Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:49 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The average IQ of a sub-Saharan African is 85. That's the primary reason. Period. End of story.
That's a very simplistic and intellectually devoid way of looking at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The masses must be empowered.
What do you mean by "empowering the masses?" If you mean things like providing education, ensuring basic healthcare services, and having sound economic policies then I agree with you. Having all those things still won't stop the brain drain though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 06:16 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
That's a very simplistic and intellectually devoid way of looking at it.

What do you mean by "empowering the masses?" If you mean things like providing education, ensuring basic healthcare services, and having sound economic policies then I agree with you. Having all those things still won't stop the brain drain though.
What I mean by empowering the masses is doing not only that, but providing more incentives to invest in Africa, to provide more opportunities for those who want to be in the universities, building up the university system even more. What would stop a brain-drain?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 AM

There are those who say IQ is a factor. Well, who made the IQ tests? The persons who make the IQ tests make the standards for the IQ tests. You cannot standardize tests, unless people study for those tests. The tests are biased because they are based on what certain populations are most likely to be exposed to. The things Europeans and East Asians are exposed to in their daily environment are going to be far different from what Africans and South Asians are exposed to. You can't standardize a test because not everyone is coming from the same standard. So if anyone is using the IQ tests to suggest that Africans are somehow "inferior", then I am not buying it.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
There are those who say IQ is a factor. Well, who made the IQ tests? The persons who make the IQ tests make the standards for the IQ tests. You cannot standardize tests, unless people study for those tests. The tests are biased because they are based on what certain populations are most likely to be exposed to. The things Europeans and East Asians are exposed to in their daily environment are going to be far different from what Africans and South Asians are exposed to. You can't standardize a test because not everyone is coming from the same standard. So if anyone is using the IQ tests to suggest that Africans are somehow "inferior", then I am not buying it.
well if the whole iq thing was made by a german man wouldn't germany be on top year in and year out? italy leads the chart at 102 (as of 2006). well, globally the lead is a tie btwn hong kong and singapore at 108. they didn't create the whole iq thing as far as i know

Old 02-18-2011, 02:35 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
African opportunities catch investors' eyes

The Economist magazine found that six of the world's 10 fastest-growing economies over the past decade were in sub-Saharan Africa, with growth rates rivalling those in Asia. Over the next five years, African growth in percentage terms is likely to surpass Asia's.

African opportunities catch investors' eyes - The Globe and Mail

Ten years ago, Chinese investments in Africa were estimated at $10 billion (Sh813.4 billion). The investments are likely to keep rising and are expected to hit the $114 billion mark in 2011.

http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/business/...owth-5524.html

Old 02-19-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
African opportunities catch investors' eyes

The Economist magazine found that six of the world's 10 fastest-growing economies over the past decade were in sub-Saharan Africa, with growth rates rivalling those in Asia. Over the next five years, African growth in percentage terms is likely to surpass Asia's.

African opportunities catch investors' eyes - The Globe and Mail

Ten years ago, Chinese investments in Africa were estimated at $10 billion (Sh813.4 billion). The investments are likely to keep rising and are expected to hit the $114 billion mark in 2011.

Capital FM Kenya: China firing up African growth
Let's hope African nations manage these investments wisely. Our cellphones contain minerals from the Congo. See the below quote from raisehopeforcongo dot org

Quote:
Profit from the mineral trade is one of the main motives for armed groups on all sides of the conflict in eastern Congo - the deadliest since World War II. Armed groups earn hundreds of millions of dollars per year by trading four main minerals: the ores that produce tin, tantalum, tungsten, and gold. This money enables the militias to purchase large numbers of weapons and continue their campaign of brutal violence against civilians, with some of the worst abuses occurring in mining areas. The majority of these minerals eventually wind up in electronic devices such as cell phones, portable music players, and computers. Given the lack of a transparent minerals supply chain, American consumers have no way to ensure that their purchases are not financing armed groups that regularly commit atrocities, including mass rape.
Source: Conflict Minerals | RAISE Hope for Congo

Many of us here have heard of blood diamonds. Well, this would be blood electronics.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
well if the whole iq thing was made by a german man wouldn't germany be on top year in and year out? italy leads the chart at 102 (as of 2006). well, globally the lead is a tie btwn hong kong and singapore at 108. they didn't create the whole iq thing as far as i know
Well, perhaps culture has something to do with that. Like I said before, your environment has alot to do with it. Your culture can play a part too. People in one culture will be exposed to things that people in other cultures won't be exposed to. Part of why I argue there is alot of bias in IQ tests.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Well, perhaps culture has something to do with that. Like I said before, your environment has alot to do with it. Your culture can play a part too. People in one culture will be exposed to things that people in other cultures won't be exposed to. Part of why I argue there is alot of bias in IQ tests.
then i'd say generally speaking it's the successful cultures on this globe that should be emulated (i'd like to make an exception for america lol). environments and culture need to be conducive to real learning and outside-the-box ideas and independent thinking.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
then i'd say generally speaking it's the successful cultures on this globe that should be emulated (i'd like to make an exception for america lol). environments and culture need to be conducive to real learning and outside-the-box ideas and independent thinking.
I don't know how to feel about that. The last time there was any kind of "culture emulation", it was under colonialism, and it was basically force-fed. There was no choice involved. I will make a contrast of this.

Japan was relatively poor and had problems before the Meiji Restoration. For a long time, foreigners were not allowed in. During the Meiji Restoration, Japan made the CHOICE to change and do things differently. For the nations on the African continent, there was NO CHOICE involved. Japan never was colonised. It later asked "what will work for us to make us more powerful". For many of these nations, however, there was no choice to incorporate new ways of doing things. It was by force.

There are some people who would argue that in order for the African nations to become more successful, an "African solution" should be found. The thing is, I don't know what that solution would be. All I know is that if the different ethnic groups formed into nations, there would be about 453 nations or more, with different languages and cultures. The question is "What solution is going to work for the Africa continent, for all of the people living there?"

Old 02-23-2011, 09:54 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
I don't know how to feel about that. The last time there was any kind of "culture emulation", it was under colonialism, and it was basically force-fed. There was no choice involved. I will make a contrast of this.

Japan was relatively poor and had problems before the Meiji Restoration. For a long time, foreigners were not allowed in. During the Meiji Restoration, Japan made the CHOICE to change and do things differently. For the nations on the African continent, there was NO CHOICE involved. Japan never was colonised. It later asked "what will work for us to make us more powerful". For many of these nations, however, there was no choice to incorporate new ways of doing things. It was by force.

There are some people who would argue that in order for the African nations to become more successful, an "African solution" should be found. The thing is, I don't know what that solution would be. All I know is that if the different ethnic groups formed into nations, there would be about 453 nations or more, with different languages and cultures. The question is "What solution is going to work for the Africa continent, for all of the people living there?"
If you have done any research on what is going on politically, economically and socially I would say let the African people figure it out for themselves. Right now there is tremendous poverty in Africa but there is also tremendous growth and the place has better long term growth potential than any other region on the planet, which is why investment dollars of continued to flow into the region. THE SMART MONEY ALWAYS GETS THERE FIRST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies