term limits why?

Amid AIG Furor, Dodd Tries to Undo Bonus Protections in the 'Dodd Amendment' Rules - FOXBusiness.com (http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/finance/dodd-cracks-aig---time/ - broken link)
You can blame Dodd but through some kind of bizarre tangled web of 'logic' the democrats around here will blame Bush one way or another.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:24 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Obama may be grandstanding about AIG’s bonuses now, but it’s worth noting that Obama himself is the second biggest benefactor of AIG political contributions. Second only to Senator Chris Dodd, who is quietly trying to tip-toe away from legislation he inserted into Obama’s “stimulus” spending spree that protected AIG’s bonuses.

Senator Barack Obama received a $101,332 bonus from American International Group in the form of political contributions according to Opensecrets.org. The two biggest Congressional recipients of bonuses from the A.I.G. are - Senators Chris Dodd and Senator Barack Obama.

The A.I.G. Financial Products affiliate of A.I.G. gave out $136,928, the most of any AIG affiliate, in the 2008 cycle. I would note that A.I.G.?s financial products division is the unit that wrote trillions of dollars? worth of credit-default swaps and “misjudged” the risk.

After throwing all this money around, it is perhaps little wonder that the politicians (including Dodd and Obama himself) jumped on board with a bailout for them. And it’s no wonder they’re thrashing about so hard trying to distance themselves now.

What a mess........

Old 03-18-2009, 12:26 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Please - let's not forget Barney Frank in this ... "mess".

And note that little is being said about how much money Rep Franks life partner made in the last few years from Fannie Mae
Who Barney the Banking Queen? say it isn't so.........

Frank opposed giving the Bush administration the right to approve or disapprove business activities that “could pose risk to the taxpayers.” He told the Post he worried the Treasury Department “would sacrifice activities that are good for consumers in the name of lowering the companies’ market risks.”

Just a month before, Frank had aggressively thwarted reform efforts by the Bush administration. He told The New York Times on Sept. 11, 2003, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac’s problems were “exaggerated,” a gross miscalculation some five years later with costs estimated to be in the hundreds of billions.

“These two entities – Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac – are not facing any kind of financial crisis,” Frank said to the Times. “The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing.”

Frank has also reaped campaign contribution benefits from Fannie Mae and its counterpart Freddie Mac. According a front page story in the Sept. 19, 2008, Investor’s Business Daily by Terry Jones, Frank has received $40,100 in campaign cash over the past two decades from the GSEs.

Are Libs still buying this bunch of crooks antics?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:35 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm going to see if I can find the same story from a different network.
Here's something.

Bonuses allowed by stimulus bill - CNN.com

Old 03-18-2009, 04:26 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
this part is truly pathetic:
In an interview with CNN, Dodd denied inserting that exemption at the 11th hour, and insisted he doesn't know how it got there......

americans need to realize that all of this bonus outrage is designed to cover up the fact that the bulk of the money is going to bail out foreign entities. (as listed by amounts in the business forum).

Old 03-18-2009, 06:31 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,303,667 times
Obama Received a $101,332 Bonus from AIG

Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,303,667 times
TurboTax Tiny Tim Geithner is hilariously stupid! He'll just deduct what is owed taxpayers from the next bailout!

"Treasury will deduct that amount from the $30 billion in government assistance that will soon go to the company."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies