Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:57 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,985 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am wondering what people mean by "Seeking Diversity":

*Does it mean seeking to live among the "Militant Underclass"?
*The criminal element?

Growing up "Diversity" meant: I was going to get hassled, My ass kicked and Robbed of my possessions, my girlfriend would be accosted, etc.,

So when I here the word "Diversity" I run for cover...lol

Or does it mean things like:
*Theatre, great Food and restauraunts,Literary bookclubs, good Universities,Kind and thoughtful folks and a well educated populace? If so that is the kind of place I am looking for...

So please explain what "Looking for Diversity" means to you and why you are seeking it.
Please keep this post clean and let us try to learn from one another
Best Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 12:24 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
For me~seeking diversity means that someone is hoping to relocate where there is a mixture of races and culture. They'd be searching for Italian Restaurants along with Mexican restaurants and others. They'd be interested in attending events to learn about other cultures. They'd want their children to go to school with several races in order to learn to accept all people.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:41 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
Quote:
DeLasalle: Hello All,

I am wondering what people mean by "Seeking Diversity":
I know you already know the answer!! I think you're trying to create a few waves in the calm ocean of City-Data!

Old 03-25-2007, 01:14 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times
Default I think I know what it really means. Why would anybody seek it??????

That word has always been a turn off for me. To me it means quotas, it means having to deal with peeps that are in place because of something like race, gender, nationality, or whatever. Kind of like everybody get a badge and you are in a pigeon hole. A very PC way of life.

I worked in a fairly large company before all that became popular. Peeps from all over the World, was like being in the UN. Wasn't bad, nobody was pushing anything. Peeps didn't have any kind of badge or label. They were just themselves.

If they are twisting the word around to mean different peeps in the same neighborhood I hope not. It is now code word speak for a lot of negative things in my mind.

If they want

seeking diversity means that someone is hoping to relocate where there is a mixture of races and culture. They'd be searching for Italian Restaurants along with Mexican restaurants and others. They'd be interested in attending events to learn about other cultures. They'd want their children to go to school with several races in order to learn to accept all people

Then invent some other word. In fact I doubt you got to seek it. Any big city is overflowing with immigrants (legal) and illegals from all over the World. I started to feel like I was in a foreign country in Boston. It can be horribly overdone. At some point I want to feel I belong to where I am living. Difficult to do that in a place that has all the types you find in the UN.

Might have all happened before but the melting pot is busted and they don't have a clue how to turn off the spigot. Lot of peeps have lost their "Roots" in a lot of towns because of this Diversity gone wild.

Sad thing it is all over the World and is being plugged as a huge plus. I don't want to go to Italy to see another UN. I want Italians doing what they always did. Pure cultured countries are not bad.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
For me~seeking diversity means that someone is hoping to relocate where there is a mixture of races and culture. They'd be searching for Italian Restaurants along with Mexican restaurants and others. They'd be interested in attending events to learn about other cultures. They'd want their children to go to school with several races in order to learn to accept all people.
Why do you feel the need for this to accept all people?? Are you saying that if they don't they CAN"T accept all people...
I consider Accepting all people to be rudimentary in a civilized upbringing. Don"t you??

BTW Jamie with all due respect: How much "Diversity" might a kid get in SD??
Does that make them "Bad" people who should be "Demonized"?

So by your logic "Every State should Import Diversity(whatever that means)?

That is exactly why I take vacations:
*Rome
*Venice
*Lucerne
*London--Yuck disgusting
*Paris
*Munich
*etc.,etc.....

And why i've visited and/or lived in most US States...

Old 03-25-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
That word has always been a turn off for me. To me it means quotas, it means having to deal with peeps that are in place because of something like race, gender, nationality, or whatever. Kind of like everybody get a badge and you are in a pigeon hole. A very PC way of life.

I worked in a fairly large company before all that became popular. Peeps from all over the World, was like being in the UN. Wasn't bad, nobody was pushing anything. Peeps didn't have any kind of badge or label. They were just themselves.

If they are twisting the word around to mean different peeps in the same neighborhood I hope not. It is now code word speak for a lot of negative things in my mind.

If they want

seeking diversity means that someone is hoping to relocate where there is a mixture of races and culture. They'd be searching for Italian Restaurants along with Mexican restaurants and others. They'd be interested in attending events to learn about other cultures. They'd want their children to go to school with several races in order to learn to accept all people

Then invent some other word. In fact I doubt you got to seek it. Any big city is overflowing with immigrants (legal) and illegals from all over the World. I started to feel like I was in a foreign country in Boston. It can be horribly overdone. At some point I want to feel I belong to where I am living. Difficult to do that in a place that has all the types you find in the UN.

Might have all happened before but the melting pot is busted and they don't have a clue how to turn off the spigot. Lot of peeps have lost their "Roots" in a lot of towns because of this Diversity gone wild.

Sad thing it is all over the World and is being plugged as a huge plus. I don't want to go to Italy to see another UN. I want Italians doing what they always did. Pure cultured countries are not bad.
You are a "Poet" cosmic...

Old 03-25-2007, 01:42 AM

So every thing "Diversified" means we don't want to go on trips cause everyone is the same everywhere?? Yuck...

Old 03-25-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Even Shoe-bombers, terrorists, and Barbarianians, etc....

Old 03-25-2007, 02:59 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I know you already know the answer!! I think you're trying to create a few waves in the calm ocean of City-Data!
Exactly.

And this thread should be in the Politics subforum.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Exactly.

And this thread should be in the Politics subforum.
Oh here comes dull and boring to Spew on this thread...
But you are right! How to get this moved??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies