Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 05:11 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
I don't really care what their reasoning is. The US is not the only determiner of threatened species. The International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources also lists the polar bear as vulnerable. I don't really care if they're wrong either, because humans have a very poor track record of saving species that are being decimated by humans. The whole web of life is severely threatened right now, and we shouldn't be killing any of the large animals near the top of the food chain.
More ignorance.
#1, The danger we face is loss of creatures at the bottom of the food chain not the top.

#2 Humans, largely thru sport hunting have an excellent track record of saving animals that were decimated by past hunting.

#3, polar bears are not being decimated.

Quote:
I don't really care why. Maybe the Canadian gov't doesn't care about saving the polar bear.
Maybe they know that its a non issue & seeing as they know more about it than you perhaps you should listen. I think saying that they dont care is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 05:12 AM

960 posts, read 1,162,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Not quite the same as a tribe isolated above the arctic circle is it?
It's the same in that they both want the hunts for money. The only isolated tribes these days are in the Amazon jungle.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 AM

960 posts, read 1,162,321 times
Quote:
#1, The danger we face is loss of creatures at the bottom of the food chain not the top.
Mosquitoes aren't endangered.

Quote:
#2 Humans, largely thru sport hunting have an excellent track record of saving animals that were decimated by past hunting.
Save them by killing them? Surely there's a better way.

Quote:
500 polar bears killed per year by humans across Canada, and only 25,000 bears worldwide = being decimated. Canadians are killing off an already tiny population at a rate of 2% per year! I don't really care if that death rate is sustainable for now; it's certainly not natural, which means extinction is a possibility.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Well - I think it is really safe to presume these hunts will continue for a very long time.

And personally - I would love to do one of the hunts -

Old 03-22-2009, 11:37 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Nothing childish about it. Men who have to go out and kill for pleasure have a serious problem with their manhood. Guess you're one of them.
Women do it too, or you don't think women are capable?

Old 03-22-2009, 12:04 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
There seems to be two camps on one side of this issue. Non hunters, and rabid anti hunters. The Non-hunters view the issue through an approach of non judgmentalism, ie: "it's not my bag, but who am I to judge" and the anti types fly into rabid name calling, emotional rhetoric, and a superiorist attitude of "you are wrong" if you are a hunter and then call ones "manhood" into question. As if hunters (trophy or otherwise) are ENTIRELY comprised of males. Whoa , I says. Lol, now the Polar bear hunts that we are discussing here, seem to be dominated by the 'trophy" kind of hunter. I do think that the hunter should earn his animal. And I'm pretty sure that most of them do. I kinda doubt that there is a bunch of road hunters, sipping wine in posh quarters and taking a leisurly stroll 50 yards from camp to harvest a Polar bear. It's a tough hunt when done by the rules. I see a far bigger problem in other areas than these Arctic guided hunts. I lived in a small valley in NorCal my last two years of high school. There was a HUGE problem with poaching game (and there still is) by greedy idiots selling parts to the Asian aphrodisiac market. These clowns would run down game with dogs and slaughter wholesale just for antlers, hoofs, gall bladders and paws. If one wants to get rabid about "hunters" lets ALL get down on those ***holes. I can see a common agenda there.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:47 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
I dont see why people are getting into so much a ruckus about killing a bear. after all people are not this incensed when women go out and have abortions.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
It's the same in that they both want the hunts for money. The only isolated tribes these days are in the Amazon jungle.
I believe that there are some isolated communties of aborigial people in both the state of Alaska and in Northern Canada as well.

A few years ago a friend from one of the Northern tribes brought us some muk-tuk---I couldn't eat it but my son loved it.

According to the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries of Japan. Japan has over 4000 tons of whale meat stockpiled...so I don't know what money there is to be made there by commercial whaling at this time. Several of the largest seafood companies in Japan have discontinued offering it.

The controversy between the Makahs and Sea Shepherd et al has been going on for a long time. It's my understanding that Keith Johnson has stated more than once that the tribe has no commericial aspirations for whale meat.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:06 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:
More ignorance.

Maybe they know that its a non issue & seeing as they know more about it than you perhaps you should listen. I think saying that they dont care is ridiculous.
People should educate themselves before they post, rather than respond in a knee-jerk way, with a misinformed opinion:

Most Polar Bears Gone By 2050, Studies Say

Study Says Polar Bears Could Face Extinction (washingtonpost.com)

Scientists: Most Polar Bears Dead By 2050 - CBS News

Old 03-22-2009, 02:07 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Women do it too, or you don't think women are capable?
Of course they do, and they are. The vast majority are men, thus the focus of my post. But I think Sarah Palin is an excellent example of a woman without a heart. And there are many like her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies