Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:09 AM

923 posts, read 3,506,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Exactly.

And this thread should be in the Politics subforum.
And You are NOT My Mindreader!!!
I do NOT know the answer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 05:46 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,475,081 times
Retract the claws Delasalle! You posed the question. Don't get so freaking postal! Then purr up to Cosmic because of his statements.

Personally, I have wondered exactly what the diversity seekers were seeking. I think the question was please explain diversity. There more be more than one explanation and you could ask those seeking diveristy to explain what specifically THEY are seeking. Then POUNCE!!!! sic em!

Old 03-25-2007, 06:47 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,737,082 times
OK, I live in a rural area, where last year we had a huge problem in our local HS that police were brought in by large groups, ont unusual in the city, but our HS is in the middle of farm country. The problem...diversity issues. It seems that the rural bred, farm boys (and some girls) whose parents have grown up in a 100% while neighborhooh where no outsiders ever wandered, were now going to school with a samll number of kids who had moved from N.Y. or N.J. Some of these kids were white, a much smaller number was black, or jewish. Well, things got a little ugly, nothing I doubt that you would see in some schools every day, but our school took it very seriously, so as to 'nip it in the bud'.
Since I am not prejudiced...diversity would mean to me...that the stubborn locals (please note, not all are this way!) would just accept human beings as human beings. The group that this aggression was targeted at were not low lifes for you to fear your life, they were just very normal kids from very normal, hard working families, looking to move to the country. I have come accross some of the most backward, prejudiced people here in the country. My daughter had a friend who could not come to her birthday party because their were a bare few black families in our development of 4,600 homes!!!!
Her family owns a auto repair business and they don't service black people.
Diversity to me, would mean to eliminate all these backward idiots.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:21 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,042,363 times
seeking "diversity" is a feel-good liberal phrase. its like "free-speech" is only free, if they agree with you, otherwise, its hate-speech"

say a hammer was thrown from one individual, to another, during an arguement, the one throwing the hammer, that really hurt the other would be charged with mulitple crimes.
no matter if the thrower was black, white, yellow, or green,

take the same scenario above, but instead of a hammer, one is throwing racial slurs, why is it ONLY a hate crime, when its white-to black (or others races) why isnt a hate crime, when the same slur is thrown within the same race,,if its so "violating, and demeaning"

i see democrat robert byrd, former kkk member, say the "n" word on tv, without the liberal press saying a word, if it was a republican, the press would go nuts, quite the double-standard, since 94% of the press is liberal-democrat

hillary clinton, made a racist comment about middle-easterners, working at gas stations,,,,met with only laughter ,,thru the press, if a republican said, that, he'd be forced out of office,,

i just wish the press would be fair, they seem to be blatently cheering for one team, the democrats.

(im an independent, not owned by either party)

Old 03-25-2007, 07:35 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,062,238 times
I sure wish I could dissect and understand what others say, but up until now I have not been given that ability.

I suspect, but do not know what people mean when they ask for diversity. I ask for more clarity, and question them farther and hope they expound more completely.

When I myself speak of diversity I mean multi-racial, multi-cultural.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:04 AM

476 posts, read 1,131,867 times
Default If you don't understand...

....what something means, start by looking it up.

Merriam Webster's Dictionary defines diversity as:

"the condition of being diverse : VARIETY; especially : the inclusion of diverse people (as people of different races or cultures) in a group or organization"

I think that's pretty accurate. Just because the word is politicized in popular culture, doesn't eclipse its simple meaning.
-Variety-

Instead of iceberg lettuce, I prefer the spring mix.
Instead of a population that's 100% homogenous, I prefer a mix of races, cultures, religions, sexes, heights, hairstyles, cuisines, abilities, and opinions.

These are examples of variety. Some people prefer more (or less) variety than others. Those exposed to too much diversity, seek more homogeneous communities. Those that long for more variety, actively seek more diverse communities.

This forum is a pretty good example of diverse opinions coming together. It wouldn't be nearly as interesting (and not at all entertaining), if we all brought the same perspectives to these topics.

This may not be the most exciting response, but it helps answer the question.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:08 AM

500 posts, read 2,855,708 times
"Diversity" means to me living in New York City. Seeing people of all colors and countries, eating food from all over the world, hearing languages I never thought I would, experiencing a variety of opportunities and possibilities...

"Diversity" is the opposite (and I'm talking stereotypes here now) of living in an all-white suburb with an Applebee's restaurant or in an all-black ghetto with a fried chicken joint.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:44 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,921,252 times
It really does mean different things to different people-depending on what your perspective is. Even the term multi-cultural can be debated for hours on end and has been. Some people focus on these things on a very superficial level in America-never getting beyond the surface.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:50 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,049,794 times
For me, when I hear the phrase 'seeking diversity' when someone is look for a new neighborhood I simply assume they are looking for a place where there is a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds, experiences, and opinions represented. In my current neighborhood, I can go down the street and easily hear several languages ... and on my block there are people from Ukraine, El Salvador, Mexico Poland ... and Minnesota, Texas, and the burbs. And quite frankly, I like it that way

Old 03-25-2007, 12:53 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,327,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
"Diversity" means to me living in New York City. Seeing people of all colors and countries, eating food from all over the world, hearing languages I never thought I would, experiencing a variety of opportunities and possibilities...

"Diversity" is the opposite (and I'm talking stereotypes here now) of living in an all-white suburb with an Applebee's restaurant or in an all-black ghetto with a fried chicken joint.
My sentiments exactly, my fellow Manhattan-ite.

For those of you who feel Diversity is a negative, I think you have bigger issues than the word alone.

Accepting diversity does not mean accepting gangs, terrorists, "shoe bombers", etc.. When you try to include those words in your argument against diversity, you make it crystal clear that your beef is not diversity, but the fact that you don't want to live in a inhomogeneous environment. You can welcome ppl from different cultures and ethnicities, celebrate each others differences and decry the bad elements of society.

Just grow a pair and admit it.

Last edited by PrettyHateMachine; 03-25-2007 at 01:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies