Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:30 PM

554 posts, read 2,503,253 times

Advertisements

I believe the U.S. has come a very far way since the Civil Rights Movement. However, segregation is still an issue, and it doesn't exactly mean race. It's also economics.

So, do you think America is more segregated economically, socially, or other? Please specify for other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 11:44 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,436,929 times
I think we are still divided economically, most areas I been too and lived in are very diverse racially. There are alot of very wealthy areas that mostly white where I live and they are gated communties where most of the NYC populaiton came down to retire. They are safe beautiful areas and ones we can't afford even thought we make great income, not enough to get into those. Wish we could. The rest of the areas are not so great, they are mixed but they are falling apart. It is a community of the haves and have nots, would not recommend it to anyone.

They talk alot bout building affordable homes here but as soon as they do, the rich areas get upset and they build in the lesser desireable areas and yet the homes are over 200 grand! Go figure. You either live in the slums here or your living well in an elitest community, can't wait to move outta here too.

There are some other races in these gated communities but very far and few between...its mainly rich NYC retired CEOS and doctors.

Next time, we will be much more careful where we relocate, the rest of the area is very high crime and rather ugly.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:46 AM

1,247 posts, read 928,287 times
It's always about economics. Class warfare has been going on for centuries. Racism is a red herring.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:34 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,484,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
It's always about economics. Class warfare has been going on for centuries. Racism is a red herring.

So there were at times service stations that featured men's, women's ,and 'colored' rest rooms because of economics?

You couldn't sit at a lunch counter as a person of color with $ in your pocket because of economics?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:39 AM

1,247 posts, read 928,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So there were at times service stations that featured men's, women's ,and 'colored' rest rooms because of economics?

You couldn't sit at a lunch counter as a person of color with $ in your pocket because of economics?
Does that happen today?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:45 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,484,569 times
Quote:
Does that happen today?
I wouldn't doubt more subtle thngs do but you mentioned class warfare, always economics, has been going on for centuries. I was only trying to point out it has been about some factors other than economics in the recent past.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,136,631 times
Point of fact, a black male can get arrested more easily in any neighbourhood than a white male without cause.

And in NYC, the Apple of my Eye, a black male frequently can't get a taxicab in many neighbours--upscale or down-home.

That was true in 1965; it is true today! Ask Danny Glover!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:15 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,436,929 times
But if a white man gets arrested, he has no NAACP to back him up...I know this by experience...I know of man ...he was beaten to a pulp by the police and sent to the hospital and left to die (almost did) and no one cared, if he been black, he would of had help...not always blacks who suffer today...maybe it was that way long ago, not always the case today.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,136,631 times
True--but perhaps whites need their own NAACP.

Everyone these days needs an advocate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
But if a white man gets arrested, he has no NAACP to back him up...I know this by experience...I know of man ...he was beaten to a pulp by the police and sent to the hospital and left to die (almost did) and no one cared, if he been black, he would of had help...not always blacks who suffer today...maybe it was that way long ago, not always the case today.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:34 AM

73,097 posts, read 62,737,535 times
Quote:
It is not just economics. Economics plays a big role. With that said, economics and race seem to be tied together. How many minorities make enough income in proportion to whites(not to say that there aren't any) to get into the gated communities? Not that many. The further down in income a place is, most likely there are more minorities living there, although there are exceptions, such as areas that are nearly all white or all minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies