Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:26 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Nope, I think they should be forced to take their chances with produce from Latin America, just like the rest of us.
I am not forced to eat non-organic fruits and vegetables, why are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 05:31 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I am not forced to eat non-organic fruits and vegetables, why are you?
Actually, I grow my own veggies or eat frozen ones in the off-season. I can't AFFORD the store-bought organics. Is Obama going to tackle THAT issue? Not bloody likely. Americans only eat what they can afford and the contamination of our food supply remains a big risk.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Great idea. Kudos to them

Old 03-19-2009, 06:07 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Our grocery stores label both organic and non-organic produce as to country of origin. Of course, Monsanto, Archer Daniels and Tyson are behind this bill. Monsanto, corporation that introduced genetically modified food to the world. Monsanto, the corporation that goes into other countries and gets patents on native crops so farmers have to pay them for seed. These companies can't stand the competition as more and more people switch to organic foods. I have to educate myself further on these bills, but a lot of people were against Tom Vilsack as Sec'y of Agriculture. .
Clip from cited article:
Modernization Act of 2009, was introduced by Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., in February. DeLauro's husband, Stanley Greenburg, conducts research for Monsanto – the world's leading producer of herbicides and genetically engineered seed.
House Resolution 875, or the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009, was introduced by Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., in February. DeLauro's husband, Stanley Greenburg, conducts research for Monsanto – the world's leading producer of herbicides and genetically engineered seed.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I read the entire article and that's not what I got out of it. Whenever there is an outbreak of food-borne illness, everyone wants to know where the food came from. This bill is designed to do that. Contaminated food is no joke, no matter who is growing it.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
so what, they don't support the ag industry???

Old 03-19-2009, 08:21 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
I say great, everyone should have a garden that has a spare patch of dirt, does the body good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I read the entire article and that's not what I got out of it. Whenever there is an outbreak of food-borne illness, everyone wants to know where the food came from. This bill is designed to do that. Contaminated food is no joke, no matter who is growing it.
Well the problem with the 2009 food safety act (or whatever it is called) is that it remains ambiguous. I have farm status but I do not grow commercially, so as it is stated right now, I couldn't sell a tomato on the side of the road without having proper licenses. In fact the definition on what a "producer" is, hasn't been well defined and could for all intents and purposes mean anyone who grows a pepper in a potted planter.

I agree with the premise of it, but as it is now it is vast, sweeping, non specific, and crudely written.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:18 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,434 times
Text of H.R. 875: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009.
GovTrack: H.R. 875: Text of Legislation, Introduced in House

An op-ed.
OpEdNews » Monsanto's dream bill, HR 875
"The bill is monstrous on level after level - the power it would give to Monsanto, the criminalization of seed banking, the prison terms and confiscatory fines for farmers, the 24 hours GPS tracking of their animals, the easements on their property to allow for warrantless government entry, the stripping away of their property rights, the imposition by the filthy, greedy industrial side of anti-farming international "industrial" standards to independent farms".

Not that Congress has ever passed legislation which has incurred unintended consequences right!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:52 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I've taken inspiration from this and am already preparing my "Obama Depression Garden".

Old 03-19-2009, 10:26 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Nope, I think they should be forced to take their chances with produce from Latin America, just like the rest of us.
Nobody's forcing you to eat produce from Latin America. Austin has great local farmer's markets. And is the home of Whole Foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies