Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 11:36 AM

594 posts, read 1,044,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
To counter the outragefrom Limbaugh and all of those "Hannitized" people, way too many of them are on this forum.
Bush was too arrogant to do likewise. He probably would have slashed funding from Special Olympics the next day (if he made the remark).
So he saw nothing wrong with his statement; he was just trying to lessen the PR hit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 11:38 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
So he saw nothing wrong with his statement; he was just trying to lessen the PR hit?
Don't play stupid.
That ? does not even merit a response, but anyway...
a verbal apology should have been enough.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:41 AM

707 posts, read 1,022,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
The fact that the POTUS was on a comedy show should give you insight into his character. Where have all the adults gone?

You know, get over it...The man was on Leno. No matter what you claim his motives are, he is trying to reach out to "the people". Goodness, Every single thing that he does no matter what is scrutinized. No jacket in the white house, the world is going to end, buy something for the kids the world is going to end and god forbid he should read his speach from a teleprompter instead of a sheet of paper. Come on people, there are bigger issues going on right now.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:42 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
When you have someone like President Obama who has a narcissistic/elitist attitude one can only expect these kinds of comments towards the Special Olympics and those like them.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Don't play stupid.
That ? does not even merit a response, but anyway...
a verbal apology should have been enough.
Was it enough for Trent Lott or Don Imus?

Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times
The one thing I actually respect about conservative Republicans is their usual disdain for the era of "politically correct" speech. Nice to see they now enforce political correctness when the man they hate abandons it for one second.

Not being a fan of political correctness myself (no matter who the speaker or audience may be), I thought the comment was funny.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:50 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
Was it enough for Trent Lott or Don Imus?
Those folks have a reputation of offending people and have big time issues about the subject they offended (race).
Obama does not have a history about offending Special Olympians.
If this is the best "outrage" that Repugs can come up with against Obama these next 4 years, bring it on.
I don't think he's going to joke about not finding WMD's in public.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
The one thing I actually respect about conservative Republicans is their usual disdain for the era of "politically correct" speech. Nice to see they now enforce political correctness when the man they hate abandons it for one second.

Not being a fan of political correctness myself (no matter who the speaker or audience may be), I thought the comment was funny.
I don't think any Republican really cares about Obama's comment. As you stated, Republicans hate political correctness because they see it as a threat to free speech. They are just having a good time dishing out the same crap to Obama that Bush was subjected to for 8 years by Democrats. I don't really blame them.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:57 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I don't think any Republican really cares about Obama's comment. As you stated, Republicans hate political correctness because they see it as a threat to free speech. They are just having a good time dishing out the same crap to Obama that Bush was subjected to for 8 years by Democrats. I don't really blame them.
I can accept that on a holistic level.

But on a personal level, it still strikes a nerve. Why? I was never a "Bush-basher". I highly disagreed with his administration ideologically and felt many of the decisions they made were wrong, but I was never a childish basher of Bush. So all of this childish bashing of Obama (who I agree with ideologically and whose actions so far I approve of) on the internet gets on my nerves. Guess it's the nature of the beast though.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post

I don't think conservative Republicans are trying to enforce political correctness in this situation as much as they are the same standards that were enforced on Bush by liberal Democrats (i.e. no margin for error, no matter how trifling).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies