Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 05:18 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
We have "managed" forests around where I live, that look exactly like clear-cuts. We have nothing but lip service for saving declining salmon populations. And on & on. So sorry if I don't believe these people.
Thats relevant how? Are you saying your salmon are over fished or is it something else? How much money or time have you spent working to change it?

Quote:
Yes, because I'm a student of history, which is replete with examples of species being decimated for profit.
A very poor student you must be if you havent noticed that regulated sport hunting & increased game numbers go together.

I'm quite aware of the animals in the past that were hunted to extinction. This is entirely different & you know it. This just bothers you, so dont look, it concerns you not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:22 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
No, just to the wimpo punks that like to gun down animals.

Makes you feel big to do so eh? Who's the punk.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:02 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Rest assured that millions and millions of people share my belief that the polar bears should be saved at almost all costs including relocating or imprisoning the Inuit.

and billions more either dont give a damn, or do not feel the way you do. want to save something? then go out and help save humans before saving an animal.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Wow, relocate or actually imprison the Inuit? Ummm, good luck with that. Thats a really extreme position. I find that hard to fathom. I'm thinkin' the Inuit might just have an issue with that, as would most people with a lick of common sense. The local tribes around here shoot eagles and other raptors for cerimonial feathers and such, I think thats pretty messed up, but I'm not willing to go to war over it. The law says they have a right to do what they will on the reservations. I reckon if you can't handle what goes on on tribal lands, you don't have to hang out there.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
OK fellow hunters, what caliber and rifle would you choose to hunt polar bears? I have a 7WSM, I'm a fan of the caliber, but not for dangerous game. I'm thinking .375 H&H or .375 Ultra Mag, loaded with Barnes Tripple Shocks. Synthetic stock for the environment. What optics for the conditions? Has to be rock solid reliable, not freeze or fog up. Would you go open sights like so many dangerous game rifles, or scoped? As to action, bolt or double rifle?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:15 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Optics-wise I'd go with a US Optics SN3.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:33 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Wow, relocate or actually imprison the Inuit? Ummm, good luck with that. Thats a really extreme position. I find that hard to fathom. I'm thinkin' the Inuit might just have an issue with that, as would most people with a lick of common sense. The local tribes around here shoot eagles and other raptors for cerimonial feathers and such, I think thats pretty messed up, but I'm not willing to go to war over it. The law says they have a right to do what they will on the reservations. I reckon if you can't handle what goes on on tribal lands, you don't have to hang out there.

Very well put.

I'm no proponent of the polar bear or whale hunts myself, but people like Heiwos hurt their own causes more than they help them.

I'd like to see some data that shows how millions of people support forcibly relocating the Inuit tribes....

Old 03-23-2009, 02:31 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
OK fellow hunters, what caliber and rifle would you choose to hunt polar bears? I have a 7WSM, I'm a fan of the caliber, but not for dangerous game. I'm thinking .375 H&H or .375 Ultra Mag, loaded with Barnes Tripple Shocks. Synthetic stock for the environment. What optics for the conditions? Has to be rock solid reliable, not freeze or fog up. Would you go open sights like so many dangerous game rifles, or scoped? As to action, bolt or double rifle?
My choice might seem a bit offbeat, but I would go with the Marlin 95 in 45-70. If I was going to do a dangerous predator hunt I would feel like I needed to get up close and personal. The old 45-70 has a lot of hard hitting power as well. When we tracked down that old calf killing cat back in the day, none of us were armed that heavy really. One guy had a .22 magnum, I was packing my 94 Marlin in .45 Colt and the third guy (my Indian buddy) had a 12 guage 870 Remington loaded with #4 Federal Premiums. It was the latter that brought the kitty down, and at very close range. Since Polar Bear would be hunted in open country I figger the 45-70 would do just fine with the right load and a shot inside a hundred yards. If conditions were such that I had to pick something with optics and a longer range bottleneck cartrige I guess I'd go with the 300 or 375 H&H in a Model 70 Winchester or or Maybe a Remington 700 long action.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:38 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
My choice might seem a bit offbeat, but I would go with the Marlin 95 in 45-70. If I was going to do a dangerous predator hunt I would feel like I needed to get up close and personal. The old 45-70 has a lot of hard hitting power as well. When we tracked down that old calf killing cat back in the day, none of us were armed that heavy really. One guy had a .22 magnum, I was packing my 94 Marlin in .45 Colt and the third guy (my Indian buddy) had a 12 guage 870 Remington loaded with #4 Federal Premiums. It was the latter that brought the kitty down, and at very close range. Since Polar Bear would be hunted in open country I figger the 45-70 would do just fine with the right load and a shot inside a hundred yards. If conditions were such that I had to pick something with optics and a longer range bottleneck cartrige I guess I'd go with the 300 or 375 H&H in a Model 70 Winchester or or Maybe a Remington 700 long action.
No arguing the effectiveness of the .45-70 at close range. Given the speed that a bear can run, I'd just as soon have something with a little flatter trajectory...a touch of standoff distance would make me feel better! My buddy hunted mountain lion in his younger years, lost a couple of dogs when he couldn't get to the hounds in time. He packed a .44 mag. I give your buddy credit hauling the 12ga around after a cat. I hate to admit that I'm not in shape for that sport...elk are all I can manage.

Glad to see you mentioned the M70 before the 700-my pick as well.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,018 times
Quote:
Wow, relocate or actually imprison the Inuit? Ummm, good luck with that. Thats a really extreme position.
I'm talking about the extreme case when nothing else has saved the polar bear from imminent extinction. Some people in the Makah tribe (WA state) killed a whale, against the law. They were given a slap on the wrist from the tribe but if they do it again they'll likely go to jail outside the tribe. Yes millions of people think humans over other animals always, but millions of others disagree.

Quote:
I reckon if you can't handle what goes on on tribal lands, you don't have to hang out there.
Total conservative B.S. What they do can affect us all, so we (or Canadians) will regulate them however we want, and do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies