Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should men have a say in their unborn childrens fate ?
Yes 82 63.57%
No 42 32.56%
I'm a man and feel uncomfortable answering 5 3.88%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:46 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikeman View Post
I'zz b'zz sorry bozz.

As long as you know where you stand.

In the rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 09:00 AM

457 posts, read 757,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
As long as you know where you stand.

In the rain.
Yes mam.

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o467/geewhizg6/35F135F125B15D.gif (broken link)

Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
I'll admit haven't read all the responses but for me the answer was very easy. I'm so sick of the it's my body, my choice folks. As if terminating a pregnancy and a life are equivalent of getting a tattoo removed. In the case of rape and incest the situation of course is a little different but in a normal healthy relationship between man and woman yes if the man is willing to step up to a plate he should have a say. The woman didn't make the baby by herself.

Last edited by terrence81; 01-08-2010 at 09:24 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 AM

10 posts, read 8,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Until it is delivered--even after it is delivered--it's a parasite. It can't fend for itself without a host to feed and protect it.
I know that, and if theres was a way for me to carry it, i would, but there isn't , but ultimately what i was trying to say is that the father should have more rights when it pertains to the woman getting an abortion. He should be able to say No, i want the chance to raise my baby, and i want the chance to be the father. i'm not saying his word should be final, but i think if he is willing to be a man and stand up and say im willing to do the right thing and take care of my responsibility his word should be at least thought about and taken into consideration instead of being told its none of his business or his right to say or do anything. i do believe the final word will and should always be left up to the woman , but why cant the man have some type on input in it. thats all i'm saying. let his word at least be heard.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:26 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
I doubt that this could happen but it'd be interesting if a man could sue a woman to force her to keep the baby and if she gets the abortion anyways well she either goes to jail or gets sued. Extreme I know but this would insure that the rights of the father is protected.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 AM

10 posts, read 8,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I doubt that this could happen but it'd be interesting if a man could sue a woman to force her to keep the baby and if she gets the abortion anyways well she either goes to jail or gets sued. Extreme I know but this would insure that the rights of the father is protected.

see i wouldn't mind if it was able to come to that, but at the least if he is willing to take responsibility, his decision should at least be thought of, like me, i want the chance to raise my baby, i helped make it, so why cant my feelings be taken in consideration. just because its her body doesnt mean she should be the only one with the say to keep it or not, she didnt inpregnate herself, just because she doesnt want it, it doesnt mean i dont. i love my baby with all my heart and theres nothing i wouldnt do for my baby, even though its un-born. Not many men are like me, alot of men want nothing to do with thier baby born or un-born, so when a man does stand up and say they want it, its really un common, but should be highly respected. If he's willing why not give him the chance

Old 01-08-2010, 11:08 AM

457 posts, read 757,009 times
^^^
Aside my enjoyment in giving men haters a "hard" time, If I were to be told that someone could tell me what I could or couldn't do to/with my own body it would P**S me off too. It would be a tough call for me to consider that as being a reality. However, if I were in a relationship and my GF felt strongly about something like getting snipped I would at least respect her enough to consider her view and not tell her to get f***ed because "It's my body".
(Mutual repect as a partner)

Old 01-08-2010, 12:55 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaKEPmyBABY View Post
ok first off i can afford to raise a child, but after i spent over 700 dollars on her getting a rental car cuz she wanted a comfortable ride out of town to go to court for something she did, hotel room, food, gas, and everything else she wanted, not counting we were out of town for a week so i had to wait to get money again, so excuse me for not having unlimited funds to let a girl use me for everything i got. and you might wanna know more of whats going on before you decide to make a post like that cuz in the end when the rest of the story comes out, it only makes you look bad, i know im not perfect, but i am trying my best to do everything i can for her and the baby. now when she says she has a new boyfriend how is it my responsibility to buy her anything but food?!?! and how is it my responsibility to feed her friends?!?! i feed her cuz that feeds my baby. but how is it fair that she knows im a good guy, and knows i wanna be there and uses that against me to get her way? No offense but it's people like you who make me sick and make it hard for us decent men to have anything. At least i'm out there everyday doing everything i can to make sure i have an oppertunity to keep my baby, now i have never told her she had to keep ythe baby, all i have ever told her is i wish she would keep it, and you know what she says? she says "if you want me to keep it then quit telling me no when i ask you for something, and it doesnt matter if i have a boyfriend cuz im telling you to get me something not him"
so pull ur head out of your @ss
if you don't want people to come to conclusions like the one I posted then you should post more information than what you did. your post I refered to made you both sound like very immature young people. a young man with out enough money to buy more than a pizza for his pregnant ex girlfriend and a young vengeful selfish girl who is out to hurt er ex and emotionally black mail him.
yes men should have a say in what happens when they are a couple and an unplanned pregnancy happens. in most cases of responsible people both parties take into account what each other wants and makes a choice based on what both want.
many people would argue to you that you should have kept it zipped up in your pants until you knew this girl long enough to know what sort of person and what she is capable of. I do not think that is the case, I think that goes against human nature. people are sexual and sex happens, now what?
you are finding out the now what. your situation I think will be many years of frustration based on how you describe the mother. you can't close the barn door and now have to deal with this girl and try to do the right and best thing for your baby. I do not envy the life your baby will have with a mother like the one you describe. giving birth will not mature her only give her more ability to push your buttons by the sounds of things.
I think your choice is to figure out how you remain emotionally free of her games. you should get a lawyer. you should be there for the baby and not be there for her whims. limit your contact with her, perhaps talk to her only on the phone until the baby is born. pay your child support and take your visitation. try to have as much positive influence on the child as possible. if the woman is unstable try for full custody if you have too.
your situation is another reason why we need more education in schools about birth control and safe sex. again the thread is about abortion and if men should have a say. men do have a say when the couple is responsible. it is only in unstable and irresponsible relationships, or when a woman is on her own that they don't have a say. a woman should not have to carry a baby to terms and turn it over to a man because he wants it. that makes her an incubator and forcing her to give birth. so ultimately it is a woman's body. her choice. she should be the last word. good luck to you

Old 01-08-2010, 03:03 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
First off I don't pretend to have all of the answers but this issue seems out of hand and unfair.

How would you resolve the problem that men have NO say so regarding their unborn children but that woman can turn around and LEGALLY FORCE him to financially support the child for 18 years ? It seems grossly unfair.

If a man wants the baby and she says "no, I'm running off to the clinic" then too bad for him. If he says "I'm not ready or can't afford a baby" she says "too bad, I'm having it and you'll just eat ramen noodles for 18 years".

I propose that unmarried women who get pregnant MUST notify the man by a certain time and if she has the baby against his will fine but NO CHILD SUPPORT. Likewise, if he wants the baby and she doesn't, the baby goes home with him from the hospital and again, NO CHILD SUPPORT.
.... .
I propose that Men and Women start obeying the moral mandates that the Creator has layed down which protects against such things as this issue you raised. The issue wouldnt need to be considered if people would stop using one another for a mere, non committal, self centered copulation....but America is so lost that it refuses to give up the favorite pastime of sexual hedonism that is Media promoted and encouraged.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:33 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I propose that Men and Women start obeying the moral mandates that the Creator has layed down which protects against such things as this issue you raised. The issue wouldnt need to be considered if people would stop using one another for a mere, non committal, self centered copulation....but America is so lost that it refuses to give up the favorite pastime of sexual hedonism that is Media promoted and encouraged.
asking people to obey a moral mandate of a/your creator does not take into account all the people who do not believe in your god or your value system. humans are sexual even the ones with a strong belief in a god and unwanted pregnancies happen all the time. so your suggestion is not the least bit realistic in terms of changing anything. better education and availability of birth control is a better answer then asking folks to not have sex. women are the ones that mostly have the responsibility for a pregnancy wanted or not. this is the reason why it is a woman's choice to do with what she pleases with her body. sorry guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies