Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the US need to invade Mexico to take care of the drug cartels?
Yes 10 14.93%
No 46 68.66%
maybe 10 14.93%
Dunno 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:38 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No TM - I am for upholding the rule of law. I am for protecting our nations sovereignty. I am for protecting our nations borders. I am for stop the invasion of illegal immigrants into our country.

I am for (as so is Obama) for putting the military on our borders

I am for all the things you are not for TM.

GD.. I'm all for protecting the border and even putting troops there.

What I"m against is shooting an unarmed person on site. You are aware that there are even children that come across that border.. should we just shoot them all as the come? Really now, that's absurd and in human.

Don't presume to tellme what I'm for or not for. I happen to value human life other than just my own! You don't shoot unarmed people trying to escape a horrible existence into something better. It's just wrong and morally bankrupt !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,185 times
Anyone hear the rumor that the Mexican state of Monterrey might secede?

Anyway? No, we won't invade Mexico. it might be a good idea to increase troop strenght near the border and do as Greatday suggested about people sneaking across.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:05 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
I can't rule it out, to take care of the trouble regions, but I'd give it a probability of 1% or so. Most likely, we will provide assistance to the mexican government in terms of predators and other surveillance vehicles as well as likely training to deal with insurgency.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,618 times
just legalize the weed

Old 03-20-2009, 10:02 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Will the US need to invade Mexico?
thats crazy, and mexican americans would side with mexico

Old 03-20-2009, 10:03 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
Anyone hear the rumor that the Mexican state of Monterrey might secede?

Anyway? No, we won't invade Mexico. it might be a good idea to increase troop strenght near the border and do as Greatday suggested about people sneaking across.

wasnt their a proposal on that but the bush admin turned it down? mexico has militarty on its southern border be we cant have ours and wont put ours?

Old 03-20-2009, 11:38 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Put our military on the border with weapons at the ready. If someone trys to sneak across our border, put a warning shot "across the bow". If they ignore that warning shot ... "sink them"
I've been saying for many years that military bases should be established all along the borders (and it would have to extend to the southeastern states, too). The best opportunity was after 9/11. There's not only the problem with illegal immigration, and the drug cartels, but it's also an easy pathway for terrorists.

However, our law-makers and politicians live in another plane and are too far removed from reality to see the problems.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:58 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
just legalize the weed
Amen. Legalize and tax it. That would transfer billions from the drug cartel's coffers into ours with the stroke of a pen. And save billions in prosecution and incarceration. Economic crisis solved.

"Prohibition... goes beyond the bound of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded"
-Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-20-2009, 04:56 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Invade to what end? Cartel members could obviously just melt away into the civilian population for a while. So would the military be used to conduct house-to-house searches inside of Mexican cities? THAT would go over well... if you think IRAQ had insurgents... Mexico is a country that produces drone aircraft and fields millimeter-wave radars; they aren't quite as backwards as we often think.

No; this isn't really a problem that could be solved with a US military invasion. Ideally there would be a multi-pronged plan with border security and drug legalization/re-regulation that would sap two trades in particular from the cartels: marijuana and cocaine.

Mexico's problems are mainly along the US border and down south along a strip of land along the Pacific coast (Sinaloa into Guerrero state). If you can suck the profits out of the cartels, they would be vastly weakened. They wouldn't be able to bribe and hire as many Mexican security personnel or officials anymore.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times
We could end this problem if WE just stopped buying their dope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies