Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 05:04 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,306,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
"Soley"?

Anyways, that's not what I said. What I said is that the Federal Government spends a lot of money on itself in Alaska. But the rest of working Alaskans (private sector) also pay taxes, which in turn is given to you by the Federal government.
Alaska presently receives far more federal funds than taxes paid.
I know you've participated in threads where this was linked.
But here's the site again: The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxing and Spending Benefit Some States, Leave Others Paying Bill
That's $1.84 benefit for every $1 in federal taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 05:08 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,306,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Why are we focusing on Palin when the election is over? Could it be we aren't suppose to focus on Obama and all his blunders? She isn't the only governor who has reservations on the bail out money.
Maybe because the thread is entitled Governor Palin.
No one is forcing you to participate.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:16 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,411,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Alaska presently receives far more federal funds than taxes paid.
I know you've participated in threads where this was linked.
But here's the site again: The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxing and Spending Benefit Some States, Leave Others Paying Bill
That's $1.84 benefit for every $1 in federal taxes.

Do you recall in what year Governor Palin was elected?

It was 2006. That means she took office in 2007.

"Using newly released Fiscal Year 2005 spending data from the Census Bureau's annual Consolidated Federal Funds Report, the Tax Foundation compared the federal tax burden in each state with the amount of federal spending in each state. The result is a ranking of which states got the best deal in 2005 from Uncle Sam's tax and spending policies."

The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxing and Spending Benefit Some States, Leave Others Paying Bill

Do you see the problem?

Old 03-21-2009, 05:28 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,333,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Refusing to be sucked into a vortex of irresponsible and unsustainable spending along with the inevitable dependency it will bring, Governor Palin acted in the interest of Alaskans by declining nearly half of the borrowed money our children be forced to repay.

Moms for Sarah Palin: Governor Palin refuses 45% of Stimulus Money (http://www.momsforsarahpalin.com/2009/03/governor-palin-refuses-45-of-stimulus.html - broken link)
I watched this video. I thought it was very good, and showed what a smart woman she really is. This is the reason the left really hate her. She just makes too much sense.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I take it education isnt a priority for you either.
He didn't say that. Did you even read his post? Or is your response yet another indication that liberals don't know how to read, which is an indication that (as bighouse said) throwing money at education does not automatically equate to better education.

He is right when he says that test scores continue to go down, no matter how much money the government pumps into the system.

The problem is not money. Rather it is the curriculum. I don't even think that it is the quality of the teachers (in most cases). They are required to teach certain things (again, curriculum), and prevented from teaching others. Textbooks have been rewritten over the years, and are packed full of "liberal" lies and garbage. The average high school student today has no clue about how our government was formed, why the founders created it the way they did (three separate branches, separation of powers).

American history really isn't taught anymore, and certainly not civics (apparently). Our schools, simply put, are a mess. Why? We have been throwing money at them for years. Clearly, lack of money isn't the problem.

If you listened to Palin in that video, she did not reject all money for education.

She is right to reject what comes with strings attached.

Personally, I am opposed to all of this doling out money to the states and everyone who asks. We're in deeper trouble because of this, than we would have been just dealing with the mortgage problem.

Obama has made everything worse. There is no question.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:11 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,411,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I watched this video. I thought it was very good, and showed what a smart woman she really is. This is the reason the left really hate her. She just makes too much sense.
I expect the next set of interviews will have an entirely different flavor.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakening Escapade View Post
Palin doesn't give any appearance of even understanding the terminology of responsibility.
This is just another PALIN FACT and not a PLAIN FACT! Palin is playing games- obviously she thinks she has a political career in the future. She says she isn't going to accept stimulus funds, then she is going to take part-but she'll let others talk about taking the rest- so she can try and use that down the road as another way of taking no responsibility.

IF PALIN IS RESPONSIBLE ANSWER A FEW BASIC QUESTIONS
1. Why did she charge Ak for flying her kids around?

IF PALIN Cares about unborn babies- why did she risk her full term unborn baby by flying during labor from TX to AK?
IF PALIN is valuable to special needs children organizations as a spokeswoman- why did she just turn down stimulus money for them??

IF she has accountability - WHY didn't she apologize for charging for the things she is paying back ?

IF She has family values-- WHY DID SHE ALLOW LEVI TO MOVE INTO THEIR HOME? - BRISTOL"S TEEN BOYFRIEND LIVING IN THEIR HOME- IS FAR FROM FAMILY VALUES!!!
Why are you bringing up these old tired lies and meaningless non-issues? Virtually everyone of those things has been discussed before, traced to liberal blogs like mediamatters, moveon, or other liberal sites, and all of these things have been debunked. And who gives a damn who is living in her house? Is that for you to be concerned with? Do you even know if it's true? What business is it of yours if she flies while pregnant (in labor??? doubtful)
  • What about Pelosi flying around in military jets.
  • Why aren't you outraged about Barney Frank, Chris Dodd and the rest of that bunch scamming millions for themselves from Fannie Mae, and yet they are now in charge of "fixing" the problem?
  • Why aren't you outraged by a tax cheat like Geitner being in charge of the treasury?
  • Why aren't you outraged by a government that can simply vote to tax a certain group of people at a rate of 90% or higher (retroactively) for bonuses that they authorized!
  • Why aren't you outraged by the out of control spending, and poor monetary policies that most probably will result in another Great Depression?
Sorry, but people like you make me furious.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
During GWB's administration, federal education expeditures increased by a half. When is enough enough?

Let's fix the broken system with vouchers that will take the NEA out of the driver's seat and put the parents in charge for a change.
Which is as it should be.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
Maybe I'm stupid. Please let me know how this decision is anymore then political given the fact that Gov Palin has accepted federal money hand over fist prior to the stimulus.
And your source? Links please?

And what state has not taken Federal money in the past when offered? It's called PORK, and "earmarks".

Why are you singling out Palin?

Old 03-21-2009, 05:21 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,761,834 times
Hey, man, I'm still chuckling that she's taking 69% of the money .. hee hee ...

But for her to bash Obama for his dumbash remark on Leno AND THEN REFUSE money that would go toward the very people that she considers our most precious citizens .... can you say hypocrisy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies