Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 08:09 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
You take out the middle man (the insurance company), streamline/reform everything, computerize medical records and hospitals become "trusts" and are primarily financed by government grants, not by their own endless billing cycles. That means far fewer admin staff, less overhead and no profit margin to protect.
So, all the hospitals were government owned and operated?

In the United States, most (not all) hospitals and clinics are privately owned and operated.

What would be your suggestion as to these private hospitals? Close them? Have the government take them over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,008,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
But, another poster said that in their case, the premium was LESS THAN 10% of their income - is 10% too high?

I already answered that in another posts.. go find it and read it if you want the answer

Old 03-22-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Open up something like that to everyone, with reform as BCreas suggested.. and it the pool of people spreads out.. dispersing the cost among an entire population.
Ah - so you WOULD support legislation that would allow insurance companies to sell their products across state lines - as it would increase the pool of potential insureds - lowering the costs.

2,266 posts, read 2,291,700 times
Quote:
But, another poster said that in their case, the premium was LESS THAN 10% of their income - is 10% too high?
It's not 10% for everyone. Americans pay far more on healthcare than any other nation on earth. Personally, I see a lot wrong with that picture.

People seem to be under the impression that every other country on earth is taxed to death because of universal healthcare. This simply isn't true. The standard of living in UHC countries is just the same as the US in most cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Some municipal employees in Colorado contribute to PERA, the Public Employees Retirement Fund, instead of SS, and in Illinois (when I lived there), some contributed to IMRF, the Illiniois Municipal Retirement Fund instead of SS. I don't know how that all jibes with SS and medicare.

Here is a little fact sheet on medicare funding:

http://www.kff.org/medicare/upload/7305_03.pdf
That's great and that is a part of their municipal employment.. not available for a majority of citizens. AND are they not then required to contribute to one or the other.. in otherwords, they can't opt out of SS unless they put money into the Retirement Fund? So at the end of the day it's almost equivelent or the same thing.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:13 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
If you're talking about getting absolutely FREE care without any type of copays, then yes.

However , that's not what we're talking about.

IN the UK system, I believe, that there is a segment of the population .. like the poor and elderly, that are not required to pay copays at visits. Everyone else is.

I don't object to $20 copays for Dr. or $10 - 15 copays for prescriptions and slightly more for generics based on a tier. I believe that this would NEED to be implemented in that way, in order for it to work.

It may also need to be higher percentage than currently contributed for medicare/medicaid.. but the difference would be that the person contributing would actually benefit from it. 5% even slightly higher certainly beats over 30% of income for private insurance (refering to an earlier post with a real life example.. which, btw, is not my own).
You're wrong again.
Free??
We certainly do pay co-pays...20%
plus we continue to pay almost $100 a month for Part B of Medicare
Since that 20% could mean many many thousands of a hospital bill, that means needing a supplemental policy...in our case $175 each per month.

I won't even get into the prescription plan because for anybody on expensive meds, that is disastrous.
Our FREE Medicare is eating almost 30% of our income.(and thankfully, we have income other than Social Security. I don't know ho those on SS alone can possibly manage.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Ah - so you WOULD support legislation that would allow insurance companies to sell their products across state lines - as it would increase the pool of potential insureds - lowering the costs.
GD.. if that's what is needed right now to change something yes.

But i am opposed to a blood sucking profit mongering middle man standing
between me and my healthcare. ..PERIOD.

My hope is that private insurance as the main access to healthcare fades away.. and they become more supplemental than anything else...similar to that of the UK.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:14 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,188 times
Quote:
Nor is it as "hard" as you suggest either TM. I've "been there, done that". You haven't.
I don't know ANYONE who knows how to Opt Out of Social Security...

You claim it's not hard..

What exactly does one have to do to opt-out?

Old 03-22-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You're wrong again.
Free??
We certainly do pay co-pays...20%
plus we continue to pay almost $100 a month for Part B of Medicare
Since that 20% could mean many many thousands of a hospital bill, that means needing a supplemental policy...in our case $175 each per month.

I won't even get into the prescription plan because for anybody on expensive meds, that is disastrous.
Our FREE Medicare is eating almost 30% of our income.(and thankfully, we have income other than Social Security. I don't know ho those on SS alone can possibly manage.

I was mistaken on including medicare in that statement.. Medicaid however, is s different story. I also acknowledged that contribution would have to be higher than currently, but that certainly beats paying 30% of your income for a third party so that you can have access to healthcare.

AND.. in the UK model, seniors are not subject to the copays as well as the poor and I believe college students (I could be mistaken on that last part).

Old 03-22-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
GD.. we've already established onanother thread that you opted out for religious reasons and on religious grounds.
Ah - that is your assumption girlie. That is the vehicle I took. But, its simply because I did not like, nor want to pay into, social security. Social security is a scam - a major Ponzi scam. And, its going to run out of money - and they admit it.

Starting in 2014 - they will begin paying out more than they are taking in. So, in addition to everything else - you can expect to see your SS taxes GO UP - they are going to have to.

Add this increase in this tax - add it to your health care tax and ....

Well - hopefully, you get the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies