Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:02 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times

Advertisements

In my personal experience, the most diverse place I've ever lived in is my current area in Northern Virginia. Although it may be partly the result of ever-dwindling land, people of various ethnicities and income levels live amongst each other or at least in close proxmity and interact on a regular basis. I'm certainly not saying that it's utopia but it is a different environment for me than my hometown of Philly. I used to think that city was diverse but I now realize that most of it is self-segregated, whether by choice or circumstance.

I do think that some people equate diversity with a progressive, middle-class (or higher) community which might happen to minimize or discourage conversative or lower-class residents. If that's truly what someone wants, they have the right to ask about it. If there's anywhere that one can be honest about what they're looking for, this is the place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 02:30 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I do think that some people equate diversity with a progressive, middle-class (or higher) community which might happen to minimize or discourage conversative or lower-class residents. If that's truly what someone wants, they have the right to ask about it.
Of course they have that right. People are just not usually specific in that way. It is funny that lower class residents and conservatives would both be considered equally undesirable-at least by some. But it is probably true for many "so called progressives". Again, people don't want to take the risk of being called too pc or a hypocrite and I think this is where much of the vagueness lies. I mean look at me here- I am already making sarcastic quips. Self proclaimed, "so called anything" is really what I can't control myself from goofing on. I think I need to check myself.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:54 AM

291 posts, read 1,113,546 times
Default It's really pretty simple~

For the life of me, I can't understand why people seem to get so hung up on this term. If you are seeking someplace diverse, it likely means that you would like to live in a place where if you are black, hispanic, an interracial couple, a non-American - the list goes on - you will not stick out like a sore thumb, you will not find it hard to gain acceptance, you will not be stared at when you go to the mall, your children will not be isolated... If you're being realistic and honest, you know that these and other groups of people are still NOT readily accepted or welcome in many communities throughout the country. If you don't happen to belong to one of these groups or other minority groups (not just categorized by race, perhaps religion, sexual orientation,etc.) you may find it hard to understand that this is a very important consideration for many. It doesn't necessarily have to do with color either. In some places if you are Catholic instead of Baptist for instance, you may find it hard to fit in. If you are not particularly religious at all, you may find it hard to fit into a community where religion is a primary part of life. Lastly, it doesn't mean that you'd like to live in some 'hood where crime is rampant - in case you were unaware, many of the people seeking "diversity" actually have educations and seek a high standard of living, too! Shocking, I know. It means that you'd like a nice mixture of people - a desireable community where all are welcome as long as they are good neighbors.

It's really not all that complicated.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:12 AM

23 posts, read 77,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
For the life of me, I can't understand why people seem to get so hung up on this term. If you are seeking someplace diverse, it likely means that you would like to live in a place where if you are black, hispanic, an interracial couple, a non-American - the list goes on - you will not stick out like a sore thumb, you will not find it hard to gain acceptance, you will not be stared at when you go to the mall, your children will not be isolated... If you're being realistic and honest, you know that these and other groups of people are still NOT readily accepted or welcome in many communities throughout the country. If you don't happen to belong to one of these groups or other minority groups (not just categorized by race, perhaps religion, sexual orientation,etc.) you may find it hard to understand that this is a very important consideration for many. It doesn't necessarily have to do with color either. In some places if you are Catholic instead of Baptist for instance, you may find it hard to fit in. If you are not particularly religious at all, you may find it hard to fit into a community where religion is a primary part of life. Lastly, it doesn't mean that you'd like to live in some 'hood where crime is rampant - in case you were unaware, many of the people seeking "diversity" actually have educations and seek a high standard of living, too! Shocking, I know. It means that you'd like a nice mixture of people - a desireable community where all are welcome as long as they are good neighbors.

Good Post ....................................

Old 03-28-2007, 12:15 PM

My experience is that most people who seek "diversity" in their search for a place to live are above average on the formal education scale. But they are not always minorities themselves which is what makes this topic so interesting in the first place. On the more liberal coasts(where most of my adult living experience has been) many people who have not experienced discrimination themselves claim to be looking for a diverse environment. In the NY area- racial diversity vs ethnic diversity are two very different ball games. When people say diverse they often hope for a "diverse" poplulation minus a certain group of people or peoples. Diversity is in the eye of the beholder or in this case the home seeker.

The question really is -why can't people be more specific? If they are the majority-are they afraid of being called a bigot? If they are a minority-are they afraid of being labeled or bringing extra problems on themselves? The racial divide transcends liberalism much more so than the other so called divisions(ethnic, religious, etc). That is a non issue for many and for others it might be considered life or death. Unless you have walked in someone else's shoes you don't really know what is tolerable for them. Your idea of a liberal diverse haven may be very different from someone of another background.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:39 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:

Actually, it is complicated. What you described is not diversity, it's tolerance.

Not to mention, the word "diversity" used alone is vague. Is it racial diversity? religious diversity? ethnic diversity? economic diversity? linguistic diversity? political diversity? educational diversity? One word does not adequately distinguish between these different ideas.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Your idea of a liberal diverse haven may be very different from someone of another background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Actually, it is complicated. What you described is not diversity, it's tolerance.

Not to mention, the word "diversity" used alone is vague. Is it racial diversity? religious diversity? ethnic diversity? economic diversity? linguistic diversity? political diversity? educational diversity? One word does not adequately distinguish between these different ideas.
I believe I clearly expressed that the "idea" of diversity can vary greatly from individual to individual, I simply offered examples that exist. And I beg to differ - it IS quite simple. For some reason, people just seem to want to complicate it. On the contrary, what I describe IS diversity. One definition of diverse is "composed of distinct or unlike elements or qualities <a diverse population>" A "diverse" community would directly lend itself to "tolerance", as you say. One word does adequately express this. Once again, diversity can be explained as simply meaning that there is a mixture of all shapes, sizes, colors, religions, political affiliations - the list goes on_ and ALL are welcome.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
And in many places- selective tolerance. But very few people are willing to admit it.
Everywhere I have lived would be considered tolerant and very diverse by some standard. All I can tell you is its always been good for me. Just me.

What should be is very different than what is. An idea or a concept is very different from reality usually. If my idea of diversity is different from yours should I just humor you as to avoid making waves?

Old 03-28-2007, 01:28 PM

I'd like to add that I don't believe folks who seek "diversity" are expecting a parallel universe where everyone always gets along, you'll love all of your neighbors and visit regularly bringing various baked goods, that you will never be disliked by someone, that you will never experience conflicts among other members of the community, etc. It simply means that in such a community, there are several DIFFERENT types of people, thus making it less likely that any one group would be singled out.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:37 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
A "diverse" community would directly lend itself to "tolerance", as you say. One word does adequately express this.
My hometown in rural South Carolina is diverse, yet intolerant. This is one reason why I say that the concepts of diversity and tolerance are different.

While I think your statement reflects how most people use the term, I don't think that makes it correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies