Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
The ONLY way to opt out of social security is if you are a "minister" or on some religious ground.. We'v ealready covered this. Opting out is NOT as easy as you would like to make it out to be.
Uh ... If you work in many civil service positions in California, you do not contribute towards social security. I haven't had a dime contributed into social security for years as my contributions went solely into my pensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 07:57 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Maybe you should calm down and wait for a proposal to be floated by the Obama administration... Then and only then can you read the details and decide if there is anything to be concerned about.

Until then you just sound a lot like Chicken Little.
So we should just wait and allow our government to tell us how much we are going to be taxed. I really do not trust our government to provide us with full details until it's too late for us to do anything.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:01 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Medicaid is not a part of this.
The point you are missing is that everybody paying taxes is
NOW already paying almost 3% to cover a portion of the population(those over 65)

The hope that the same 3% or even 5% would support the entire population is absurd.
If you're talking about getting absolutely FREE care without any type of copays, then yes.

However , that's not what we're talking about.

IN the UK system, I believe, that there is a segment of the population .. like the poor and elderly, that are not required to pay copays at visits. Everyone else is.

I don't object to $20 copays for Dr. or $10 - 15 copays for prescriptions and slightly more for generics based on a tier. I believe that this would NEED to be implemented in that way, in order for it to work.

It may also need to be higher percentage than currently contributed for medicare/medicaid.. but the difference would be that the person contributing would actually benefit from it. 5% even slightly higher certainly beats over 30% of income for private insurance (refering to an earlier post with a real life example.. which, btw, is not my own).

Old 03-22-2009, 08:02 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
The ONLY way to opt out of social security is if you are a "minister" or on some religious ground.. We'v ealready covered this. Opting out is NOT as easy as you would like to make it out to be.
Nor is it as "hard" as you suggest either TM. I've "been there, done that". You haven't.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Uh ... If you work in many civil service positions in California, you do not contribute towards social security. I haven't had a dime contributed into social security for years as my contributions went solely into my pensions.

Thats because you work civil service... and it's a benefit available to you due to what you are actually employed as.. same as a clergy having that option.

It's not available to everyday citizens working regular jobs.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
so.. basically you are worried about a small segment of the population who are "underground" and are thereby breaking the law more so than you are about a larger segment of the population that actually works, pays taxes AND follows the law??
Nope, wrong again little girlie.

But, and here is the reality of the world little girlie: When you suggest changing a system that will impact EVERYONE, you have to look at EVERY segment of society that will be affected. And, this is a fact. You will I'm sure deny it - but, it does not make it any less of a fact.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nor is it as "hard" as you suggest either TM. I've "been there, done that". You haven't.

GD.. we've already established onanother thread that you opted out for religious reasons and on religious grounds. In that discussion I've searched extensively for any other reason that would allow you to opt out and the ONLY one that comes up is on relgious ground, particularly if you are a clergy , pastor, minsiter.. priest or what have you

I suppose then , we can all get ordained on line and then claim we want out of SS (I'm not saying that's what you did.. I"m just saying the fact that it is easy is absurd..or even feasable.) .. You also have to prove your religous ground is on religious ground.

You want to say that what I say is not true (religious ground etc.) yet you won't enlighten us on other methods to do it.. so in otherwords, the fact that it is easy is a line of BS from you!

Old 03-22-2009, 08:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Thats because you work civil service... and it's a benefit available to you due to what you are actually employed as.. same as a clergy having that option.

It's not available to everyday citizens working regular jobs.
Some municipal employees in Colorado contribute to PERA, the Public Employees Retirement Fund, instead of SS, and in Illinois (when I lived there), some contributed to IMRF, the Illiniois Municipal Retirement Fund instead of SS. I don't know how that all jibes with SS and medicare.

Here is a little fact sheet on medicare funding:

http://www.kff.org/medicare/upload/7305_03.pdf

Old 03-22-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Yup.. that's what I was paying for me and my son.. actually with a deductable and copays on top of that. To someone making, say $30K a year (if they are self employed and bringing in that much say) that is 32%.. 32% of their income!!!! EEEK
But, another poster said that in their case, the premium was LESS THAN 10% of their income - is 10% too high?

Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nope, wrong again little girlie.

But, and here is the reality of the world little girlie: When you suggest changing a system that will impact EVERYONE, you have to look at EVERY segment of society that will be affected. And, this is a fact. You will I'm sure deny it - but, it does not make it any less of a fact.

Well..you are obviously NOT looking at every segment of society with all of YOUR suggestions.

You're only looking at how to keep the blood sucking insurance companies alive and thriving.. and NOT finding a solutino to getting everyone (accept those that decide to LIVE ILLEGALLY) covered!

I'd say it's much better to leave out the criminals who choose to thwart the law without insurance than the 30 million plus citizens who actually contribute to this country uninsured.

Atleast het underground would have the option to JOIN the insuredn by simply living within the law.

And stop with the little girlie lines you crass old man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies