Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:51 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times

Advertisements

Fox News, Drudge Report, Rush Limbaugh All Wrong on Sen. Chris Dodd on AIG Bonuses

"Senator Dodd's original executive compensation amendment adopted by the Senate did not include an exemption for existing contracts that provided for these types of bonuses,'' she said. "Because of negotiations with the Treasury Department and the bill conferees, several modifications were made, including adding the exemption, to ensure that some bonus restrictions would be included in the final stimulus bill. Though not a conferee, Senator Dodd insisted that the final version include a provision to require the Treasury Department to review past bonuses. At the same time, Senator Dodd supported legislation by Senator Wyden that would tax the bonuses so that taxpayers could recoup some of this money; unfortunately, that provision was removed from the stimulus bill in conference. Senator Dodd was completely unaware of these AIG bonuses until he learned of them in the past few days; to suggest that the bonuses affecting AIG had any effect on Senator Dodd's action is categorically false."

Media Matters Says Fox News, Drudge Report, Rush Limbaugh All Wrong on Sen. Chris Dodd on AIG Bonuses - Capitol Watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 01:36 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
Yet many on the right who post on C-D will remember the terms, "Dodd", "bailout", "bonus" and "restriction", and conflate them into the story that Fox News has fed them. They're still spreading the story that "ACORN helped steal the election through voter fraud".

Of course they'll now flame me saying I'm misinformed because they assume I only read the NYT and watch MSNBC.

golfgod

Old 03-18-2009, 01:58 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Yet many on the right who post on C-D will remember the terms, "Dodd", "bailout", "bonus" and "restriction", and conflate them into the story that Fox News has fed them. They're still spreading the story that "ACORN helped steal the election through voter fraud".

Of course they'll now flame me saying I'm misinformed because they assume I only read the NYT and watch MSNBC.

golfgod
Well let's review yours "ONLY" sources that you proudly boast are the NYT and MSNBC.

Well, NYT was just about belly up until it was bailed out by Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim. Slim gave NYT 250 million dollars.

Looks like Obama will get good press on legalizing the illegals.

Next is MSNBC. Do you know who owns them? GE! Who is going to get all the energy contracts from the Stimulus bill? GE! Who is the CEO of GE? Jeff Immelt. Who is Jeff Immelt? He is the one who ran GE into the ground but he is also the one who Obama appointed to his Economic Recovery Advisory Board. So do you think Obama guaranteed himself good coverage from MSNBC for him and his goon squad?

So as you can see, you have very reliable resources! Good for you for selecting such unbiased media sources!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:04 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
You might want to change the title of this thread. Who's the source of the mysterious exemption, and who's responsible for scapegoating Dodd? None other than Obama's administration/Geithner.

"There is a major push underway -- engineered by Obama's Treasury officials, enabled by a mindless media, and amplified by the right-wing press -- to blame Chris Dodd for the AIG bonus payments. But it was Tim Geithner and Larry Summers who openly criticized Dodd's proposal at the time and insisted that those limitations should apply only to future compensation contracts, not ones that already existed. The exemption for already existing compensation agreements -- the exact provision that is now protecting the AIG bonus payments -- was inserted at the White House's insistence and over Dodd's objections. ...Dodd was the one fighting against the White House in order to apply the prohibition to all bonus payments, i.e., to make the compensation limits retroactive as well as prospective. ...It was Obama officials, not Dodd, who demanded that already-vested bonus payments be exempted."
The dishonest "Blame Dodd" scheme from Treasury officials - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Old 03-18-2009, 02:04 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post

golfgod
I dont need rush limbaugh or fox news to tell me bailouts are against the constitution and that government has no business in spending money they dont have.

If it's Bush or Obama or the crazy congress they are all wrong.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:10 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I dont need rush limbaugh or fox news to tell me bailouts are against the constitution and that government has no business in spending money they dont have.

If it's Bush or Obama or the crazy congress they are all wrong.
where does the constitution so state?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:32 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,207,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
where does the constitution so state?
I'd like to know too. Drum roll please...

Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
I'd like to know too. Drum roll please...

Oh I'm sure there are LOTS of things you'd like to know.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:35 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Talking surprise surprise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Fox News, Drudge Report, Rush Limbaugh All Wrong on Sen. Chris Dodd on AIG Bonuses

"Senator Dodd's original executive compensation amendment adopted by the Senate did not include an exemption for existing contracts that provided for these types of bonuses,'' she said. "Because of negotiations with the Treasury Department and the bill conferees, several modifications were made, including adding the exemption, to ensure that some bonus restrictions would be included in the final stimulus bill. Though not a conferee, Senator Dodd insisted that the final version include a provision to require the Treasury Department to review past bonuses. At the same time, Senator Dodd supported legislation by Senator Wyden that would tax the bonuses so that taxpayers could recoup some of this money; unfortunately, that provision was removed from the stimulus bill in conference. Senator Dodd was completely unaware of these AIG bonuses until he learned of them in the past few days; to suggest that the bonuses affecting AIG had any effect on Senator Dodd's action is categorically false."

Media Matters Says Fox News, Drudge Report, Rush Limbaugh All Wrong on Sen. Chris Dodd on AIG Bonuses - Capitol Watch

Well, whaddya know?

The radical right mouthpieces were full of it again.

[[MOD CUT/hotlinking]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-18-2009 at 06:30 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Well, whaddya know?

The radical right mouthpieces were full of it again.

You're right. It was actually Obama's BFFs Geithner and Summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies